EMT workers....biker talk....and other stuff

[quote=“Baas Babelaas”][quote]Let me first say that YouTube is a pretty large part of my life right now…as sad as that is. Mainly because my videos are popular and I have “fans” from all over the world. Here is what 167 of them say about me: youtube.com/profile_comment_ … h13&page=3
[/quote]

Clicked on the link, with no luck.

Is it cuz I’m in The Happy Democratic Land of Mainland China?

Will enter 'Mordeth" on youtube, and see how far I get…[/quote]

No. I am enjoying the delights of the Motherland too, and I can view them. Shanghai Telecom ADSL if that helps.

Great vids. I feel so sorry for normal Taiwanese people when the idiots start ranting with their You Cannot Criticise Taiwan inane comments. It makes the Taiwanese in general look so stupid and narrow-minded, when in fact of course they are fully aware themselves of the shortcomings of the place, and take them in their stride and just get on with life. God, those chip-on-the-shoulder spoilt brats are embarrassing and annoying!

Keep up the good work!

Got it!

Suggest a goody…

BTW, I’m getting pysched-up about getting a big bike. They’re taking off in SA more than ever before (we’ve always had ‘big bike culture’), and are way more petrol-efficient than cars…

Problem is…I’m still in Ch-ch-china.

[quote=“Baas Babelaas”]Got it!

Suggest a goody…

BTW, I’m getting pysched-up about getting a big bike. They’re taking off in SA more than ever before (we’ve always had ‘big bike culture’), and are way more petrol-efficient than cars…

Problem is…I’m still in Ch-ch-china.[/quote]

Suggest a good one?

Here are five that I like:

1. youtube.com/watch?v=rVQF4tzMQSA Me doing a comedy skit kinda vid

2. youtube.com/watch?v=31xuKIz9Vjk Me dancing and getting caught by roommate

1. youtube.com/watch?v=kPI6FtYKGn0 A ride in Taipei county with " Motorcyclerider" from these forums.
  3. youtube.com/watch?v=UtJ6iWk7pUk I ride a Ducati for the first time.

1. youtube.com/watch?v=QWNle5phIBg A vid that more accurately represents the “style” of the majority of my other vids.

[quote=“Baas Babelaas”]Got it!

Suggest a goody…

Problem is…I’m still in Ch-ch-china.[/quote]

i saw an ad here in the USA bout some bikes made in china. They had this 250cc thing that loooked like a 650cc and looked great !! And it wasnt that cheap or expensive. was like 3500 dollars (as opposed to your average 650cc being bout 6500 to 7500). I liked the looks of it. NOt sure if it will all hold together but?

i think kai needs to realise that taiwan is not so perfect as he feels… he blames the traffic on the amount of people, while half the problem is driver training, not the population…

The vids are not the reason we hate you :wink: They are the reasons we like you despite all the other things.

This is not a personal attack, but a reccomendation. I love your videos Mordeth, but I feel that if you want to make comments about other people’s riding/driving, then you should at least try a little harder to follow the rules of the road yourself. I understand that this is Taiwan and it’s not possible to always follow the rules of the road without quickly becomming cream cheese, but in the first vid I watched called “two idiots on scooters” you stopped on a zebra crossing at a red light without anything immediately behind you and with plenty of time to stop, in the next video I watched called “red line rant”, you went off it about the guy on the red line, when you were croosing lines without indicating, failing to give way, and you stopped on a zebra crossing. Perhaps a habit that has come from riding a bigger bike that requires more space, I understand, I would love to see more of your videos of bad riding/driving by others where your comments would be stronger when showing a greater example.I used to ride the same way and so am guilty of the same thing, but I know that I shouldn’t get so outraged at others when I often practice some ill mannered or illegal moves myself.Peace! By the way, you do inspire me to make more of my own videos in Taiwan to show the things that could so easily be improved upon, but I believe it takes everyone’s effort to improve.

That was some well written criticism and I thank you for it.

But there is a big difference in those that I criticize and myself (at least in MY mind there is) and that is…that the ones I complain about are an actual danger to others. Stopping on a zebra crossing…doesn’t endanger anyone…and if I stopped behind it…then I’d just get boxed in when 10 other scooters show up and stop in front of me.

And then there’s the whole arguement that if you followed the letter of the law…then you’d crash. But that doesn’t apply to the guy riding a scooter talking on his cell phone…or the woman who blindly ran a red light causing me to swerve around her…and those were the types of people I was complaining about. If you see me complain about someone stopping two feet over a stop line…then feel free to come back and call me a hypocrite.

But I still do see your point. And those are older vids…I try to be more aware now that I have more viewers…and a responsibility to them. Just don’t expect me to start riding slower anytime soon…I’m still trying to improve my skills so I can go faster…hehe.

[quote]Stopping on a zebra crossing…doesn’t endanger anyone[/quote]Yes it does, try be a pedestrian sometime, do you remember what they are ? Where are they supposed to cross ? The cars that DRIVE OVER MY FEET presumably thought it wasn’t dangerous either.

Great to hear! I’m glad you’re trying harder, it gives me hope that we can all still encourage each other to do better. Stay safe all and please try to keep encouraging some of the morons on the road that make the road death toll so very high here in Taiwan.

Mordeth do you know of any way to actually use some of your videos perhaps by submission to a local office so that they can be an example of what is wrong with local traffic regulation abuse and how it can be improved upon? I know it’s a long shot to actually assume that the local government wants to do anything about it at all, as the police never do a stroke of actual enforcement work, other than giving out very cheap traffic fines, but it is my hope that anyone here can lead us some way in promoting a better environment for ourselves and our children.
Perhaps a few of us could get together on this and compile some video critiques that could be more impactual to the masses than by just standing on a box shouting and having chairs thrown at us. If I get a second to that idea, then I might just start right now.

True, and of course there wouldn’t be road traffic laws and regulations without reason. Zebra crossings are for pedestrians and even though a bike might only obstruct, it may be that the obstruction causes every pedestrian to be diverted into a dangerous zone or situation. We may not always see clearly the need for order, but it does often make sense (not all of the time) when more closely examined. I think that perhaps makes a good point as to the greater local problem, in that I believe it is the lack of thought and insight that many people make when disregarding other road users. Many a time I have pointed out another driver’s poor form, only for them to misunderstand the need for conformity.

True, and of course there wouldn’t be road traffic laws and regulations without reason. Zebra crossings are for pedestrians and even though a bike might only obstruct, it may be that the obstruction causes every pedestrian to be diverted into a dangerous zone or situation. We may not always see clearly the need for order, but it does often make sense (not all of the time) when more closely examined. I think that perhaps makes a good point as to the greater local problem, in that I believe it is the lack of thought and insight that many people make when disregarding other road users. Many a time I have pointed out another driver’s poor form, only for them to misunderstand the need for conformity.[/quote]

I could argue the whole crossing thing…point out that it was an empty crossing…and if you watch my downtown vids you’ll never once see people having to walk AROUND my bike or scooter…but once I start to argue…then this thread will go to hell…and that’s the main reason I didn’t want to post about this in Forumosa in the first place.

It’s interesting how I’ve gotten over a thousand profile comments, msgs, and video comments…and not once has anyone complained about the things that it only took 3 or 4 posts to get to on this forum.

Anyway…if anyone else wants to call my riding dangerous…feel free…but FIRST PUT UP A VID OF YOUR OWN RIDING FOR COMPARISON. It would only be fair.

That’s because your 1000 replies are all from people who have no idea what Taiwan, or motorcycles are about, whereas we all know Taiwan and riding here inside out, just like you do, so it’s a tougher room than youtube land… To all the people who don’t know anything about bikes or riding in Taiwan there’s nothing to notice, but with us you’re preaching to the choir…

That said I think your videos are fun… They provide a view of the Taiwanese motorcycle experience that people outside Taiwan would never have access to otherwise, I guess that’s the reason behind the popularity of youtube, you get to look into other people’s worlds for a second… Don’t worry Mordeth, we’re not out to get you, like you already hinted at there are no burnt bridges here, only slightly singed ones, and we all know who started the fires to begin with… :wink:

Keep up the good work… :bravo:

Oh and one of these days I swear I’m going to come and check out this uber track you guys go karting at…

Explain something to me:

You complain about taiwanese riding tehir scooters while talking on the cell phone, saying it is dangerous…but you are filming a bloody video while on your bike!!! How is that any less dangerous or less stupid than someone talking on a cell phone??? This means that a certain percentage of your attention is on what you are filiming, your camera equipment and not 100% focused on the road…dangerous in deed!

[quote=“Quarters”]Explain something to me:

You complain about Taiwanese riding tehir scooters while talking on the cell phone, saying it is dangerous…but you are filming a bloody video while on your bike!!! How is that any less dangerous or less stupid than someone talking on a cell phone??? This means that a certain percentage of your attention is on what you are filiming, your camera equipment and not 100% focused on the road…dangerous in deed![/quote]

well he does have it taped to his face and its hands free :slight_smile: LIke its gonna be law in california soon to be able to use the cell fone only if its HANDS FREE . Its already a law in parts of the world.

Interesting videos Mordeth. Haven’t had time to look through them all but interesting none the less.

I’m going to be getting a scooter soon and while I feel I have a good understanding of how people drive here I’m still not sure that I won’t be in some accident the first month out.

Actually it is the population. I once had a conversation with a taxi driver about a street we were going down. He said 10 years ago or so, the street had a normal traffic flow. Now, this street, a major one in Yong He is consistently jammed. Not because of the driving, but because of the increase of population in Yong He, and how the politicians haven’t done anything to incorporate this increase of population in making things flow smother in Yong He…

Zebra crossing is no no.
When motorbikes and scooters do that where I’m crossing I do my best to bump into them leting them know they block my way.

I do about the same when I have green man and the car’s are crossing my feet. I do my best to take out there mirror with my elbow’s, but so far I have only ben able to knock them out off position on one Taxi.

I don’t think population alone can explain that situation. It’s more likely a combination of factors, not least of which is the greater availability of credit and a willingness by Taiwanese to use it to buy cars, for example.

There are also more people living outside of Yong He heading into the city. A population shift rather than an explosion.

HG

as I see it… it’s 10% over population, 10% non existant driving ability/ethics, 20% piss poor city planning and infrastructure and 60% fundamental lack of law enforcement… from traffic violations, to parking violations, to placement of road side advertising, pot plants, pedestrians, you name it… If they enforced the laws they have, we’d have a 70% improvement in traffic situation in Taiwan…

I know it wont’ happen anytime soon, but I am holding my breath…
but only because the air pollution’s so bad…
:wink: