English breakfast

I am looking for a place in Taipei or Taoyuan where i can eat an English breakfast. Its something I really miss since coming here from England, does anybody know any places that do cuisine from the UK?

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Wouldn’t mind knowing myself for future reference. I can only tell you of a place in Kaohsiung.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Wouldn’t mind knowing myself for future reference. I can only tell you of a place in Kaohsiung.[/quote]

Both On Tap and Carnegie’s both do full English breakfast’s all day on the weekends.

Is English breakfast still looking like this?

sorry giving you more home sickness lad :laughing:

Last time I had such a treat was in 1993 when angling near Drumnadrochit . Everything after that or outside the UK tasted worthless.
Let me know when you find a genuine AND tasty spot here. I’d say difficult to find as they will process the cheapest ham, use canned tomatoes and mostly oversee the mushrooms as serving rice instead of baked potatoes.

In Taipei there is a British restaurant, the Pot Pie Cafe, on Fuxing S Rd just south of the Heping Rd intersection. Might want to try it there.
Street view: maps.google.com/maps?q=maps+tai … 2,115,0,0

For anyone down south, Conway’s in Zouying (Kaohsiung) is pretty good. I go there about once a month and leave satisfied. :smiley:

[quote=“taiwanreporter”]In Taipei there is a British restaurant, the Pot Pie Cafe, on Fuxing S Rd just south of the Heping Rd intersection. Might want to try it there.
Street view: maps.google.com/maps?q=maps+tai … 2,115,0,0[/quote]

Thanks Klaus ! If a German can recommend a UK joint for a Breakfast - it must be better than OK. :wink:
Has been put on “to do” list.

Thanks for trusting my recommendation, but I’ve never actually set foot in that restaurant. Looks nice, though.

[quote=“ceevee369”][quote=“taiwanreporter”]In Taipei there is a British restaurant, the Pot Pie Cafe, on Fuxing S Rd just south of the Heping Rd intersection. Might want to try it there.
Street view: maps.google.com/maps?q=maps+tai … 2,115,0,0[/quote]

Thanks Klaus ! If a German can recommend a UK joint for a Breakfast - it must be better than OK. :wink:
Has been put on “to do” list.[/quote]

The Pot Pie is Taiwanese-run. I think the boss studied/lived in the UK for a bit, but I doubt you’ll get 100% authentic British fare there (which is not to say it’s not good food, mind).

I have tried the English breakfasts at both On Tap and Carnegie’s. Though both get the nod, I’d give On Tap the advantage due to some very tasty sausages. And the breakfasts do look very similar to the picture above.

[quote=“the bear”]
The Pot Pie is Taiwanese-run. I think the boss studied/lived in the UK for a bit, but I doubt you’ll get 100% authentic British fare there (which is not to say it’s not good food, mind).[/quote]

Removed from the 'to do" list.
Not one single TW boss operated restaurant here sticks to the original ingredients as to Quality before Earnings.
I bet the sausages are the sugarish Porter ones and the bacon will be low tier fat from Costco or the local vendor. I will be waiting to be proven wrong.

An English BF as the above pic should cost at least 250 -300 NTD when using top-notch sausages, Real Tier 1 bacon , blood worst as ripened big tomatoes, adding cooked and afterwards baked potatoes. Only the beans are allowed to be canned.
Everything less than 250 NTD is doubtful to be high quality as original tasty.

So YOU are the bastard who caught Nessie? :laughing: I bet I’ve had breakfast at that very same place, also while angling. Small world. My parents live about 30 minutes away from there. Lovely part of the world. Especially the brekkies.

Not to spoil the party but a proper English fry up is a greasy, fatty affair, with builders tea and free copies of the Sun lying about the gaff. :smiley: Things died when they stopped allowing you to smoke as you ate! That’s the full English I love and cherish and that is what would be most hard to find in Taiwan. Ironically the best fry ups for me have always been served in Northern Ireland.

I haven’t had a full English for months, come to think of it. I should get one down me this weekend at my local establishment…http://www.getcafe.co.uk/listing.php?view=727400&from=details It’s changed names and is called ‘The toast Office,’ these days.

So YOU are the bastard who caught Nessie? :laughing: I bet I’ve had breakfast at that very same place, also while angling. Small world. My parents live about 30 minutes away from there. Lovely part of the world. Especially the brekkies.[/quote]

Been long time ago but I think it was the Kilmore farmhouse B&B where sheep were running in front of the yard. You should now how much I love the Scotties since my PM somewhere in 2005. Despite loving Asia and having found hidden gems - best ever holidays were in the land of the brave. Whiskey trail from East to West and Angling trail from North to South. Wish I could do it again one day.

As for the brekkie - those were simply the BEST EVER as we faced each day cold rainy weather while trying to hook Nessie- without success- yet.

No good suggestion for a sturdy UK BF here in Taipei?

[quote=“ceevee369”]
No good suggestion for a sturdy UK BF here in Taipei?[/quote]
Two New Paradise No. 5 and a cup of very strong coffee. That generally does me until around noon.

It’s all about the ingredients - and they simply aren’t available. I second the comments about Ireland offering very good fried breakfasts. You can still get good ones in London (The Cock (?) at Smithfields). Over here you have to accept that the provider simply isn’t going to be able to get good ingredients. If the bacon is essentially watery ham what can you do?

I always thought an English breakfast was smoked kippers fried in milk and butter, on toast, with a yard of ale. :lick:

That’s The Cock Tavern on Portland Street. :smiley: There is also The Old Cock on Fleet Street.

Breakfast of champions. Maybe with a porter ale. Very correct Jimi, these good people are infact referring to the ‘fry-up’.

Can’t wait for my upcoming visit home. Fish n’ chips, pasty (Cornish only), roast dinner and fry-up. Maybe everyday in that order.

So that explains why she wasn’t bloody there when we went :fatchance:

But yeah, we had an excellent fry-up at a restaurant in the middle of nowhere, somewhere off the A82, complete with black pudding (which the S.O. hated, despite being quite happy to eat pig blood cake - 豬血糕) and proper weak tea.

Pot pie cafe: tried it once, and they serve what Taiwanese people imagine English food to be. Close, but no cigar. I didn’t realise it was Taiwanese-owned; I just assumed the owner had let things slide.

You could try that German place (Wendell’s?) behind Carrefour/SOGO near ZhiShan MRT. IIRC they do a good breakfast with real sausages and bacon, but it won’t be exactly “British”.

There are also at least two people in Taipei doing mail-order home-made sausages, but sausagetaiwan has a MOQ of about ~7kg, which would take me about a year to eat.

LOL, I do exactly that, but in the order I happen to come across them. Plus a curry, of course. Flight is on the 19th :lick: