English teacher day in the life video

Check out my vlog I made while doing the AID (government funded) teaching program!
If you have a short attention span, skip to 8:20 to watch the lit ass night club edit. Give me some feedback y’all. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMwiesEe_Is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMwiesEe_Is

Sorry, you lost me at the opening music. :dizzy_face:

3 Likes

Okay, Im not one to brag but Imma have to here.

I’m a professional editor and I watch YouTube A LOT. (meaning I work 40 hours watching videos AND come home and binge more TV. Shame but no shame m’kay)

Here’s my issue with the video.
.1) too damn long. Who is your audience? People who want to be ESL teachers (I was that for a moment) or just stuntin’ on folks back home?

How do you want to use this technology? To educate or just brag? Sorry if I’m blunt but I’m going to have to honest with you, the ESL community doesn’t need any more proof that this is a job, where folks can come and dilly-dallying for x amount of dollars and be on an extended vacation.

11 mins is too long. And the montages are not helpful.

4 Likes

I made this for friends and family not for “professional editors.” I was trying to portray Taiwan in a good light. Like the countries lit, it’s so fun. This is for teenagers like myself so yeah, that is my audience.

I didn’t think you made it for professional editors. However, as a former ESL teacher, Im going to be honest the video is insulting. Many folks don’t come to impress teenagers they are there to work legit jobs and make a living out of it for the time being.

Yes some use it as a Gap year but others in Taiwan have made it a career and those are the people who are impacted by the shits and giggles of your video.

So going forward, please consider the impact you can have by making videos about the profession. Thank you.

1 Like

27 posts were split to a new topic: Asked for feedback ?, smurfing accusations

Looks like someone barely north of 18 made it and I lasted barely north of 18sec total watching it. Looks like you had fun though.

3 Likes

thanks for watching til the end!

2 Likes

I’d be willing to watch if there’s an actual pants-on-fire scene. Please confirm.

2 Likes

Forget the haters. All that’s important is you had fun doing it. Not everything on YouTube needs a purpose or must help others save face. You have to laugh at yourself before you can laugh at others.

1 Like

So, this Taiwan AID Volunteer English Teaching Program is only for overseas ethnic Chinese residing in Australia, New Zealand and South Africa?

As for your video. I watched the entire thing from beginning to end. Sorry, I didn’t like it, but I’m 54 years old and I’m not into Facegram, Instabook, Snapcrap or any other social media tomfoolery.

If this is a promotional video to show other teenage overseas Chinese looking at coming to Taiwan to fritter away a summer pretending to be an English teacher, then you’re probably right on the money.

2 Likes

I’d ask “how?”.

Welcome to our community, OP.

1 Like

He’s actually been around a while.

1 Like

My mistake. I assumed he must be new round these parts.

Please keep your “parts” to yourself.
Thanks very much.

1 Like
  1. I hope you got parental permission to include the students faces and NAMES in your video. What goes online is online forever and some parents prefer their kids not be posted all over the internet.

2. You spoke more Chinese to the students than English. What’s up with that? The program administrators are cool with that? If you really want to help them with English, then you should quit talking to them in Chinese.

3. Stop bribing them with candy. It makes real teaching harder as the kids start to expect treats for doing what they are there to be doing.

This video is not about teaching. It’s about you “hanging out” with your friends while “playing” with some kids.

5 Likes

I would reconsider putting that part with you playing the hitting game with a another student. I understand it’s just a game. But you are their superior and an adult, it’s not appropriate to touch a student in that way.

1 Like

It might be program manager’s problem. OP is just one of participants, and still a minor. Coordinator of the program must manage OP.

I would expect this kind of things have been instructed to the participants.

He actually admitted to “Sneaking into nightclubs underage” on his other video.

Anyway, thanks for sharing. Were you volunteering or getting paid? @L1AM