English teachers nabbed in drug-ring bust (Part 1)

[quote=“Chewycorns”][quote=“fee”]
From an article in today’s Taipei Times (based on a CNA report, I believe):

“The coast guards found 600kg of cocaine, some marijuana and hundreds of ecstasy pills on site.”

600 kg??? Can that be right? :astonished:

Coast Guard nabs English teachers in drug-ring bust

taipeitimes.com/News/front/a … 2003269438[/quote]

That can’t be right :astonished: .6 tons of pot.[/quote]

Coke. If this were to happen back home, these guys wouldn’t be seeing daylight anytime soon. Let’s see what happens.

[quote=“Chewycorns”][quote=“fee”]

“The coast guards found 600kg of cocaine, some marijuana and hundreds of ecstasy pills on site.”

That can’t be right :astonished: .6 tons of blow?[/quote]

It was for personal use only. Teaching English is very stressful.

[quote=“Comrade Stalin”][quote=“Chewycorns”][quote=“fee”]

That can’t be right :astonished: .6 tons of blow?[/quote]

Teaching English is very stressful.[/quote]

Fear and Loathing in Taipei. Heh

Holy mother of Buddha! :noway: 600kg of cocaine?!?! Hundreds of ecstasy pills?

Damn … that Canadian guy should face the full wrath of the law and not just be deported back to Canada.

After four pages of blather, someone finally hit the most significant issue on this subject. Not the fact that the media (and the govt) are incompetent scum who will be happy to portray foreigners in a bad light to make a good story. We’ve all known that for ages. But the staggering magnitude of this bust (if the TT reported it correctly, which is always doubtful). If this really wasn’t just a bag of grass as someone reported above (and as my wife informed me), but was really 600 kg of coke, then this was a humongous smuggling operation and they must’ve been pulling in $50,000 US, not NT, per month.

If the news really is correct (which I doubt) then these guys were incredibly brash (more accurately stupid) and will almost certainly get at least 10 or 20 years apiece. And, if the govt really believes the death penalty is appropriate for drug smuggling, the magnitude of this crime would make it a perfect choice for applying that punishment, though it definitely won’t happen to a bunch of canadians. Moreover, the 600Kg of coke figure is almost certainly a mistake. I’ll be curious to learn the true facts eventually.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”][quote=“fee”]

[/quote]

After four pages of blather, someone finally hit the most significant issue on this subject. Not the fact that the media (and the govt) are incompetent scum who will be happy to portray foreigners in a bad light to make a good story. We’ve all known that for ages. But the staggering magnitude of this bust (if the TT reported it correctly, which is always doubtful). If this really wasn’t just a bag of grass as someone reported above (and as my wife informed me), but was really 600 kg of coke, then this was a humongous smuggling operation and they must’ve been pulling in $50,000 US, not NT, per month.
If the news really is correct (which I doubt) then these guys were incredibly brash (more accurately stupid) and will almost certainly get at least 10 or 20 years apiece. And, if the govt really believes the death penalty is appropriate for drug smuggling, the magnitude of this crime would make it a perfect choice for applying that punishment, though it definitely won’t happen to a bunch of Canadians. Moreover, the 600Kg of coke figure is almost certainly a mistake. I’ll be curious to learn the true facts eventually.[/quote]

First it does in fact paint all of us and not just Canadians in a bad light and because of the “magnitude” it won’t be forgotten anytime soon. You would have had to see the breaking story lastnight to know this. As for the number I gave in an earlier post; that was also a claim I made due to the original broadcast. Easy there big fella.

My days in Law Enforcement are numbered but I truely hope these cops do the best job they can do without being tempted by the obvious corruption within the Government. I want to believe in the cops here. Truely.

If you need a babysitter and a spanking you should rely on the cops to give you one. You do drugs? Be prepared.

Whispers responsibility for your own actions.

[quote=“Chewycorns”]Let’s not turn this into a cultural pissing fest. Many local friends of mine constantly complain about the media coverage and have little regard for it.

Were the TV reports blatantly racist? Yes. Were the actions against the Thai workers that sparked the riots racist and in violation of their human rights? Yes.

Do I feel sorry for the Thai workers? – Yes indeed. For the Canadian dealers. Not very much – they were obviously breaking the law by dealing. We should be very angry at these teachers for sullying the reputation of all of us. The TV journalists, despite their low standards and penchant for sensationalism, are just doing their job.[/quote]

:bravo: :bravo:

Unfortunately, Chewy, your local friends are probably in the minority. This type of coverage provides fuel to the fire of the local entertainment media, which loves to portray Westerners as either evil rejects from abroad come to spread disease and cultural malaise to the local populace, or big, grinning monkeys who are fun to look and laugh at, especially when they are at a safe distance away from those doing the laughing.

If what was reported is true (I have my doubts about the veracity of any media report in any country), I do hope this group is appropriately punished. When Westerners in Taiwan make the news here, sometimes it feels like the media simply needs to find a new “evil foreigner of the month/quarter,” and sometimes it feels like some idiot(s) :raspberry: are sullying the reputation of anyone who looks non-Taiwanese.

Well said. I don’t want my life made more difficult because of a bunch of freaks.

Does anyone here remember about that time, a few years back, when they caught out a group of Turks scamming at convenience stores? In retaliation for the actions of 3 criminals, the Taiwanese government tightened immigration rules on all people from Turkey. My memory’s a little foggy - I think this was around 2002. I doubt they’re going to do anything that racist towards people immigrating from Canada, but with the Taiwanese gubmint, you never know…

Has anyone noticed the ‘hits’ on this thread. Alittle scarey. Less than 24 hours over 1000 hits.

This will be quickly forgotten. The media is already more focused on the Taiwanese pseudo-celebrities involved.

Anyone remember the foreigner in Taichung accused with molesting a teenage girl in a classroom of his bushiban? It happened a few months back, and was in the media but quickly disappeared. This too will quickly be last weeks news.

Good on the Taipei Times for actually running the story. I perused the Taiwan News over brunch and the on-line edition of the Chiner Post just now and found nary a mention. Did anyone watch FTV last night?

As for other respectable rags, the Apple Daily story seems to have lead with the Hong Kong popstar/local “artist” connection etc. angle rather than the Canadian English teacher one, which, let’s face it, is much more interesting to the general public. We on Forumosa may be more concerned with Canadians and English teachers but Joe Taiwan couldn’t care less IMO.

But how about that bit about other suspects getting some immunity if they agree to testify against the top dog. Pretty harsh, eh?

[quote=“Redmenace”]This will be quickly forgotten. The media is already more focused on the Taiwanese pseudo-celebrities involved.

Anyone remember the foreigner in Taichung accused with molesting a teenage girl in a classroom of his buxiban? It happened a few months back, and was in the media but quickly disappeared. This too will quickly be last weeks news.[/quote]

I would have to say that this story is very different. Drugs are increasingly becoming a problem in Taiwan, and I’m sure the government is looking for a scapegoat…who better than foreigners? They blame outsiders for AIDS too. All too easy to point the finger of blame away from oneself.

I would like to see a better screening process for English teachers come out of this but I know better.

personally I don’t believe it is 600 kilograms. I think it is a typo and should be 600gms.

Some weed and ‘100s’ of pills of E is hardly worth a mention if it really is 600 KG.
600 KG would amount to about two PALLETS requiring forklifts etc. If that amount was correct it would be all over CNN etc as world news…seriously.

[quote=“Truant”]personally I don’t believe it is 600 kilograms. I think it is a typo and should be 600gms.

Some weed and ‘100s’ of pills of E is hardly worth a mention if it really is 600 KG.
600 KG would amount to about two PALLETS requiring forklifts etc. If that amount was correct it would be all over CNN etc as world news…seriously.[/quote]

Damn rights. If it was 600 kg as the Taipei Times suggests, Hollywood would be filimg a Taiwanese version of the “French Connection” in Taipei. I wonder what actors they would get to play the Canucks. :smiling_imp:

For any interesed, there is a chinese article on the bust here.

I was going to link these pics, but I’ll just post them instead:

Oh and this case involved 3 Canadians, 2 Americans , an Australian and 1 from HK among others, so quit crapping on the Canadians for those who are. They should all get a good spanking.

Unfortunately it makes us all look bad.

Robert Downey Jr?

Ah yes, I forgot this one.

Wonder what he’s thinking about? :smiling_imp:

As a side note, yes I realize that there is the death penalty here, but I can’t believe that some people would even suggest that it would be appropriate to sacrifice a human life for a charge like this. :loco:

And yes, I even believe in capital punishment, but certainly not for this case.

[quote=“Josefus”]
As a side note, yes I realize that there is the death penalty here, but I can’t believe that some people would even suggest that it would be appropriate to sacrifice a human life for a charge like this. :loco:

And yes, I even believe in capital punishment, but certainly not for this case.[/quote]

well, if the reported 600kg is true, then if that isn’t enough to invoke the death penalty here, what is?

(but as I mentioned earlier, surely 600kg is a typo)