English teachers nabbed in drug-ring bust (Part 1)

Original Title: News ESL TEACHERS & THEIR CRACKPIPES News

I don’t know how many of you saw the news tonight but as I was sitting here in front of the idiot box (TV) when a news flash appeared. Anyhow some foreigners (Canadians) with their Dj Taiwanese friends in Keelong, were busted for possession of coccaine, pot and various other substances. Getting on with the story, the taiwanese press did not concentrate on such a wonderful discovery and triumph of justice but instead successfully labelling foreigners as under qualified trash. I don’t know about the rest of you but the story seemed to fatten up nicely when they, The Press, decided to pass the theory of how the drugs were smuggled into the country and how it is being distributed with ease. How would they know such a thing as to say exactly how it is smuggled (apparently in the mail within books)and to even go so far as to know exactly how it is distributed within the club scene with the help of CBC/ABC friends. BUT NO! Of course no emphesis was put on the help of their fellow countrymen …OH NO that couldn’t be? The stress was put on the FOREIGNERS. All and all making it more of a hassle to break through the stereotyping.

As you all know I sit here and banter on about racism/equal rights and understanding but the one thing I loath is Taiwanese local media (Most media at that). Most of these reporters should be shot and pissed on. Poor examples of reporting. Garbage.

Collective conspiracy? Hmmmmm

Fook’em!

I can’t believe the media went so far as to go and interview local Buxiban’s and request to see Diploma’s and to LOOK at the foreign staff. How? Why? Feed the hype? OF COURSE!

It is one thing to be angry with the media for doing exactly what it is that the media does, shouldn’t the anger be addressed to those whose actions enforce the negative stereotype that bothers you so much?

Stupid cokehead schmucks. Hope they get jail time and not just deported.

Agreed!

Wow. They are in some serious trouble.

Got a link or anything for this anyone?

Equally. My irk in this was the fact that it was “discovered” (my ass) that these rings are successful only by the help of CBC/ABC’s but no emphesis was put on this. Just osrta ran by it. YOINK and gone like the wind.

Got a link or anything for this anyone?[/quote]

You should have seen the haul. Loads of it. It was on the televised news not too long ago. Expect reruins and follow ups for the next few days.

Got a link or anything for this anyone?[/quote]

Thanks jd. I would also be interested in any links. These guys are screwed…

The airlines announce it before landing: DO NOT BRING ILLEGAL DRUGS INTO TAIWAN!

My god. These guys…why don’t people take this seriously???

The press, the police LIVE for a bust like this.

lamb
slaughter

goodnight Irene

I hope for the best: kick their asses but good and deport them forever.

Just say NO to stupidity!

[quote=“jdsmith”]The airlines announce it before landing: DO NOT BRING ILLEGAL DRUGS INTO TAIWAN!

My god. These guys…why don’t people take this seriously???

The press, the police LIVE for a bust like this.

lamb
slaughter

goodnight Irene

I hope for the best: kick their asses but good and deport them forever.

Just say NO to stupidity![/quote]

They reported from sources stating that the drugs are smuggled in hollowed out books. I wonder how they got such information? I can tell you this; if these guys are dealing in these sort of amounts, they wouldn’t be tellin the ROC jack shit. It’s obvious to me that these guys had alot of help from the locals. But as most scapegoats work: stupid enough to take the risk then you’re the idiot going to take the fall. I have a pretty good assumption that these guys were probably makin an extra 50k a month. There wouldn’t be enough money on this island for me to take that sort of risk. No matter how desperate you are. STAMPED Punishable by death and I think the Taiwanese would push for it even if it was only a show of force (in an extreme case).

Theory of the rat? Jealous Ex GF.

Gasp! smuggle illegal goods? what would CKS have done?

[quote=“M0NSTER”]

They reported from sources stating that the drugs are smuggled in hollowed out books. I wonder how they got such information? I can tell you this; if these guys are dealing in these sort of amounts, they wouldn’t be tellin the ROC Jack shit. It’s obvious to me that these guys had alot of help from the locals. But as most scapegoats work: stupid enough to take the risk then you’re the idiot going to take the fall. I have a pretty good assumption that these guys were probably makin an extra 50k a month. There wouldn’t be enough money on this island for me to take that sort of risk. No matter how desperate you are. STAMPED Punishable by death and I think the Taiwanese would push for it even if it was only a show of force (in an extreme case).

Theory of the rat? Jealous Ex GF.[/quote]

I doubt that they would get the death penalty. That seems to be reserved for serial killers.

Ex-gf…that sounds likely…

extra 50K NT?? That’s it?? Fornicate that noise!

[quote]extra 50K NT?? That’s it?? Fornicate that noise!
[/quote]

Petty money. This shit has to cross alot of hands and by the looks of the bust there were a few foreigners there. Everyone tryin to make a buck.

Any chance FTV will have the story on their nightly English news broadcast? :slight_smile:

Well done, Canadian drug dealers. Fantastic. Enjoy your stint in Taoyuan/Sanxia. Not much else you can really say. The news media will run with this one for a day or two as they should. It’s a damn good story.

So, 10-20 anyone?

[quote=“jake on that site”]Any chance FTV will have the story on their nightly English news broadcast? :slight_smile:

Well done, Canadian drug dealers. Fantastic. Enjoy your stint in Taoyuan/Sanxia. Not much else you can really say. The news media will run with this one for a day or two as they should. It’s a damn good story.

So, 10-20 anyone?[/quote]

Ah, but as a Canadian and one who agree’s with out nations “pot” culture, I think this is a tad harsh on all Canadians who may or may not share my point of view. This is going to make it even more tough to break down stereotypes. The way that Canadians are represented in Taiwan as free spirited and with an “I don’t give a shit” attitude seems to be tarnishing our image. Along side the obvious pride pumpers which I have been guilty of " I AM CANADIAN" pride when the piss hits me. This is not going to be forgotten by the average Joe Blow Taiwanese anytime soon. I think the country thrives on gossip as some sort of defence mechanism. I’m just not happy with how the media covered the story. I do agree that if you are stupid enough to get caught then…well…that’s what ya get.

Remember regardless of where this bunch is from, it’s going to be hell on all foreigners eventually. The shame in the fact is not only souly to blame on the foreiners responsible for their actions but how it came to be in the first place. I mentioned that briefly in my other posts.

I typed a long response about Canadians and being a free spirit and not dealing drugs but what I really want to say here is please do not worry, Monster.

It’s going to be hell on all foreigners eventually.

Nah, with all due respect, you think too much. Perhaps all foreigners who use/deal illegal drugs will be in for it. This story will be forgotten in the next couple of days by everyone except Forumosa posters and the like. Trust me.

It’s not the first bust (there are a few inmates in Taoyuan who will attest to this) and surely won’t be the last involving foreigners. Just a good story for 24 hrs.

[quote=“jake on that site”]I typed a long response about Canadians and being a free spirit and not dealing drugs but what I really want to say here is please do not worry, Monster.

It’s going to be hell on all foreigners eventually.

Nah, with all due respect, you think too much. Perhaps all foreigners who use/deal illegal drugs will be in for it. This story will be forgotten in the next couple of days by everyone except Forumosa posters and the like. Trust me.

It’s not the first bust (there are a few inmates in Taoyuan who will attest to this) and surely won’t be the last involving foreigners. Just a good story for 24 hrs.[/quote]

Well, I must disagree. I have friends of all different origins within Taiwan and they are constantly reminded of history and bad deeds.
Kinda like this:

http://canada4life.ca/videos.php?video=3

Heh. :raspberry:

I tend to agree with Jake. There have been other foreigners who have behaved badly-- or been accused of doing so-- in the past. People forget about it after a while. I’m finding it hard to see who you’re more upset with: the druggies or the media here. I’m no fan of the tabloid press either, but this stuff would be covered by virtually any country’s press. Persoanlly I’m more upset at the dumb-ass foreigners’ behaviour.

I’d disagree here. The media here (and all over) covers all sorts of garbage. In the end people’s lives are ruined by the lack of tact used. I have been witness to and subjected to huge amounts of stereotypes and gossip rings in Taiwan. Ok, it’s natural to gossip but the media and alot of the defensive mechanisms souly rely on the media here. That’s just my opinion.