English teachers nabbed in drug-ring bust (Part 1)

Hmmm…are these people posters on Forumosa?

586 g - I believe

ChinaTimes

[color=red][b]Mod note: We must be all thinking this, but please observe the Forumosa.com rules regarding ‘outing’ posters. (i.e. if you know who these people are, do not post any connection between Poster IDs and any information in the news.)

Cheers, Truant.[/b][/color]

I don’t want to get into a capital punishment debate, I’m just saying IMO they shouldn’t be put to death for it.

Even if it was 6000kg.

Just my opinion.

Sure lots of people will say, “but the sign at the airport says blah blah blah, so they should be prepared for their punishment.” I’m only saying I don’t think it’s appropriate. They should go to jail for a really long time, if the reported numbers are correct, which are highly doubtful.

[quote=“Josefus”]I realize that there is the death penalty here, but I can’t believe that some people would even suggest that it would be appropriate to sacrifice a human life for a charge like this. :loco:

And yes, I even believe in capital punishment, but certainly not for this case.[/quote]

Well, I don’t believe in capital punishment but I can understand how some might feel it would be appropriate in this case if the media’s version of the facts was correct. After all, the following law enforcement site refers to a “seizure of three hundred kilograms of cocaine valued at $90,000,000 (ninety million dollars).”
rcmp-grc.gc.ca/wanted/kract_e.htm

Extrapolating from that, the alleged 600 kg in this case would be valued at about $180 million. But of course the media is probably wrong, so we don’t really know what the facts are.

According to this article it was 300 grams.

The reported numbers are now:300g, 586g, and 600kg

Big friggin’ difference!

Didn’t manage to catch all the big coverage on news last night (when it was just hot off the oven) but today finally got a glimpse cos the whole segment didn’t last longer than 2 minutes, MAX. They just briefly mentioned how many people were involved, quick comments from the cops about how they smuggled it in, their day jobs and some snippet of the people involved. Looks like the news have been de-prioritized.

Instead I saw a longer news segment on Ah Bian in a fruit plantation and wearing a peeled fruit as a hat! :bravo:

[quote=“Josefus”]I don’t want to get into a capital punishment debate, I’m just saying IMO they shouldn’t be put to death for it.

Even if it was 6000kg.

Just my opinion.

Sure lots of people will say, “but the sign at the airport says blah blah blah, so they should be prepared for their punishment.” I’m only saying I don’t think it’s appropriate. They should go to jail for a really long time, if the reported numbers are correct, which are highly doubtful.[/quote]
well, it’s the law of this land, so if you break it then it’s too late to debate whether capital punishment is appropriate or not.

The wise foreigner should adjust his/her drug interests accordingly or leave Tw IMHO.

does anyone know if this has made the news in canada yet…or any other of the countires of the involved?

Robert Downey Jr?[/quote]

:bravo:

Maybe Christian Brando, Todd Bridges, and Macaulay Culkin would be good in minor roles.

All this talk of a movie has got me thinking back a little. Now I think a show about Canadian drug dealers in Taiwan would be a hell of a lot more interesting than a show about Canadian English teachers. Now that would be some must see TV right there. Someone get working on the website and promotion! :wink:

This is what I get for a no-TV rule. I don’t see anything. :s

Six ounces of Gak? That’s some serious stuff. Oh Lord…

Reap what you sow is a credo that applys heavily for those who get involved with drugs, and there is not a dealer anywhere that doesn’t know it! Taking responsibility for the actions of selling drugs is another issue all together when dealers get busted, and when one does they usually are not ready to admit that they are in the wrong.

As much as some out there might hate the police for negative actions that some cops do, the police are not stupid! They know the workings of the drug game as well as the dealers, sometimes better if you are talking about petty little street hustlers like the ones just nabbed. You start messing with chemicals and you are marked! It’s not big secret here and anywhere where you can go and get shit like coke, pills and other hard drugs. It’s a massive part of the club culture gloablly, drug raids in clubs happen now and then, but a bunch of kids tweeking out on pills, coke and special K ect, really isn’t worth a drug squads time. It does not put a major dent in a suppliers business. There in lies the problem.

Painting these Canadians and other foreigners as some kind of international masterminds gives them way too much credit! These cats who got busted are nothing but glorified helper monkeys. You do not set up shop selling drugs anywhere without someone way bigger then you letting it happen. Foreigners dealing in Taiwan must have the backing of a much more powerful local with major connections. Drug dealing, at it’s core is a business. A business that if you cut into the profits of another businessman’s pockets just happens to end up with very violent consequences. These kids busted knew that, and took the risk once they got the go to sell.

They deserve the full extent of what form they get punished with! Dealing with poison and death is not a slap on the wrist anywhere! Drugs are a major blight on humanity! Drugs ruin lives daily, and the death toll is countless! The sad thing is, these kids busted are not the only foreigners and locals out there in Taiwan making money off of pushing, and making a supplier richer off of his product. And in the great spirit of capitalism their shoes will be filled quick because of the allure the fast money selling drugs brings. As long as there is that chance that the hustle you pick up can grant you some form of status, gets you extra cash quick and the image of being some form of outlaw/rebel/badass/gangster/whatever it is that makes you take a chance you know have very fine definitions of the rewards and punishments that come along with dealing, there will always be many willing to risk it.
Know matter who they are, or where they are from. It’s a supply and demand market, and all too many out there are hungry for the product. One way or another.
Peace

The broadcasts tonight downplayed the foreigners. A quickshot for less than one second, while a minute or two on the Australian and HK connection and the entertainment link. They were just small pawns in a much bigger game.

[quote=“NaTaS”]Reap what you sow is a credo that applys heavily for those who get involved with drugs, and there is not a dealer anywhere that doesn’t know it! Taking responsibility for the actions of selling drugs is another issue all together when dealers get busted, and when one does they usually are not ready to admit that they are in the wrong.

As much as some out there might hate the police for negative actions that some cops do, the police are not stupid! They know the workings of the drug game as well as the dealers, sometimes better if you are talking about petty little street hustlers like the ones just nabbed. You start messing with chemicals and you are marked! It’s not big secret here and anywhere where you can go and get shit like coke, pills and other hard drugs. It’s a massive part of the club culture gloablly, drug raids in clubs happen now and then, but a bunch of kids tweeking out on pills, coke and special K ect, really isn’t worth a drug squads time. It does not put a major dent in a suppliers business. There in lies the problem.

Painting these Canadians and other foreigners as some kind of international masterminds gives them way too much credit! These cats who got busted are nothing but glorified helper monkeys. You do not set up shop selling drugs anywhere without someone way bigger then you letting it happen. Foreigners dealing in Taiwan must have the backing of a much more powerful local with major connections. Drug dealing, at it’s core is a business. A business that if you cut into the profits of another businessman’s pockets just happens to end up with very violent consequences. These kids busted knew that, and took the risk once they got the go to sell.

They deserve the full extent of what form they get punished with! Dealing with poison and death is not a slap on the wrist anywhere! Drugs are a major blight on humanity! Drugs ruin lives daily, and the death toll is countless! The sad thing is, these kids busted are not the only foreigners and locals out there in Taiwan making money off of pushing, and making a supplier richer off of his product. And in the great spirit of capitalism their shoes will be filled quick because of the allure the fast money selling drugs brings. As long as there is that chance that the hustle you pick up can grant you some form of status, gets you extra cash quick and the image of being some form of outlaw/rebel/badass/gangster/whatever it is that makes you take a chance you know have very fine definitions of the rewards and punishments that come along with dealing, there will always be many willing to risk it.
Know matter who they are, or where they are from. It’s a supply and demand market, and all too many out there are hungry for the product. One way or another.
Peace[/quote]
:bravo: Well put. You have summed up most of my points nicely.

Right. I guess this fellow Duncan is Tao-zi’s ex-boyfriend. That’s the big story. No one really cares about a few measley foreigners, except us here on the BBS, the friends and families, and perhaps the Canadian Trade Office, a little bit. :wink:

Right. I guess this fellow Duncan is Tao-zi’s ex-boyfriend. That’s the big story. No one really cares about a few measley foreigners, except us here on the BBS, the friends and families, and perhaps the Canadian Trade Office, a little bit. :wink:[/quote]

Have you ever heard of the term “Thin Ice”? Do you enjoy watching people get riled up? Are ya sick/twisted? I am.

I might be mistaken, but I think Chozie (the guy with the soul patch in the video) is Tao-zis ex. He is the Australian DJ who spun at Room 18 a lot in the past.

Duncan is the HK actor/artist/yi ren.

Business wasn’t that good I suppose, and to get 600 kg of drugs in books into the country … not just by mail … :s

I’m not sure if these well-connected and well-to-do (a.k.a. rich) people need the help, but how much assistance will the foreign “embassies” be expected to provide?

If you’re Australian, don’t expect your government to bail you out if you’re busted.

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapcf/08/26/australians.abroad.ap/index.html