English teaching jobs BLOWING UP

that does sound like fuckery. At least they pay the flight…Just horse shit they took the bonus and made you pay for quarantine. This strategy won’t get them many people in the door, especially qualified people.

1 Like

So they are letting people into the country or you already had aprc?

The MOE sucks. Public schools can be great schools to work at, but the MOE is full of people that hate themselves. They don’t care if they hire foreign teachers or not. They need some 500 or something and there’s less than 100 this year. They even started an “ETA” program for easy confusion with the Fulbright ETA program, only to learn AFTER the MOE ETAs had been here working for a few months that they were ineligible for work permits, as they didn’t have teaching licenses. How can the government bring “teachers” in on a special program that hires people with just a BA, only to learn after hiring them and having them work in the schools that they can’t? Well, that’s a great question for the MOE…

1 Like

Well they could solve the problem by importing fully qualified teachers from the Philippines but for their own ***** reasons they don’t.

2 Likes

You can speak to your school and ask them not to change your tax to 18%.

:joy:

They let in some certified public school teachers with special entry permits.

Also my entire bonus wasn’t taken, they took some in proportion to the length remaining on the contract. Same with days off

Maybe I’ll try to ask again after I’ve been here the full 183 days. This way I have a stronger case. I tried once and was shot down, but part of that might be the recruiting agency who said that before a teacher left without paying taxes and the tax office went after the school.

The problem I mean is that obviously the terms they offer will never get the large number of qualified teachers from western countries to teach in Taiwan that they are aiming for.

1 Like

The FET pay hasn’t changed in 20+ years. For people who have been here doing FET since the beginning, especially if they got the local governments to pay for their grad school, they’re making bank. For everyone else, it’s really not great pay. It is, however, not a lot of work. A maximum of 20 forty minute classes/week is easy money. It’s far more stable than a cram school and the schools aren’t profit-focused like the overwhelming majority of private and “international” schools in Taiwan. But some things do depend on the school, not the MOE…

Actually it’s 50 minute classes. But yeah it’s not too bad. The local staff also treat me like I’m a qualified professional which is more than I can say for us schools or cram school.

3 Likes

You in a high school? Elementary is 40, Junior High is 45, Senior High is 50. You should have less classes/week the longer your class times are (elementary might be 24 classes/week while jr. High is 20)

1 Like

do you work from 8am to 4pm? how many office hours? how many teaching hours?

Ah ok yeah I’m in high school. But my school hasn’t given me the full class load. Maybe next semester it’ll be more classes though. The school is actually very fair

Edit: I work 9-5 actually

how many office hours? how many teaching hours?

Right now it’s only 4 class hours with some co-teaching as needed. I also help with grading and with student projects stuff like that during office hours which are the remaining time. Next year I’m sure I will get more classes. It’s just that I couldn’t come to teach until the beginning of the month and the semester is already nearly over.

so 20hours teaching a week currently? I think that is essentially a full work load to be honest. IF they make you teach over 20h a week at a public school that would be a bit overkill. Unless they don’t care about quality.

btw, I got called back from my boss on Christmas Day hurray saying I am completely unhinged demanding 1,000 nt an hour because Taiwanese make way less and that I should be happy because everybody has to work so hard for a fraction of what I make. She said you don’t need that much money in Taiwan. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

she then went on to say I am breaking contract, but I pointed out they have been illegally deducting salary and doing illegal things that make the contract void anyway, told her I’d wipe my ass with the contract.

safe to say, we aren’t on good terms, and I already got new job offers lined up.

3 Likes

I hate that argument. Someone else makes less, so you should take what we give you. I had a boss years ago saying a 7 11 worker earns 100 odd an hour so I should be happy with 600. What was worse was that he was supported by some cunt white knight saying the same. I found out later that same idiot was a shareholder in the school and was making a lot more than the other teachers while convincing all the newbies to eat shit.

4 Likes

No it’s 4 hours a week not a day. But next year I’ll pick up more

You should tell her that if taiwanese labor is so cheap, there’s plenty of local teachers she can hire instead

2 Likes