English teaching jobs BLOWING UP

I don’t disagree with this general assessment.

Lots of government agencies have improved by leaps and bounds during the time I’ve lived in Taiwan. The MOE sadly is not one of them.

Guy

2 Likes

They are racists?

You know, Occam’s razor and all that.

Guy

Well draw your own conclusions , I have.

1 Like

I think its some kind of cultural thing the bosses try pull here, try to guilt trip you. don’t break don’t move, hold the line.

How do you know that the students understand what a herd is?

He polled them. Dong bu dong? Dong? Hao? Moving on.

2 Likes

A socially awkward teacher is like a tone deaf musician, or a machinist who is bad with their hands. It has been explained to @Taiwan_Luthiers that teaching is a social job.

some things seem to depend on who you ask, if you don’t like one answer just try someone else!

I’m a Jacksonian for most things in life, but a High Federalist snob in terms of education. :laughing: In other words, personality is for clowns throwing sticky balls. Give me certified teachers from good schools vs. personalities. If they have both, great but the former trumps the latter.

2 Likes

JOHNY doesn’t want that, JOHNY WANTS PLAY GAME…JOHNY THROW SHIT ON WALL. JOHNY ANGRY. TEACHER BAD. TEACHER FIRED.

2 Likes

Have you, or any other teachers on here, ever been fired?

I’m genuinely curious. Has anyone here ever been dismissed from a teaching job? I’ve never heard of it happening.

I think there is some grey space between “socially awkward” and “outgoing clown”, but a lot of teacher certification programs are terrible (and, these days, are more about social justice indoctrination than anything). People can spend two years in an education program but not learn much about classroom teaching, it is in the classroom that we learn to be teachers.

Give me teachers who care, and you can keep the clowns and useless certificates.

2 Likes

Hours get cut.

Meh. If they learn what you teach, that’s your leverage.

They could only care about social justice indoctrination, and sadly this generally seems to be the case, but otherwise I agree.

1 Like

Touche. Give me teachers who care about their students (even the straight white male sons of colonizing boomers)…

2 Likes

yes I know people who been indirectly fired, they just reduce your hours until there is no point going there anymore. They can’t legally fire you after probation period, without giving you compensation. They just drive you insane until you have to quit.

1 Like

Did you think they should be fired? If they’re inept or incompetent, shouldn’t they be?

1 Like

I know 5 people who been “fired” and only one of them was probably worthy of a firing. The rest of them told the boss to try to fix up some curriculum stuff to help the students. They were pretty much fired after that.

I hate playing games. So stupid. The same school that complained a single student didn’t understand the meaning of what a herd is is the same school that wants more games in class.

By personality I’m talking about getting into the characters we are reading about. The expressions they are using in the dialogue of the story. The drama of their lines. The character is excited. The character is sad, is crying, is angry, etc…

I’ve been fired because I was hired as an English teacher, then assigned to teach PE, when I complained, was fired the second week because “we need a PE teacher”. Now the school has 2nd grade teacher also covering my former 1st grade class. Surely the parents will get their money’s worth with a single English teacher teaching 70 students and grading those student’s papers. Elite private school.

2 Likes

What other job do employees do this? :ponder: