🇪🇺 Europe | Choosing last country on European trip

I’m going to do a whole thread on Sweden.

The breakfast between Finland and Sweden are almost identical.

I’m addition, swedes eat caviar out of a tube.

As for Estonia, that was last year. I asked for their national dish, Verivorst, which I think is made of pigs blood, but they said they only bust it out during Christmas.

That thin layer is the liqueur, buddy. :blush:

1 Like

This is my Estonia/Finland/Lithuania breakfasts. What items where in your breakfast in Sweden and how much comparison? I will try visit visit Sweden in the fall on a follow up trip to Estonia.

My most common, coffee (this a long black, I found a lot of people worked in Aussie/NZ and brought the drink culture with them) and local bread with butter or cream cheese(local) and Porridge. 100NT$ on average, quite cheap to what I pay in Taiwan. I found coffee drinks very cheap and had a lot when I had a chance.

Trendy item for brunch is Shakshouka I saw on few menus, which I also had in Taiwan. In photo for brunch with red fruit smotthie. Shakshouka was about 200NT$ drink about same price
https://tw.forumosa.com/t/shakshouka-at-wows-cafe-2

Standard breakfast buffet, some items I liked was dark breads , fish (Salmon and herring) and not local brie cheese which I like and also apricot preserves with light milk cheese like item

3 Likes

Caviar, but not really caviar. At least not in the common English interpretation of the term. Anyway common in Sweden, Norway and partly Finland.

The blocks of cheese and the dark bread look familiar. In Sweden and Finland they also eat a cracker that’s shaped like a graham cracker that’s not sweet that you can slab some jelly or butter on.

They told me it was fish eggs. Which is what caviar is.

And you’re supposed to eat it with boiled eggs.

Fish eggs coupled with chicken eggs, clever.

I have a picture.

Sorry, I’m messy.

Some people say “caviar” when referring to wild sturgeon only, others will use the term for other fish roe too.

I guess it was not wild sturgeon in that toothpaste tube. :slight_smile:

Traditionally, the term caviar refers only to roe from wild sturgeon in the Caspian Sea and Black Sea (Beluga, Ossetra and Sevruga caviars). The term caviar can also describe the roe of other species of sturgeon or other fish such as salmon, steelhead, trout, lumpfish, whitefish, or carp.

2 Likes

haha, since I like long black, I thought it was that ! Also with that small shot would seem ok.

2 Likes

The shakshouka looks good and 200 is very cheap, but drink is also 200? For real? What is it? It’s not a cocktail, is it?

1 Like

Some Salmon eggs in Estonia

Fake ones in Villinus, thus the low price. It was strange to me, all the same size balls. I would pay more the 50g ones the right for 5.99

Tinned fish and seafood, for me great. Like Spanish tapas version

Last this is interesting in Lithuania立陶宛共和, I was in this market on Sunday and at that time could not buy it

2 Likes

The drink is about 6 euro, all fruit smoothie (no alc) with I guess berries and mango. Berries are cheap there but not some tropical fruits. The salaries (but EU standards) is not high though maybe not much different from Taiwan, but living costs are lower thus food costs are less and housing cheaper. The city is very clean and good living standard, and lots of returning residents as wages are 2X more than 10 years ago. The big downside to people I talked with is the cold and dark winter. Estonia may have more in common in language and culture with Finland than the other Baltic nations, which surprised me. I kinda like Lithuania more as a visitor but Estonia is also nice, modern and safe. Lots of good food, with recommendations from our local business contacts. (They tried to get me try Asian food there which happens a lot but I wanted try something different or local). Also the Shakshouka was chili hot, a bit of surprise in the Nordics/Baltics. BTW, beer and wine is cheap. Local beer and EU wine.

1 Like

Estonia’s average salary is like 1100 euro so it’s not very rich.

That’s expensive.

True not rich, but far from low income. Per wiki 2,000+ Euro month now (the people we work make more as if not they go to Finland),

That’s PPP adjusted and it’s gross income.

Anyway that’s not the point. The shakshouka looks good and 200 is cheap. The smoothie is quite expensive.

I’m Taiwanese; you think I’m gonna use the more limited definition over the 差不多 definition?

Estonia is nicer than Taiwan by a mile.

You must like it to eat four tubes of it on holiday. Is that fruit sauce also or something else?

2 Likes

yes, compared to a drink shop in Taiwan a Mango drink is much cheaper say at Macu
which I do not go as much as would like, as the Macu near our KHH office has a 50 right next to it as my co worker(s) she will always choose the cheaper option which is 50. Anyways supermarkets in region have smoothies also 4-5 euro but lots of choices and popular

2 Likes

My Taiwan classmate, she went to Santorini a loved it. I hope visit too! And cheapo Ryan Air flies there too.

2 Likes