🇨🇿 🇭🇺 Europe | Prague Vs Budapest Short Vacation?

I try to travel to some place new as much as I can and narrowed it down to Prague or Budapest.

Any insight on which one i should pick? I have enough points for 4 nights at the hotel so I think that should be a decent time to spend in either cities. I’ll eventually do both but I will have to pick one next month.

I have been to both, but in summer Prague is totally choked with tourists, Budapest gets its share too but not on the scale of Prague. Also if you do go to Prague, beware of the Taxi drivers, especially from the Airport (unless things have changed) as they wont use meters and charge a kings ransom for the trip into town.

1 Like

I’ve been to both a couple of times too (albeit more than a decade ago) and remember them both being pretty nice. You could probably just toss a coin and it’ll be fine either way. I suppose Prague is more touristy, fairytale-y, and compact.

1 Like

If you drink beer, try Prague Beer Museum which is a pub, with lots of beer and cider on tap and local pub foods. Its in old town, nice as far as Euro old towns (I still like the less tourist Baltic ones though) go.

A real Museum in old town and off beat is the Sex Machines Museum )not for everyone haha). Also just the old historic sights all within old town.

I will also stop a night as to back to the Baltics (biz) and now Prague is a transfer point between the two, next month.

Yes, similar in history etc, Prague has the Charles Bridge etc, Budapest has the Castle on the hill. Oh and I forgot one thing, Prague seems popular with Stag parties for the British too.

I think Budapest may also have that “feature”, since the budget airlines started flying there in the noughties. I’d assume Prague still gets more though. Lucky them…

1 Like

Budapest is very nice, but I think Prague plays in another league. Malá Strana alone well worths the visit. Beer is also better in Prague.

But I was in January during a cold snap. I am sure my memories wouldn’t be as fond with a sea of tourists on them.

That’s a very good point. No idea how I forgot that.

1 Like

I don’t care about the beer. Mostly just to relax, eat well, enjoy some interesting historical sites.

I think maybe Budapest for me then; I wouldn’t want to fight the tourist crowds.

Neither—Cesky Krumlov in Czech Rep. Absolutely charming and only a few hours by train

cesky krumlov - Google Search

ÄŚeskĂ˝ Krumlov - Wikipedia

Great antiques, architecture, coffee houses, pubs and relatively cheap. Perfect place to chillax and walk through the old town.

1 Like

Budapest, then. You can ride the old M1 Metro line to the geothermal spas, which feels like it has never been modernised. Liberty Bridge (all the bridges in fact) in Budapest are spectacular, you can visit the ruin bars, see the catacomb/dungeons on top of Gellert Hill, bathe in the Gellert indoor spa, visit the pinball museum, go to the Budapest Jazz club, visit Margaret Island (Margit Sziget) and say hello to Suzy the pony for me.

If you are so inclined, there is also an abandoned train depot that you can break into and wander around illegally at your own risk. https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/istvantelek-train-yard

If you are swimming, (not bathing) then swimming caps are required. Flip flops are required (for safety, believe it or not) in the bathing areas.

I’ve been there three times, the last time I was there for a whole month. Prague, I did in 2 days, it was nice and I would go back, but felt like I did it in a weekend.

Just don’t clink your glasses with anyone when you drink, it’s an insult.

Budapest does and will have tourists, but it’s a substantially bigger city than Prague (at least the centre is) so it feels less crowded.

I’ll save you some time, don’t bother with the “People’s park” in Budapest, Nepliget, it’s just a bit bleak.

Oh, and “Ferfi” is Men’s, regarding mens changing rooms and toilets. Learnt that the hard way.

1 Like

A bit more to it than that :smiley:

Prague has probably been the capital of the most countries of anywhere on Earth. Budapest has been a major establishment for several different empires throughout the years.

Second that, we did it in a day trip from České Budějovice.

Prague is the closest thing in Europe to heaven. Pro tip: do a day trip pilgrimage to Pilsen.

To hail the God of Brewed Beverages? :laughing:

1 Like

Go to Bratislava, a mini-version of Prague.
Been to both cities (but not Budapest).

I’m traveling to Budapest for business but I will have a few days to explore. Anyone familiar with Budapest and could recommend must do things and maybe things to avoid? Restaurants and food recommendations are always welcome :hugs:

When I was there in 2008 I saw the fanciest McDonalds I am ever likely to see - near the entrance to Nyugati Railway Station. Google Street view suggests that its still there.

Take a hike across the Danube and up to the Castle, you get that classic view of the Parliament Building from there.

• Gellert Spa and the Liberty Bridge
  • Margit Sziget (Margaret Island)
  • Buda Palace and the bit near the funicular which I forget the name of
  • Ruin bars near Astoria if a night out is your thing. Also fairly massive nightclub not far away.
  • The Hungarian Parliament building
  • Walking from Octagon to Heroes Square
  • Raday ut street is pretty good for restaurants if you want to eat al fresco, and indoors too of course… Kalvin Ter metro station is right at the end of it. From there it’s a short walk to the Danube to see the green bridge.

Avoid:

• Nepliget (People’s Park) - the actual park itself, the arena and stadium that are close by are fine. You’ll go through it on the bus from the airport. It’s fine, just built in the communist area and a bit rundown now. Contains a really dilapidated planetarium there, but not much to see.
  • Clinking your glasses of drink together, it’s offensive.
  • Travelling everywhere using the metro.
  • Giving up and eating at chain/american restaurants
1 Like

It is (or was last year anyway) but it’s a bit overrated in my opinion. There’s better places to see that kind of architecture.