Euros cannot prove secret interrogation facilities: too bad

Again, you took my statement out of context. I disagreed with you that the U.S. is a
“a democracy that regularly consults its allies.” were emphasis is on consults their allies. It should be more like “a democracy that sometimes informs their allies”. Maybe say ask for opinions, but then still goes ahead with what they want to do. This is certainly not a democratic behaviour, especially if it has been decided by the world community not to.

[quote=“fred smith”]
the UN? Give me a break. Most of the nations in the UN are not democracies themselves. So who exactly is the world community?[/quote]

Wow, stop right there. I don’t know the membership requirements for the UN, but I am pretty certain that it does not require a country to be a democracy. So what countries shall be banned next from the UN in your opinion? Islamic countries? All European countries that have a different opinion than the US? Why not remove the democratic rights of gays, lesbians, hell, all non US-citizen? Who gets to decide who can cast a vote in the UN? A democracy should be able to deal with all people of different political orientation, race, sexual preference etc. And if the UN membership does not require a nation to be a democracy, then why shouldn’t they be allowed to cast their vote.

If you want to buy banana’s from the Kongo, go ahead, its up to you. But if it is a matter of global stability then it concerns everybody.

First, I am sure the decision to grand Russia, China, Great Britain, France and the U.S.A. a veto right (notice, not Germany) was again a democratic decision and yes, even the U.S.A. agreed to this decision when the security council was established. And these veto rights were given to them for a reason. Maybe it was in an attempt to avoid unnecessary wars.

Second, here a little statistic I found on who used how often their veto in the security council.

Soviet Union 118 / Russia 2
United States 76
Britain 32
France 18
China 5

Where 7 of the last 9 vetoes at the Security Council have been by the United States, and 6 of these have been of draft resolutions criticising the Israeli Government in some way. In total, the US has blocked 35 draft resolutions on Israel.

As you see, France has used their veto only 18 times which is a little more than the last on this list, China. And the bad mafia Russians, only twice since the collaps of the UDSSR. Which leaves the U.S.A. on the top of the list of using their veto power since 1991. And interestingly, it was used to protect the one country, that the whole trouble in the Middle East is all about. But that is not really topic of the thread and I cannot offer a solution either.

But please, don’t complain about France overcontrolling U.S. foreign policy with their veto rights. On a more personal note, I would agree with you, that the right to veto a decision should be removed for all countries. It would contribute to more democracy.

Third, typically, when Germany deploys it’s troups into a foreign country, the parliament won’t agree to it, unless there is a strong U.N. mandat. I don’t know the situation in other democracies.

That is the most ignorant thing you have said to date and that is a triumph believe you me. What exactly do you think a president is if not a leader? [/quote]

Okay, this is another research I did on this topic. Maybe your Greek is a little rusty, so here the definition of democracy.

[quote=“wikipedia”]
Democracy (from Greek δημοκρατία (demokratia), δημος (demos) the common people + κρατειν (kratein) to rule + the suffix ία (ia), literally “the common people rule”) [/quote]

And yes, Germany has a president, but his position is purely ceremonial. Most modern democracy have a large parliament. Hell even Great Britian has one, and they still have a queen as well. If the majority of the parliament does not agree to a governmental action, the president, chancelor, prime minister cannot do anything. So the power lies within the people, who elected each member of the parliament.

On U.N. level, the nations on this planet are more or less the people that should rule it. If there is not a democratic order within a nation, this is an internal affair, and if enough people want democracy, they will change it. But this needs to come from within and not from the outside. And this has been done before many many times.

But this does not really apply for the U.S. system. And it really concerns me, that important decisions, such as launching nuclear missles, lies soley withing the hands of the U.S. president, and congress does not have anything to say in this rather serious matter. And it seems that the U.S. president has more similar powers/ways to ignore congress. Especially Bush really seems to like doing this. Does not really sound democratic to me. But afterall, I still think there is still democracy left in the U.S.A., might need some fine tuning, and most important the capitalistic blanket that it is covered by should be removed.

[quote=“fred smith”]

So what? [/quote]

Another undemocratic statement of yours.

I think that I am having trouble understanding your English again, care to explain.[/quote]

I did not really expect you to understand this, but that is not the fault of my poor english.

[quote=“fred smith”]
In summary, I am not sure why I am responding to your posts. They are mostly rag tag theories trotted out to no great effect. [/quote]

Oh, another offense, now you are calling my opinions “rag tag theories”. Whatever that means. But your score is 4:0

Actually, I forgot about one. FYI, the word Euro has multiple uses.

[quote=“wikipedia”]
Euro is a common prefix denoting things of or connected with Europe or the European Union. Specific Europe-related meanings of Euro include:

* Euro (

Euro is offensive? And Fred is racist for saying this? Do you really believe this? Why do you keep playing the victim card on such silliness?

Euro is offensive? And Fred is racist for saying this? Do you really believe this? Why do you keep playing the victim card on such silliness?[/quote]

I feel offended by this, especially in the arrogant tone that the topic of this thread is phrased. Europe has come a long way since WWII. If you just look how it has changed from fighting against each other to the unification process that it is in right now. I think it’s people have deserved more respect than that. Especially the arrogant way the phrase “Euros” is used by certain members in this forum is offending. It falls in the same catagory as “towelheads” for people from arabic origin. I am sure no arab would liked to be called this way either. And isn’t “towelhead” a racist comment?

The arrogant topic does also not add anything to the discussion either. Something like “Why did the EU fail to prove secret CIA interrogations?” would have been a much more PC and neutral way of naming this thread and would have not been offensive at all.

And I am not playing this as a card in the dicussion either. This was just a side comment, in an effort to keep this on a certain level. And if anybody is offended by anything that I would post here, they can talk to me, and I am happy to apologize for it.

[quote=“purple people eaters”]
Euro is offensive? And Fred is racist for saying this? Do you really believe this? Why do you keep playing the victim card on such silliness?[/quote]

I might not define racist as negative as you might think of. I don’t think that Fred Smith would ever heard anybody because of their race or such. So let’s just look how wikipedia defines racism.

This is just a snapshot of the article. But the phrase “Euros” does that and racism is the appropriate word. There is probably more too it, and in some sense the phrase “Euros” has a negative and disrespectful notion to it.

Yawn…

I will let my statements stand as they are and I am pleased to have your statements on record. I feel that is sufficient to have made my point and no doubt you feel that you have made yours admirably which ironically is what has helped maked my point. Now have a nice day… and if you count the yawn as being an indication that I find your posts boring, juvenile, ill thought out and tedious you can raise my score to a perfect 10. On that score, I am only too willing to assist.

Now, apologies but I will be off the air for a while so to speak. Travel and all that.

It asked Taiwan to help it out. Shame it’s not even recognised by the US as a nation.

OK, carry on.

Did the US ask Taiwan to join the US in war?

That was the question.

Wait while I find the link.

In the meantime:

http://english.people.com.cn/200303/18/eng20030318_113455.shtml

To comment that the US has not asked any nation to join it’s crusade against predominantly oil-filled muslim nations is quite rediculous.

My opinion is that no country is going to admit that they were asked to send troops (how much money or business is granted underneath ??? oh ok I have no proof).

No European country is going to admit either that they knew about the CIA flights and torture. Rather embarrassing and disguting from both sides (american and the european countries involved that did know : and should France be included in the list, I would still find it disgusting).

Oh how I hate lies…

Ratlung, I m not yawning.

If this is how it is to be cooperative…

(Brussels, 5 April 2006) In a new report published today, "USA - Below the radar: Secret flights to torture and

[quote=“fred smith”]Yawn…

I will let my statements stand as they are and I am pleased to have your statements on record. I feel that is sufficient to have made my point and no doubt you feel that you have made yours admirably which ironically is what has helped maked my point. Now have a nice day… and if you count the yawn as being an indication that I find your posts boring, juvenile, ill thought out and tedious you can raise my score to a perfect 10. On that score, I am only too willing to assist.

Now, apologies but I will be off the air for a while so to speak. Travel and all that.[/quote]

Great, now you have help me make my point, that discussion with Fred Smith on a level without degradation into insults is impossible. Thank you so much.

10:0

Back to the topic. Great link SHARLEE. Just too sad to know that this is another case where freedom lost against power. I am sure that there was some looking away on the European side as well. Those things just don’t happen. But it is comforting to know, that these unlawful acts will eventually come into the radar of public interest.

One of my favorite quotes:

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.
    Thomas Jefferson
    3rd president of the United States of America (1743 - 1826)

Couldn t access the link I posted so here I give you the full report link hoping it works

web.amnesty.org/library/Index/EN … of=ENG-313

[quote]Because of the secrecy surrounding the practice of rendition, and because many of the victims have “disappeared”, it is difficult to estimate the scope of the programme. In many countries, families are reluctant to report their relatives as missing, for fear that intelligence officials will turn their attention on them. Amnesty International has spoken to several people who have given credible accounts of rendition, but are unwilling to make their names or the circumstances of their arrests and transfers known. Some cases come to light when the victim is released or given access to a lawyer, although neither event is a common occurrence in the life of a rendition victim. The number of cases currently appears to be in the hundreds: Egypt

There are many names given in the first link I gave. Will try to give you the link again when I have more time to write.

It seems I have hit a sensitive spot… I have no problem talking about France bad behaviour or whatever country bad behaviour as for me I see no difference between a french bad behaviour or an american one or a chinese one.

This is the difference between you and me cher Mr Fred Smith.

As i said It is really disgusting and if this kind of behaviour must be openly unveiled and criticized (especially when it comes from countries going to war to defend Freedom, it must be double criticized)

You could do that, but you’d be incorrect. :slight_smile:

I will wait.

Unlikely…

How surprising then that we are discussing only one country as usual and that is the US. So prove me wrong and post what you know about France’s failings. I will give you a day or two and then perhaps I will step in myself. haha

But you have given no indication that you are or have been willing to discuss anything of the sort. I would love to be proved wrong so fire away. Do my work for me.

Why must it be criticized? It seems to me that there have been a number of allegations made. When they are proved, then let’s look at them. Until then… it just sounds like more anti-American bashing to me. Prove me wrong.

Sorry for having to repeat myself, this was posted somewhere above. You wanted names, here are some.

How disappointing of yourself Cher Monsieur Fred Smith. You usually ask for facts. The report in the link is very detailed (flight number, number of flights, airports used).

Before you say this is all about anti americanism from European side, plse take a look of who wrote this report. Amnesty international. This association is well known for reporting any wrong doings, abuses, tortures taking place in any part of the world.

Now go ahead with France , there are certainly many of the same cases in Africa etc but you see I strongly disapprove of this just as I disapprove of the CIA Flights and renditions because they are above any international laws and against freedom.
I sadly admit the same kind of wrong doing by french policy or European exists and am as happy when this comes under scrutiny of Amnestity International.

I understand your move : attack is the best defense. But this topic ,you started, is about Euros and the CIA flights within Europe. So excuse me, if I feel concerned about this and if you wrongly think, this is anti americanism when it is just about rights and freedom and keeping our values whatever the situation we have to face.

Here are the names again

In a new report published today, "USA - Below the radar: Secret flights to torture and

I find this quote of yours rather troublesome. I cannot figure out how you can read through this and only find “proof” of how other countries are having double standards. Sounds to me that those detainees and their families are too damn scared to say anything. It remains unclear though, who they are affraid of, the CIA or of their own countries’ agency, who knows? Basic human rights of those detainees’ were taken away from them, the same rights that Bush just recently requested from China to grant its citizens. How can it become more obvious.

[quote=“fred smith”]
Well, we do not see a lot of proof here do we? Not one name? Also, the US is trying to release hundreds of prisoners from Guantanamo but cannot because of the risk of torture in their home countries so we are damned if we do and damned if we don’t. [/quote]

Interesting how you want to use the detention camp in Guantanamo in an attempt to show that countries who don’t support U.S. foreign policies have a double standard. HA! I am sure I don’t have to tell you how Guantanamo is a lawless region. How serveral human rights organizations have tried to establish at least the rights of POW for those guys. Wasn’t there even a court in California involved? All rejected by the U.S. government. If you like, and can probably get some references for you.

I am not sure what my nationality has to do with the whole discussion. Maybe I am Canadian, what if. Even if I were a U.S. citizen; I have been asked on several occations why I don’t become one. I would voice my opinion and disgust about the situation of random renditions with the same strength. Hell, I even know U.S. citizen who largely oppose this practise. In addition, I would probably just be ashamed of my country, if my government would engage in such disrespectful actions to any human right that was fought over in the past centuries.

As for the detainees in Guantanamo, and what should happen with them. Where to send them, you ask.

1st. I am sure not all of them would be faced with torture in their home countries. But if, what would be better, torture in Guantanamo, or at home. What would you choose Fred Smith?

Here is a report about a visit to Gitmo: dw-world.de/dw/article/0,214 … 20,00.html
Does not sound very pleasant, although it is on Paradise Island. And they seem to have something to hide, otherwise there would not be this strict censorship.
Another one
dw-world.de/dw/article/0,214 … 39,00.html
Unfortunately, this one you would have to run through a translator. But even you will be able to see that Gitmo is named in the same sentense with Abu Ghraib. And the word “Folter” does mean torture.

Oh, and here is what Bush’s best buddy in Europe, Tony Blair has to say about Gitmo.

dw-world.de/dw/article/0,214 … 18,00.html
Sound like he phrased it diplomaticly afterall, to satisfy his voters and his buddy in Washington.

2nd. As for asylum for those guys. Hmm, since it is a U.S. made problem, I think it would be just fair that the U.S. would start giving them asylum. Maybe that would be even benefical for the detainees. They can see that there are nice people in the U.S.A. afterall, that live there is convenient, maybe they even like it. I am sure other countries would follow the good example. If this person is more or less innocent, does not oppose a threat, and is most likely going to be tortured at home, I don’t think any country would refuse such a request.

3rd. Having that said, how many people have actually been aloud to apply for asylum? Do they have the right to do so? Do you actually have any numbers of applications and refusals? Would be interesting to see the statistic. From what I see, even for U.S. allies it is hard to get their own citizens back out of Gitmo

Here is one of them, a prisoner at Guantanamo. His government is trying to get him out. He is been detained there now for more than 4 years, without any reason given to him.
dw-world.de/dw/article/0,214 … 03,00.html

And here is the name and face of another detainee. German citizen abducted in Macedonia, imprisoned in Afghanistan.
dw-world.de/dw/article/0,214 … 14,00.html

[quote=“fred smith”]
Now, back to your double standards… Shall we talk about what France does with those suspected of terrorism? Wanna see if the infamous Patriot Act is the most stringent of legal codes? Wanna play my game? I’ll bet you don’t. Bit inconvenient to know that your own country is farther to the unacceptable pale than the US eh? haha As to Canada… quoi de neuf?[/quote]

Hmm, what can be more stringent as the Patriot Act? Yes, my country has also issued freedom limiting laws as a consequence of U.S. spread global paranoia. And yes, I do oppose those laws as well. And I do everything I can with my limited resources to voice my protest. But at least, my government is not going around, invading countries at free will, kidnapping (what is the verb for rendition? “rendering”) other countries citizens in foreign countries, and transporting them all over the place against there will. And then they are claiming that they are doing all this for freedom, and democracy. Yes, the evidence available to us is at the moment mostly circumstancial, but it does give rise to many question suspisions and most important, worries.

Now please go ahead and take all my sources appart. I am sure you will find something.

In case you think the report is either the fruits of imagination of European anti american news agency
Here is what Amnesty International represents worldwide, can you read the word Independant ?
Now I hope you won t use the anti american propaganda excuse. Too easy…

Amnesty International (AI) is a worldwide movement of people who campaign for internationally recognized human rights.

AI