Eva Air flight attendants on strike: June 20, 2019 at 4 pm!

I nearly booked tickets for EVA or Singapore for a coming flight but the wife, in her frugality, decided that a US carrier would be better because it’s less expensive. Sure, the flight attendants are going to be mean, the meals screwed up and the wifi not working but the flights will take off within two or three hours of the schedule.

That’s what EVA are doing, but only around 1400 of their cabin crew are non union. The other 4000 are unionised. So, they’re only managing to get around 40% of flights off the ground.

I kinda dodged the bullet on this one.

Flew back out of Suvarnabhumi into Taiwan on EVA yesterday. Very odd crowd at the gate since most seemed to be foreigners with just a smattering of Taiwanese (I had no idea about the strike). Flight was scheduled to depart BKK at 4:20pm Taiwan time. Boarding started at 3:40pm Taiwan time. I was in Zone 2 so boarded at roughly 3:45pm.

The usual file of passengers boarding thinned abruptly. I asked an EVA attendant if the flight was full, she smiled and said, “No.” Fantastic, I thought. Hopefully the seat next to mine won’t be filled.

By now there no other passengers boarding, none at all. There were a total of 5 of us in Premium economy. Biz and first class similarly thin (curtains were open). My grin evaporated and I thought, shit there is no way they’re going to take off when the plane is only maybe half full. The odds are very good that a problem will be “found,” the plane will return to the gate, disembarkation, later flight. Shit shit shit.

But they did. Uneventful flight. Cloud tops were beautiful, sunset was gorgeous. Meals were served at EVA’s usual high standard. The stewardesses were super attentive, handed out extra drinks, and were as professional as ever.

We landed at TPE at 8pm sharp, but there was no gate, so busses back to Arrivals. This is a Sunday evening thing ime, not a Thursday evening thing. But it’s ok, I thought. Not so many passengers so clearing customs will be a breeze.

But it was bedlam. Lines were far, far heavier at customs than normal. Worse, I had checked a bag. My bag was finally found at 9:37pm (with many people still waiting at the carousel); somebody had removed it from the carousel and set it aside (I was lucky to spot it during a walk around). Bags were only being loaded on the carousel sporadically, the usual constant stream of bags never happened (3 other flights, including a second EVA flight, were using the carousel).

I counted myself lucky to get home by 11:30pm given the conditions at TPE. Now that I learn there was an EVA strike just as my flight was boarding in BKK, I think I actually dodged a huge bullet yesterday.

2 Likes

On the other hand, you could have been stuck in Bangkok and not have to fly back here :slight_smile:

I was thinking the very same thing at 10am yesterday, looking out from my room on the 26th floor on morning in Bangkok and thinking I really should have booked another couple days here. Or even another couple weeks. Great city.

2 Likes

On that note:

Well I’m stuffed - my flight back from the UK to Bangkok has just been cancelled.

I’m supposed to be going on a trip with some friends who only get one weekend free a year (brutal!) - and of course it’s next weekend.

On hold to EVA now, but I don’t hold out much hope :frowning:

That sucks, I’m sorry. By next weekend, you mean over a week away? They’re already anticipating the flight will be cancelled and the strike won’t be resolved by then?

If the weekend is only once a year - id suggest booking another ticket and refunding through EVA. I recall seeing a free refund page yesterday in the app - worst case scenario it’s 3000 nt to cancel and refund.

Yeah, this sounds like it’s only going to get worse. I’m considering cancelling my EVA flight and sourcing a different carrier.

They are trying to switch me to a Thai Airways flight - unfortunately they only have economy seats on that :frowning:

This just adds ridiculousness to my UK trip - I was supposed to fly back on Wednesday but my house was burgled last week and I’ve only just been able to get everything replaced (so can leave again).

highly unlikely to be resolved before end of month.
EVA Air lawyers filed lawsuit against union in Taipei, asking for like NT$30mn in damages per day.

Both sides are digging in. The fact is EVA can’t agree to giving benefits to union members that non-unionised cabin crew don’t get.

You’re July 7, right? You really think it’ll last that long? I can’t imagine EVA wants to lose that much money. But maybe that’s just wishful thinking on my part, as I have a flight just a day after you. :neutral_face:

I’m getting nervous. See how things go next week, I guess.

I have a ferry booked to Caen two days after I land for a week in France, so timings are tight.

1 Like

且從即日起至6月29日前暫不接受新的訂位

EVA today announced it will Not take any new flight bookings before June 29.

1 Like

Wow.

There’s a rumor that those who do not strike are getting NT20K bonus pay.

3 Likes

Good. Break the unions’ back. It seems they’re coming from a place of unreasonable greed on this one (per usual with unions), especially since they want special pay conditions that won’t apply to non-unionized workers. Meanwhile, thousands of people who have spent a lot of money are having their vacation plans… or potentially more important plans that are work or family related… ruined.

3 Likes

Uh, how long have you been in Taiwan DrewC? I’ve heard quite a bit about “unreasonable greed” since moving here, and let’s just say it doesn’t come up very often when talking about private sector salaried workers.

Guy

4 Likes

the demand that only union workers can benefit from the pay raises is unreasonable greed. labor agreements apply to all labor, not just those who joined the union. eva needs to stick with their guns on this stipulation. the other demands (better work conditions) are probably fair.

3 Likes