EVA Air's new slogan

OK, after much umming and ahhing, EVA Air has come with a new slogan to replace its old one – “Wings of Taiwan”. This is the new slogan, and it is currently part of a corporate image upgrade and major advertising campaign:

Just Relax, Your Home in the Air

Obviously, they didn’t think it necessary to run this idea past a native speaker! :unamused:

[quote]Just Relax, Your Home in the Air

Obviously, they didn’t think it necessary to run this idea past a native speaker!

[/quote]

Maybe I’m a little slow today, but what’s wrong with that?

Telling clients to “just relax” is too familiar and too negative, especially for an airline with a wide range of clientel. “just do it” for Nike is fine. but for an airline, a definite no no

China Air: “Just relax dammit, we probably won’t crash”

I think the second half of the slogan should have a verb. Equivalents would be:

“Step on the gas, your luxury car” or “Eat up, your tasty food.”

It just seems plain clumsy to me.

How about “Just relax in your home in the air”?

Nah, it still sounds clumsy to me.

How would you have rewritten it, Monkey?

Maybe just “Your home in the air” would be the easy fix.

Monkey’s right, it sucks. They’re trying to create a parallel construction and failing. Just Relax, Unclench Your Butt Cheeks would be less clumsy, as would Your Home In The Air, Your Wind Beneath Our Wings. I can hear the pilots now: “Ladies and Gentlemen, we’re running into a little flatulence, but we should be over it in a few minutes. Please stay in your seats.” :laughing:

Or, they actually meant to say “Just relax, you’re home in the air” … if that’s the case, then they have goofed big-time!

The easiest fix would be “EVA, your home in the air.” The “just relax” bit is just annoying.

On the other hand, their new slogan look great on the side of a scooter. And Maoman’s revisions could easily grace the back of a nice jacket.

Or Maybe:

“Juss chill out homies! Dis shits gonna be aiiitte.”

China Hairlines, your “broken” home in the sky.

‘Mobile home’ springs to mind, and with that, WWF t-shirts and Buicks on piles of bricks. Flying trailer trash.

In this constuction, wouldn’t “your home” be the “just relax”?
Seems to me that it is a “thing,” “description of that thing.”
“Rover, your friend when the wife’s out.”
“Cardboard box, your home in the streets.”
“Urine, your bodily fluid.”

“Just relax” isn’t a thing.

The more I affix my 1,000-yard mental stare at this, the more I begin to get the sinking feeling that Monkey-boy might be right when he says that the intent was the contraction of “you are,” instead of “your.” If this is the case, some high-flyin’ Chinese management-type with more ego than talent in English is soon to have his wings clipped.

[By the way, saying “just relax,” implies that you are not relaxed, that you are perhaps nervous. This is not the right seed to plant in the minds of passengers. “Don’t panic, we’re almost there.”
I wonder if it sounds better in Chinese, or if it rhymes with something relavant in Chinese but ridiculous in English?]

EVA - your home in the air to relax

Any price I can win?

[quote=“Rascal”]EVA - your home in the air to relax

Any pri(z)e I can win?[/quote]
No, that’s really crappy. Does it sound better in German?

Can we have a poll to chose the best slogan ?

I wonder if native Chinese speakers get together and cluck and shake their heads about the way we native English speakers mangle their language. I suspect not but I don’t quite understand why.

I know they spend a lot of time clucking about the things we do, the way we behave – and the nihilistic stroke order we insist on using while scribing their characters. That much is for sure.

Just about everything I read here written in second-hand English from product specs to company profiles or slogans has laughable errors in it but the mystery to me is that when I point them out no one ever has the slightest concern about changing them.

I’ve explained that, in my view, native English speakers question your competence if your use of English is clumsy or stupid so one is doing actual harm to one’s company’s prospects by putting such stuff out. You would be better off having nothing.

Falls on deaf ears. Not once has anyone here modified anything after my dire statement. I’m sure they don’t believe a thing I say. I don’t even bother saying anything anymore but suffer in silence in my own private language hell.

Am I wrong here? Is this just my private nightmare or is it really a: BONA FIDE CULTURAL GAP?

I reckon EVA’s slogan should be “We reach for the sky, and niether does civilization”

[quote=“Gavin Januarus”]

Just about everything I read here written in second-hand English from product specs to company profiles or slogans has laughable errors in it but the mystery to me is that when I point them out no one ever has the slightest concern about changing them.

Am I wrong here? [/quote]

You raise an excellent point. It is truly rare to encounter standard, error-free English usage on a poster, sign, brochure, or website here.

When I went to work for a Taiwanese-owned company back home some years ago, I asked the owner why the English version of the brochure was so badly mangled. He exclaimed: “It should be perfect. We hired an editor from England to revise it for us!” Ahem.

Aside from not really knowing how to express things in clear, appropriate English, I don’t think people here much care. How many times has one of your business associates told you that he’ll be sure and touch you tomorrow?

T.