Ex-Pop Star Cat Stevens Deported from U.S

[quote=“cableguy”]Comrade Stalin wrote

Stevens was deported from the USA because of a spelling error in his name. He has spoken out against terrorists, including those who attacked the USA on 9/11.[/quote]
No, Stevens was [color=red]allowed on the flight[/color] because of a spelling [color=red]variation[/color] in how his name appeared on the list. Romanization of Arabic is sort of like romanization of Chinese – nobody quite agrees on how to do it.

He was told to fuck off back to Britain because someone noticed that he was on the list under a different spelling.

As for his having “spoken out against terrorists”, the current “war”, such as it is, is not just about September 11th, contrary to what you want to believe. Cat Stevens / Yusuf Islam / (whatever his real name was) has donated money to Hamas, and has spoken out in favor of murdering a man because of a book he wrote.

Too bad. He has the freedom to speak his mind – and the U.S. has the freedom to tell him he can’t visit.

MaPoSquid wrote

I agree 100%.

Oh my! :astonished: Georgiou/Stevens/Islam: Please say it ain’t so!!!

Cat Stevens was guest of Canadian Hamas front

In a videotape of the 1998 event obtained by the National Post, Mr. Islam describes Israel as a “so-called new society” created by a “so-called religion” and urges the audience to donate to the Jerusalem Fund for Human Services to “lessen the suffering of our brothers and sisters in Palestine and the Holy Land.”

canada.com/national/national … 3611a46aba

:bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

I see, Comrade Stalin, as a commie bastard you believe the man’s guilty until proven innocent: he condemns mistreatment of palestinians, so he must be a terrorist, take him out back and shoot him. Personally, having been raised in the land of the free, I believe that a man is innocent until proven guilty, so I prefer to accept his version until any real proof surfaces that he aided or abetted terrorists.

Yusuf Islam wrote

[quote]Consistently I have condemned the attacks of 9/11, stating that the slaughter of innocents, the taking of hostages and coldblooded killing of women and children have nothing do with the teachings of Islam. I’ve openly and publicly repudiated the actions of groups that resort to such acts of inhumanity

MT:

Yes, innocent until proven guilty unless Bush, Halliburton, Dick Cheney, the soldiers in Abu Ghraib, etc. Please spare me your moral posturing now. Your record of tendencies and sympathies is all too clear.

[quote=“fred smith”]MT:

Yes, innocent until proven guilty unless Bush, Halliburton, Dick Cheney, the soldiers in Abu Ghraib, etc. Please spare me your moral posturing now. Your record of tendencies and sympathies is all too clear.[/quote]

Yes Fred, I have a tendency to sympathize with those who are poor, innocent and oppressed, unlike you, who sympathize with those are rich, guilty oppressors. So spare me your moral posturing. :raspberry:

[quote=“Mother Theresa”][quote=“fred smith”]MT:

Yes, innocent until proven guilty unless Bush, Halliburton, Dick Cheney, the soldiers in Abu Ghraib, etc. Please spare me your moral posturing now. Your record of tendencies and sympathies is all too clear.[/quote]

Yes Fred, I have a tendency to sympathize with those who are poor, innocent and oppressed, unlike you, who sympathize with those are rich, guilty oppressors. So spare me your moral posturing. :raspberry:[/quote]

I didn’t think there were many of those in Marin and Humboldt counties. :smiling_imp:

Why not quit the social re-engineering which has proven such a failure in every communist and/or other nation where it was tried. Why not just stand up for justice rather than making it a partisan issue. I think that it is sad that you allow your emotions and preconditioned responses to poison the pursuit of justice. That, I think, should be the highest goal. But then I am enlightened. Apparently, you are not.

I don’t know what the hell you’re blathering about Fred. I am simply doubtful that Cat Stevens was truly deported as the result of a spelling error (even BF doesn’t believe that, claiming Cat has ties to Hamas). And I refuse to believe speculation about the man’s purported ties to Hamas until someone provides hard evidence (if it were true, wouldn’t the US have imprisoned him?).

No matter how much a person may be defamed by anonymous posters on Internet bulletin boards (or perhaps because of it), I prefer to believe the target of such rumors is innnocent until proven guilty. If you prefer to believe such rumors without proof that’s your business.

I await your proof that Bush lied about wmds in Iraq, that John Ashcroft is out to get rid of civil and constitutional rights, that Halliburton was guilty of overcharging the US government and that Vice President Dick Cheney was involved or complicit in anyway, that Katharine Harris or Jeb Bush intentionally disenfranchised black voters in Florida, that black voters were disenfranchised and that Bush claimed Saddam was responsible for 911 or that Iraq was an imminent threat. You can also prove that Joe Wilson did not lie and that the media covered his denouement as prominently as his accusations. Finally, while we are at it, let’s have some proof that the US government was responsible for overthrowing Allende in 1973. That should be a tall order and charges that will be very difficult for you to prove. ERGO. I assume for all the above that you will agree with me that there is no proof of any of the above. Glad to see we both are so keen to protect the innocent until proven guilty.

Hmmm…and now it seems the UK has denied a visa to Sizzla, a Jamaican reggae singer who performs anti-gay songs.

365gay.com/newscon04/11/110404reggae.htm

But it’s ok for Cat Stevens aka Yusuf Islam to advocate murdering Salmon Rushdie and a violation of his rights for the US to deny him a visa.

nytimes.com/books/99/04/18/s … e-cat.html

I wonder if the same people here who were so very outraged by the US decision will be equally outraged by the UK decision.

And from The Times it looks like someone still has a few knives sharpened for Salman Rushdie.

[quote]
Ayatollah revives the death fatwa on Salman Rushdie

January 20, 2005
By Philip Webster, Ben Hoyle and Ramita Navai

A FATWA against the author Salman Rushdie was reaffirmed by Iran

Singer Islam gets libel damages