Exchanging Driver's licenses in Taiwan

I’ve heard that if you are from certain states in the USA and have driver’s license from that state, Taiwan will issue you a local driver’s license. Does anybody have a list of which US states qualify? I tried searching but had no luck.

eng.taichung.gov.tw/ct.aspx?xIte … de=824&mp=

Go to this link, then select North America.

It will download the entire pdf list.

Edit. It appears the link doesn’t work when copied and directly clicked.
Go to Google, type in drivers license reciprocity taiwan , and the first one should be the Taichung government site.

The above link seems to be missing a number. Try this one: http://eng.taichung.gov.tw/ct.aspx?xItem=5355&ctNode=824&mp=1

For some reason that website only has information about Taiwanese Driver’s Licenses and International Driver’s Licenses (from Taiwan) being used in North America. I have seen the document before with the information you are looking for but I can’t find it at the moment. AIT mentions that only Oklahoma and Maryland licenses can be exchanged but you still need to verify this with the local DMV acs.ait.org.tw/driving.html

I saw this thread and decided to see if I can find any information for Australian citizens in Taiwan. I found the following on the Australian Office in Taipei’s website:

http://www.australia.org.tw/tpei/driving_in_twdriving_in_tw.html

Taiwan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs has advised the Australian Office in Taipei that under a reciprocal agreement, Australian citizens aged 25 years and above holding a valid Australian Drivers’ Licence can now apply for a Taiwanese Drivers’ Licence for small vehicles and motorbikes without undertaking tests.

Looks promising, has anyone else done this?

I know the AIT information is wrong. California licenses can be exchanged in taiwan. I know people who’ve done it with California licenses.

I know the AIT information is wrong. California licenses can be exchanged in Taiwan. I know people who’ve done it with California licenses.[/quote]
Please update us on how to convert California licenses (I’m in that boat) or ask your friend to.

Excel file with all the data

X in the left column means you can trade a driver’s license from that country/state/province to a Taiwanese one. Looks like California is on the list. You need to get your license verified at the corresponding cultural office in Taiwan. I am not sure if it will work if you have a license from a country of which you are not a citizen. At the DMV they have a list of all the licenses that can be exchanged so it would be best to call them and make sure this list is correct.

[quote=“photi”]Excel file with all the data

X in the left column means you can trade a driver’s license from that country/state/province to a Taiwanese one. Looks like California is on the list. You need to get your license verified at the corresponding cultural office in Taiwan. I am not sure if it will work if you have a license from a country of which you are not a citizen. At the DMV they have a list of all the licenses that can be exchanged so it would be best to call them and make sure this list is correct.[/quote]

Thanks. looks like i’m out of luck. ive read you can also get a sworn statement that your license is genuine notorized by the AIT office in place of TECO authentication.

I recently just received my ARC and am ecstatic about finally getting my local license.

From my understanding this is what I’ll need if I hold a valid New Jersey driver’s license+2 yearARC

1. Valid passport
  2. Photocopy of valid passport (signature page)
  3. 3 ID pictures (same size used with ARC app)
  4. Valid foreign driver’s license (in my case I’m using a New Jersey license)
  5. Notary from AIT stating my driver’s license is valid and indeed mine
  6. ARC
  7. Application form for local license
  8. Physical Examination form from hospital/clinic
  9. Cash for license fee

Am I missing anything? I’ve read two sides of applying for local license directly from foreign license. One is the one I mentioned above and the other requires me to retake the written and road test.

Please tell me I do not have to retake the written and road test. Any feedback would be great!

AIT’s a joke.

Any updates on exchanging California license? I got pulled over last month with just my CA drivers license and an International Drivers Permit (issued by AAA, valid for a 1 year) and the cops had no idea what both were. Unfortunately I still got a ticket, but no warning about getting a Taiwan license.

Robotea are you in Taipei?
From what i heard they never give breaks to foreigners in Taipei.

When i get,pulled over up here in the south, i turn to the Chinese translated section of the international license. They have always been nice and give me a warning.

[quote=“Robotea”]AIT’s a joke.

Any updates on exchanging California license? I got pulled over last month with just my CA drivers license and an International Drivers Permit (issued by AAA, valid for a 1 year) and the cops had no idea what both were. Unfortunately I still got a ticket, but no warning about getting a Taiwan license.[/quote]

Having interned there for a summer a few years back, I know how frustrating it can be. It took forever for some internal things to go through the system.

I can’t even begin to think how long this notary is going to take. Already need to take half a day off JUST so I can go to AIT. Not something I wanted to do 2 weeks into the job.

Can anyone confirm my previous post on items needed to apply for local license with ARC+New Jersey license?

[quote=“ranlee”][quote=“Robotea”]AIT’s a joke.

Any updates on exchanging California license? I got pulled over last month with just my CA drivers license and an International Drivers Permit (issued by AAA, valid for a 1 year) and the cops had no idea what both were. Unfortunately I still got a ticket, but no warning about getting a Taiwan license.[/quote]

Having interned there for a summer a few years back, I know how frustrating it can be. It took forever for some internal things to go through the system.

I can’t even begin to think how long this notary is going to take. Already need to take half a day off JUST so I can go to AIT. Not something I wanted to do 2 weeks into the job.

Can anyone confirm my previous post on items needed to apply for local license with ARC+New Jersey license?[/quote]

Taiwan doesn’t honor the period of the IDP. You need to get it renewed every month.

For New Jersey, someone posted a link earlier to the spreadsheet. Looks like new Jersey is not on the list and you’ll have to take the test here.

I’m heading to the Taipei DMV next week to get some stamp on my International Drivers Permit (IDP). From what I read on either the DMV or AIT’s (AIT oh jeebus) website, the IDP is good for the 1st 30 days you arrive in Taipei.

After 30 days,
If you have an ARC, you need to get your IDP stamped/verified/whatever at the DMV and the validity date is the same as your ARC expired date. That should be as good as having a license. My ARC expires Nov, 2014 so I don’t see a problem with them stamping it. I’m heading back to the states in Oct so I’ll just get another IDP; however when I renew my ARC in Nov, it will be for 2 years. I’m not sure if the DMV will stamp it for 2 years or have me take the driving test.

I’ll let you guys know how it goes next week. AIT, smh.

[quote=“nonredneck”][quote=“ranlee”][quote=“Robotea”]AIT’s a joke.

Can anyone confirm my previous post on items needed to apply for local license with ARC+New Jersey license?[/quote]

Taiwan doesn’t honor the period of the IDP. You need to get it renewed every month.

For New Jersey, someone posted a link earlier to the spreadsheet. Looks like new Jersey is not on the list and you’ll have to take the test here.[/quote]

I guess I’m misinterpreting the excel sheet wrong. Has the regulation changed recently? Because I went 4 months back to the DMV and they told me I didn’t need to retake the test, but only needed to exchange.

[quote=“Robotea”]I’m heading to the Taipei DMV next week to get some stamp on my International Drivers Permit (IDP). From what I read on either the DMV or AIT’s (AIT oh jeebus) website, the IDP is good for the 1st 30 days you arrive in Taipei.

After 30 days,
If you have an ARC, you need to get your IDP stamped/verified/whatever at the DMV and the validity date is the same as your ARC expired date. That should be as good as having a license. My ARC expires Nov, 2014 so I don’t see a problem with them stamping it. I’m heading back to the states in Oct so I’ll just get another IDP; however when I renew my ARC in Nov, it will be for 2 years. I’m not sure if the DMV will stamp it for 2 years or have me take the driving test.

I’ll let you guys know how it goes next week. AIT, smh.[/quote]

There are a few US states which have reciprocity and you can get a TW license without the test, but very few and done by state. There are threads in the car section (do not have the links). I am from Texas which does not, and had to take the driving test to get my TW license. Drove 2 years on Intl License (car and MC). A US Intl license is 1 year so you would need to get a 2nd for the 2nd year, which is what I did earlier.

May want to gather everything you have (PP, license, ARCs,…) and go to the DMV and see if they will give you a TW license. FYI, if you have to take the TW driving test, it is a pain in the ass (see the car section threads).

[quote=“Micahel”][quote=“Robotea”]I’m heading to the Taipei DMV next week to get some stamp on my International Drivers Permit (IDP). From what I read on either the DMV or AIT’s (AIT oh jeebus) website, the IDP is good for the 1st 30 days you arrive in Taipei.

After 30 days,

I’ll let you guys know how it goes next week. AIT, smh.[/quote]

There are a few US states which have reciprocity and you can get a TW license without the test, but very few and done by state. There are threads in the car section (do not have the links). I am from Texas which does not, and had to take the driving test to get my TW license. Drove 2 years on Intl License (car and MC). A US Intl license is 1 year so you would need to get a 2nd for the 2nd year, which is what I did earlier.

May want to gather everything you have (PP, license, ARCs,…) and go to the DMV and see if they will give you a TW license. FYI, if you have to take the TW driving test, it is a pain in the ass (see the car section threads).[/quote]

To my understanding, in order to apply for an intl license, I’ll need an intl license from home country to exchange for a TW intl license? If intl license is an easier process, I may just go that route.

[quote=“ranlee”]

To my understanding, in order to apply for an intl license, I’ll need an intl license from home country to exchange for a TW intl license? If intl license is an easier process, I may just go that route.[/quote]

Sorry 2 topics and I have jumbled them. 1) Driving in TW on an Intl Licence. 2) Getting a TW Drivers License

1. To drive in TW on an Intl license (assume you are from the US) you need a US Intl license. If you do not have one, go to any AAA office to get one ($15 if you provide your picture otherwise $25). You can drive up to 30 days from entry on that. After 30 days, you are suppose to go to the DMV and get your Intl License authorized by the TW DMV. It will be authorized to the earliest expiration date of your ARC or Intl license. .

2. If you want a TW license, you will need to have a US license from one of the few states that have reciprocity (no test), otherwise you would need to take the test.

[quote=“Micahel”][quote=“ranlee”]

To my understanding, in order to apply for an intl license, I’ll need an intl license from home country to exchange for a TW intl license? If intl license is an easier process, I may just go that route.[/quote]

Sorry 2 topics and I have jumbled them. 1) Driving in TW on an Intl Licence. 2) Getting a TW Drivers License

1. To drive in TW on an Intl license (assume you are from the US) you need a US Intl license. If you do not have one, go to any AAA office to get one ($15 if you provide your picture otherwise $25). You can drive up to 30 days from entry on that. After 30 days, you are suppose to go to the DMV and get your Intl License authorized by the TW DMV. It will be authorized to the earliest expiration date of your ARC or Intl license. .

2. If you want a TW license, you will need to have a US license from one of the few states that have reciprocity (no test), otherwise you would need to take the test.[/quote]

Thanks for clarifying Micahel. It’s too bad I didn’t get an intl US license while I was visiting in April. That route seems to be less of a hassle since it can use it to the length of my ARC.