Exchanging Driver's licenses in Taiwan

Does your UK licence allow you to drive scooter(or any other motorcycle) ?. Despite what @ranlee says, if your UK licence allows you to drive scooter you can directly convert it to TW licence and no need to do the test.

I had my HK drivers licence(it had both car and motorcycle on it) converted to TW licence about 1 month ago, I got both car and light motorcycle(up to 400cc I think) without having to do a test.

@ranlee is correct, @morran01 is not. However, I will add that after the 30 days, you can go to the DMV to have it stamped. This will make your IDP valid for the duration.

UK does not have a reciprocity agreement with Taiwan (See page 3).

https://www.thb.gov.tw/file.ashx?id=80cf6983-dc94-4d15-9909-589f1e50a869

*250 cc

Edit: Actually, I’m a bit surprised they allowed you to exchange for the motorcycle license. That seems to be quite the rare feat here. So they gave you two separate licenses?

1 Like

Okay, I am mistaken. I assumed that most licences from the EU would be convertible to a Taiwanese licence.

And yes, I received two licences(weird they cannot put both the motorcycle and car license on the same card?)

For the basis for the conversion I used a HK licence which has both car and motorcycle.

I thought you needed to take your IDP to the DMV before the 30 days have passed. But I may be wrong about that.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve been here too long and adopted some chabuduoism.

2 Likes

Congratulations to those from Israel, you can now convert your license:

Does anyone have recent experience “exchanging” a foreign license for a Taiwan license?

Questions:

1. To confirm, the Taiwan DMV does not attempt to retain or destroy the foreign license ? That is, they only look at it to confirm it is valid and I would be free to go back to the foreign country and continue using it?

2. To authenticate a US drivers license, does AIT have a form affidavit or do I need to bring one to the appointment?

1. I was able to exchange my Texas DL last month and I retained my TX license as well.

2. Make an appointment with AIT online and make sure to bring your drivers license with a copy of the front and back. They will give you a form at the counter. It’ll cost USD$50 for the notary and they also accept TWD.

4 Likes

The rules are different for different countries and states, depending on what the reciprocal agreement is. For some it’s an exchange whereby the original license is retained and a Taiwanese license given in return, for others simply showing a license is enough to obtain a Taiwanese license.