Exchanging Driver's licenses in Taiwan

hi,

all

if you dont have a . arc can you still apply for a taiwan CAR driving licence . ? OR YOU ONLY ALLOWED MOTOR BIKE LICENCE .

i have a australian licence at the moment .

THKS

MIKE

[quote=“KEYESGOOD”]hi,

all

if you dont have a . arc can you still apply for a taiwan CAR driving licence . ? OR YOU ONLY ALLOWED MOTOR BIKE LICENCE .

I have a australian licence at the moment .

THKS

MIKE[/quote]
None, the only thing you can use is an IDL … during 30 days, than go to have it stamped at any DMV office on the island, preferably the closest to where you live. You probably can drive a 50cc scooter.

[quote]Transferring into Taiwan’s driver license

The principles of equity and mutual benefit apply to all non-citizens of the Republic of China. You can view the table of reciprocating countries to determine your eligibility for a ROC driver’s license or an international driver’s license permit
Table of reciprocating countries(Regulations)

Requirements:

A.R.C card. (over one year residence period)
Three 1-inch photos.
A registration form with the qualified physical examination.
A valid passport and original driver’s license.
Your foreign driving license must be authenticated overseas by an embassy or consulate of the Taiwan, or Representative Office, Liaison Office or other office duly authorized by the Taiwan Ministry Of Foreign Affairs or be authenticated in Taiwan by your country’s embassy, consulate or other office which is duly authorized by Taiwan Ministry Of Foreign Affairs.
Fee:NT$200

The permit of International driver’s license

Requirements:

Valid international driving license.
Passport or A.R.C card.
One identical bust taken within the past six months one inch glossy printing paper black and white or color photos, no composite photos, full face front view with a plain white background and no wearing hat or headgear except for religious reasons, without dark glasses or glasses with tinted lenses unless it is for medical reasons.
NOTES:
A foreigners holding a valid international driving license issued by our
reciprocating countries can drive in Taiwan for thirty days without applying for a
international driving permit.
The maximum period of validity for a driving permit of international driving license is one year.
The expiry date of the driving permit depends on the expiry date of the original
international driving license and A.R.C ,whichever expires first.
[/quote]

thb.gov.tw/TM/Files/AustraliaOceania.pdf

Why do you people even dare to drive on these roads when most Taiwanese people drive like they have an extra chromosome?

After seeing the aftermaths of two nasty accidents (paramedics peeling unconscious scooter drivers off the rd) I have changed my mind about getting a license.

Just get yourself a larger car. It’s actually much safer to drive around than walk.

I overlook the craziness of scooters not following any traffic rules and realize how much freedom you get by having your own scooter and being able to go places when you want without having to wait for a bus or commuting via the MRT.

Being able to cut commute time from a 40 min bus ride to a 15 min scooter ride, is golden.

I overlook the craziness of scooters not following any traffic rules and realize how much freedom you get by having your own scooter and being able to go places when you want without having to wait for a bus or commuting via the MRT.

Being able to cut commute time from a 40 min bus ride to a 15 min scooter ride, is golden.[/quote]
On the other hand … a 25 min. shorter commute time could end up in a two weeks hospital stay … :eh: just saying that’s it’s not always that straight forward. And not that I don’t drive in Taiwan, but I don’t dirve into Taipei from where I live on a scooter that often as some others do daily. To much risk.

Being able to cut commute time from a 40 min bus ride to a 15 min scooter ride, is golden.[/quote]
On the other hand … a 25 min. shorter commute time could end up in a two weeks hospital stay … :eh: just saying that’s it’s not always that straight forward. And not that I don’t drive in Taiwan, but I don’t dirve into Taipei from where I live on a scooter that often as some others do daily. To much risk.[/quote]

I guess it’s a difference of opinion. I myself am very very careful when I get on my scooter and usually drive defensively, but I know as careful as I am, there’s going to be some idiot scooter or driver that will cause an accident. I guess being aware of my surroundings is the most I can do.

I sometimes get very very annoyed when I see people with scooters that either do not have mirrors or their mirrors turned around, THOSE are the people that don’t look before turning right and change lanes as if no one was there. Also, the cool kids that have the tiniest of tiny mirrors on their pimped out scooters, really? What’s the point? Just take them off! You’re not using them anyways.

On the other hand … a 25 min. shorter commute time could end up in a two weeks hospital stay … :eh: just saying that’s it’s not always that straight forward. And not that I don’t drive in Taiwan, but I don’t dirve into Taipei from where I live on a scooter that often as some others do daily. To much risk.[/quote]

I guess it’s a difference of opinion. I myself am very very careful when I get on my scooter and usually drive defensively, but I know as careful as I am, there’s going to be some idiot scooter or driver that will cause an accident. I guess being aware of my surroundings is the most I can do.

I sometimes get very very annoyed when I see people with scooters that either do not have mirrors or their mirrors turned around, THOSE are the people that don’t look before turning right and change lanes as if no one was there. Also, the cool kids that have the tiniest of tiny mirrors on their pimped out scooters, really? What’s the point? Just take them off! You’re not using them anyways.[/quote]
Rule number one in Taiwan … never look behind you … just try to avoid what’s in front of you.

[quote=“bumclouds”]Why do you people even dare to drive on these roads when most Taiwanese people drive like they have an extra chromosome?

After seeing the aftermaths of two nasty accidents (paramedics peeling unconscious scooter drivers off the Rd) I have changed my mind about getting a license.[/quote]

I think you’re overworrying here. Yes, people drive like maniacs, but there’s a sort of synergy to it that lets everything work together. If you want to get into the numbers of it, driving in Taiwan is far safer than driving in Texas.

CNA reports that 1,928 people died in traffic accident last year in Taiwan, a country of 23 million people. In Texas, which is huge and has much wider roads, 2,603 people have died so far this year in traffic accidents. The population of Texas is slightly larger than Taiwan’s at 26 million.

But if you want to treat numbers fairly, what is the numbers of drivers in taiwan v Texas?

I think the only thing that lets the roads work in taiwan is that most people are very aware of what’s going on around them.

1. In OECD countries, a death within 30 days of a traffic accident counts as caused by it. In Taiwan, the threshold is 24 hours. (Talking from memory here, please correct me if I’m wrong.)
  2. Americans drive much more and for longer distances, so the comparison should be per km/mile driven to make it more accurate.
  3. In Taiwan the accidents might be less lethal due to low speeds but there’s still a lot of injuries, sometimes permanently life-changing.
  4. Anecdotal evidence suggests statistics are not collected with the same level of diligence in Taiwan, and they certainly don’t need to follow the practices set by any organization they’re not a member of, and they’re not a member of OECD, UN/WHO, WB, etc.
  5. Accident rates in the US are already higher than anywhere else in the developed world. Why not compare to, say, Britain?

[quote=“res”]But if you want to treat numbers fairly, what is the numbers of drivers in taiwan v Texas?

I think the only thing that lets the roads work in taiwan is that most people are very aware of what’s going on around them.[/quote]

I was going to say you took what I said this past weekend to you in person and posted it here, then realized it was posted 2 days prior to our conversation.

Going along with res’ statement and working off of Doraemonster’s last point

[quote=“Doraemonster”]
5. Accident rates in the US are already higher than anywhere else in the developed world. Why not compare to, say, Britain?[/quote]

Comparing, let’s just say Taipei, to the states is not the greatest comparison, imo. In Taipei, driving is a luxury, not a necessity, whereas driving in the states (if you do not live in Chicago, DC, New York, Boston where there’s a subway system), is a necessity. So think about the skill level of people that are on the roads in the states. That can and probably results any many unskilled drivers on the road that probably should not have their license. Also, I know in Jersey, the road test is a joke compared to that of the Taipei road test for cars. The reverse S turn in the Taipei road test alone requires more skill than the entire New Jersey test. Now I’m not saying all the drivers on the road here in Taipei are skilled drivers, but I can assume there’s less unskilled here than in the states.

You get a very large amount of population here in Taipei are just down right scared to get behind the wheel.

I also had a friend from the states, a fellow ABC, that kept telling me how the locals “'don’t know how to drive” and that New York City is much worse than Taipei. To make it easier to read, our conversation:
-If they do not know how to drive, why don’t you get out there since you know how to drive so well?
-I would never drive here, they’re crazy, there’s so many scooters
-But if they don’t know how to drive, clearly you do, so it shouldn’t be a problem for you. Also, NYC doesn’t have scooters, how can it be crazier there?
-The taxi drivers
-Taipei has crazy taxi drivers AND scooters

She didn’t have much to say after I pointed out that if you say that people can’t drive here, but you’re unwilling to get on the road to see for yourself, you have no right to say people can’t drive.

[quote=“ranlee”]if you say that people can’t drive here, but you’re unwilling to get on the road to see for yourself, you have no right to say people can’t drive.[/quote]Bollocks. You can see it for yourself if; i) you get in a taxi, ii) you sit in the passenger seat with a friend; iii) walking on the road and witnessing people running red lights and people not giving way to pedestrians.

Bump.

I just went to the DMV a few days ago and wanted to get a 1 year extension/stamp on my AAA issued international license from the states and the DMV would not allow it due to my ARC expiring in 2 months.

I know the thread here or regulation states that you need to get the international license stamped within 30 days of the issued or valid, but that’s NOT the case. According to the guy behind the counter, as long as you have:

1. ARC valid for a year
  2. Two passport sized pictures
  3. Valid overseas driver’s license
    (4). Bring your passport just in case

You are all set for that 1 year extension.

Does your ARC need at least 1 year validity? Mine has only 7 months because I renew it every year. Also, I have my local Australian license which is valid, but no international drivers permit.

I wonder if a Malaysian or Korean DL can be exchanged for a Taiwan one?

I have US one as well.

You can find transferrability by country (in English) on the MOTC website here: https://www.thb.gov.tw/sites/ch/modules/download/download_list?node=831dcd37-7259-47c3-9211-ffbf8dee35bc&c=89275811-dcff-4d14-877e-981db78a5b18

Malaysian and Korean license are both convertible according to the list, as are many US states.

They normally check that it’s 1 year validity, but sometimes it depends on who is behind the counter at the DMV.

I wasn’t sure if I should start a new thread so I’ll just continue here.

I have a UK driving licence and when I get to Taiwan I would like to get a scooter. Would my UK licence allow me to do this?

From what I can see from this thread I should get an international drivers permit from the UK and then when I get to Taiwan I can use that for a month and then go to a Taiwanese DMV to get a local licence.

Does that sound about right?

First and foremost, you need an ARC. This allows you to be able to buy a scooter and register it to an address.

Secondly, yes, I believe you can use an IDP to operate a scooter for 30 days or so, but after that, you will need to pass the written/road test for a local scooter license. The written test is quite easy and common sense. The road test is on a closed course and you could probably do it with one hand and blind folded.

Only downside to getting the local scooter license is it’s time consuming and if you’re working, you need to take some time off of work to go.

1 Like