Exchanging NTD for RM (Malaysian Ringgit)

Hey guys, I’m travelling to Malaysia for cny and I was wondering if there’s any place to exchange cash before I go? I know most banks/malls have currency exchanges but will they have RM?

anyone who’s been to malaysia let me know where you got your currency (and also if you have any recs, haha!) Thank you!

Bank of Taiwan. The one near the Presidential Palace definitely. Where you going in Malaysia? I’m there now :slight_smile:

I think bank of Taiwan is the only bank that hold RMs. I’ve had to use them because my 2 banks don’t have any.

I’m going on saturday and will be there for the week :smiley:

Do you hold an account with them, or will they let non-members exchange currency?

Anyone can. Bring ID. Where in Malaysia you going?

Ah! Thank you! Heading to Kuala Lumpur and Penang

yup anyone, Just an picture ID like passport and the cash. They will just buy and sell at a rate for them to profit from the service.

1 Like

Airports also if youre really stuck. The other banks at the aiport usually has rm. Otherwise i use bank of taiwan too. But for some small branches dont doing foreign exchange or only a couple like usd and yen.

If you like old school coffee shop restaurants and are around Chinatown go to Sin Hoi How for breakfast or lunch.

Oh, and use Grab.

I’ll be making a short stopover in Kuala Lumpur (6Hours+) before heading to Indonesia next mth…Wifey & I plan to eat and maybe do a little shopping there at the Airport…How much NTD should I exchange for Ringgit that should cover our needs during this time? 2000? 3000? We’ll also be making another stopover at KM on our way back (3+ hours)…

Thats the taxi app, isnt it? Thanks so much :smiley:

1 Like

Small world, that’s my exact itinerary over CNY (I’m guessing you’re flying Malaysia Air also?) Anyway, I used this to help me budget:

1 Like

The spread on RM - NTD could be quite steep. If I were you consider changing it into Freedom Dollars here and then to RM and IDR (if you go to Indonesia) during your trip. I think the BoT NTD - IDR spread is upwards of 8%

2 Likes

My BOT here in Taoyuan couldn’t exchange to Indonesian Rp nor Malaysian RM; they said I’d need to go to another branch near the train station (lots of immigrant workers in that area). However, they suggested doing what you said above, just getting USD then doing the exchange at the respective airports.

Cool!! Thanks for the link…So I guess changing NT$1000~2000 will be more than enough for our round trip stopover in KM. :hugs: …I’m flying Air Asia :grinning:

I’ll try changing my NT$ today at a small BoT right near my work place here in San Chung…hope they have RM.

Edit: Just called the Touqian Road, Xinzhuang District branch and they said they have RMs…will go later in the afternoon to exchange!

It’s CNY time so be prepared to wait. Below is what my BoT looked like yesterday, a line out the door…

OMG!! Thanks for reminding me…I just remembered that all Banks have decided to allow changing old currency notes for new ones on the 29th, 30th & the 31st (3 days only), so these 3 days will be very crowded…I’ll just go take a look and see how’s the situation…if it’s too crowded, I’ll just wait till after CNY to exchange.