Exit Plan(s)

WTF. Looks like they just lock them in some abandoned warehouse. For 200 a day they could at least make a slight effort, methinks. That’s nearly the same fee as a pet hotel.

And they wonder why people aren’t coming forward to get tested.

The spacesuits are just the icing on the cake. What an absolute farce this is.

1 Like

Yeah, I think it was stupid in foresight as well lol

2 Likes

Well, few paperworks, then immigration officer visits a marina, the coastguard performs some sort of cargo cult, and you’re good to go. Probably a bit more complicated recently.

1 Like

Thanks. Sounds simpler than I expected.

Do you know anything about local companies offering skippered charter?

I do. Please feel free to PM.

I am currently in Hong Kong, waiting for my next flight. As I have time to kill, I will share my experience with the PRC, process at the airport, etc.

First, I decided to leave mostly because I miss my family and I also want to get vaccinated. I am excited to experience the re-opening of Europe this summer. Also, I lost my job in Taiwan at the end of last year, and have been working remotely for a European company, so my location is very flexible. Thankfully, I have a Gold Card so unless something drastic happens, I should be able to come back to Taiwan, which I plan to do in September.

The process to understand requirements to fly was a rollercoaster. I am flying home to Estonia via Hong Kong and London. Initially I called Cathay Pacific (my airline) to ask about requirements, and they said that I would not require a PCR test if Estonia didn’t require one. The same answer came from British Airways (carrier of a different segment of the trip). I decided to do a PCR anyway because I felt that it was a responsible thing to do.

2 of my PCR test appointments were cancelled. I ended up hoarding multiple bookings in advance to have it covered. Further 1 booking was cancelled, and 2 remained (at Far Eastern and then at Tri-Service General Hospital Songshan branch). I ended up cancelling Far Eastern because Songshan was a more convenient location. The process was smooth, little inefficiencies here and there but nothing extraordinary.

Well, great that I booked the tests anyway because 2 days before the flight, Cathay Pacific check-in desk manager sent me an email and informed that I will need a PCR test after all (for my British Airways flight). UK requires PCR test from everyone flying there, even if it is just a transfer.

I arrived at the airport a bit less than 2 hours before my scheduled flight. No queues at CX check-in. The check-in process itself took looooong time, 20+ minutes. I don’t think it usually takes that long but I was flying to the exotic Estonia so it was a struggle for them to confirm entry requirements, understand the COVID-19 passenger locator form, etc.

There was a crazy long line for a Thai Airlines flight. No social distancing whatsoever.

Beyond check-in, everything else was pretty much normal, except for the airport was completely empty. Surprisingly, most of the shops were open. There were approx. 20 people on my flight to Hong Kong.

Hong Kong Airport is also completely empty, all the shops closed too. I have 7 hour wait here.

Good luck to everyone who decide to exit and those who decide to stay, too! I am confident that Taiwan will get its vaccines sorted out and the situation under control. Can’t wait to be back.

16 Likes

Thanks to share your experience with all of us!

1 Like

Thank you for this very helpful report!

How did you make these PCR travel test appointments? Is it possible via the website of the hospitals and does it require Chinese, please?

1 Like

Far Eastern seems to be very reliable and foreigner friendly. Online system is easy to understand, they send reminders via SMS, QR code, etc. Forms can be done online and in English. Several users of this forum have reported that they got it done in Far Eastern.

I hope this helps.

5 Likes

Thanks for you info.

Please let us know how the journey goes HK to the UK.

1 Like

you may need to check on what a cargo cult actually is…

I think he meant ‘cargo cult ritual’ … ?

I do certainly know what it is.

I did build a bamboo vaccination centre and a ventilator last year. No luck.

1 Like

But did you try it with a nurse dolls?

1 Like

If it was stupid in foresight could there be a possibility of either Civil or criminal liability?

Layover in Hong Kong was loooong. The airport was completely deserted and all the shops were closed.
IMG_1104

I had access to a CX lounge in Hong Kong. I was a bit shocked that masks were frequently not worn when sitting down at the lounge (worn when walking around, etc.). That applies to caucasian looking people mostly. The lounge had table service to encourage people to walk around as little as possible. It was super empty, so all was OK from social distancing point of view.

A friend of mine works for BA so I got some data on capacity:

• Total flight: 135 (45%) of 297 seats were sold
  • First class: 5 (36%) of 14 seats were sold
  • Business class: 25 (45%) of 56 seats were sold
  • Premium economy: 30 (68%) of 44 seats were sold
  • Economy: 75 (41%) of 183 seats were sold

Boarding was strictly done by row numbers to avoid queueing. It worked quite well. My PCR test was checked again along with all the forms that I needed to transfer in the UK and enter Estonia.

Service was back to normal for the most part, I’d say. Similarly to CX, a little “COVID” pack was given after boarding. CX gave a mask with some alcohol wipes. BA gave a bag with alcohol wipes only.

I was a bit surprised to see that some crew members didn’t wear their masks properly (nose out, etc.).

Getting out was also done by row number, and everyone was requested to stay seated until their row number was called. This was enforced, too.

In LHR staff and people are super relaxed when it comes to masking and social distancing. Staff members chatting in big groups with masks under their chins, passengers walk around with noses out, etc. Thankfully, the airport is empty so I can avoid getting close to them.

Overall, an OK experience. It is quite nice to travel when airports and flights are empty. Now a further 4 hour wait for my next connection.

9 Likes

Are the PCR tests still super expensive? I remember being told it was something around 7K for foreigners without NHI, which is absurd considering I can get them for less than 100$ CAD back home.

I’m also considering leaving as I can get an appointment for Pfizer/Moderna as soon as I finish quarantine in Canada. I’ll be back when this whole Covid thing blows over though, Taiwan is my second home!

Yeah, I paid 7k for “urgent” same-day service - this is the cheapest I could find but it is possible to find options up to 12k! It is 5k with next day service. Free NHI funded tests mostly take 3 days nowadays (but no guarantee is given) so it is not really suitable for travel because you need to test up to 72 hours before the departure.

2 Likes

That’s crazy, but it seems I don’t have much of a choice. Thanks for your prompt answer, safe travels!

1 Like