Exit Plan(s)

Can anyone confirm, the only thing needed for a Taiwanese passport holder to enter the US is a valid ESTA, right?

ESTA allows you to board a plane to the US but it does not 100% guarantee entry.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/tourism-visit/visa-waiver-program.html

An approved ESTA allows you to travel to a U.S. port-of-entry (generally an airport) and request permission to enter the United States, but an approved ESTA does not guarantee entry into the United States. The Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officials at the port-of-entry have authority to permit or deny admission to the United States. Learn more on the CBP website.

Of course. But there is nothing else you need to apply for right?

To my knowledge there is not.

1 Like

I booked a direct flight to UK EVA Air using my account with above airline.
Without warning they have re-scheduled flight for 7 days later :triumph:
I have found a sooner flight via Singapore for earlier date I had plans for BUT Eva want a 6000ntd refund fee this is extortion
Q: Has anyone appealed to them before on a full refund as they change flight dates without consultation with the flyer.

Airlines never consult with the passengers before they reschedule flights. There are any number of reasons they might reschedule, and the outbreak situation could easily be one.

You can contact the airline, explain your situation and ask nicely for the fee to be waived (or for them to see if they can help you book an earlier flight on a partner airline), but unless you purchased a refundable ticket, it will be at their discretion.

1 Like

Thanks
I shall visit their offices today and try nicely in person.
Iā€™m not good on the phone a little bit impatient especially if Iā€™ve had to wait for call connection and get correct department/person to talk to.

Not sure if showing up at their offices in the middle of an outbreak is a good approach, but you do you.

EVAā€™s customer service is the worst. I booked a flight with them last year which was cancelled (and about half-a-dozen others which were also cancelled, and refunded without incident). EVA, so far, is the only one that refused a refund. I had to threaten them with a credit-card chargeback and they have now agreed to a refund ā€¦ but Iā€™m still waiting.

2 Likes

Check your rights under UK law and if UK law applies to a flight going to the UK.

Also check with your credit card company assuming you did not pay in cash

How many days before the intended flight, did they reschedule? Hours or days before?

21 days

Yes I agree during pandemic visit is probably not the best idea, as Iā€™m not using Metro and donā€™t fancy cycling to in this rain.

I did pay by credit card.

Last year I booked a flight to Toronto on Emirates, and as soon as I accepted the offer where I am currently working, I was able to cancel my flight online. I booked it online and payed for it with my credit card. So yes, I was fortunate to get the full 100% refund.
This makes me wonder whether or not I should book with Emirates again and connect through Dubai, rather than go directly to Toronto on Eva.

A direct flight would be preferable from an infection risk perspective. Not sure if China Airlines flies direct, but worthwhile checking. I have the impression that China Airlines cancels less than EVA Air

1 Like

Happy days maybe.

I called and they said they will give full refund - I had to request refund through web site all looking good.

OK I cancelled my flight with Emirates as UAE is on UK red light zone so transfer from Dubai would mean 10 days Government hotel quarantine.

So book through EVA Direct to UK, however they re schedule that makes it almost impossible for me to do.

I now found a Flight to UK via Singapore on UK Green light, I still have to do Orange light and home quarantine as coming from Taiwan.

Try Singapore Airlines. My flight is 10000ntd less than my direct by EVA.

1 Like

I thought that China Airlines suspended all flights to North America. In fact they donā€™t give direct flights to Toronto, only Vancouver.

1 Like

Iā€™m weighing going back to the US until October or so. But I just arrived in April and did the quarantine etc so I kinda hate toā€¦

Thereā€™s a chance weā€™ll go back to level 2 on June 14 and maybe I could start socializing a bit

Iā€™ve thought about driving along the north/east coasts and sightseeing, but weather isnā€™t cooperating

Rainy season + Covid kinda kills everything there is to do

Anyone have thoughts on whether itā€™s worth staying in Taiwan during the rainy season? How many decent days do we get per week? Iā€™m mainly looking to hike, bike, general sightseeing

(Iā€™m not personally worried about Covid as I was vaccinated already, and the case counts are still super low)

also considering it and wondering what other peopleā€™s thoughts are on this. I doubt june 14. but do we see ourselves being in level 3 until september?

I would hope we stay in level 3 until the outbreak is over. And as this is not going to happen quickly, it might last quite some time.

Going to level 4 would have done the trick quicker, but as there is no appetite to do this in the government it looks like a long level 3.

However, the rain will soon stop in the North. So no reason to leave because of the rain. And if you are already vaccinated, another reason less to leave