Extra extra! New scandal! They're NOT Canadian!

Someone in the pub last night told me that - taking inflation into account - it would have to be at least half a million nt a gram.

High stakes. No wonder the cops had their guns drawn.

Yup. Sounds right. The times I have seen suspects (not even charged) on Taiwan TV, under spotlights filmed, I have thought, Jeeesus, these guys haven’t even been charged yet and they are guilty. Maybe they are but due process of law in Taiwan? Hahahahahahahahhhhaaaaaaaa.

Maybe this whole thread is untrue and it is hard to get the truth on the net but I would believe that innocent foreigners could be arrested without grounds and held for three days then deported.

Why? I had a run in with a gangster, two years ago, who cut me off on the road, spat binlang at me, hit my car with a baseball bat and I GOT IT ALL ON FILM and went to the coppers here, laid charges, guess what? Yup, sod all. The police here look after their own. Sod this place.

[quote=“Infidel”][quote=“Fortigurn”]So the police randomly arrested two foreign guys sitting in the park who were doing nothing, who didn’t know the guy who came along later, and were just minding their own business doing whatever, and shortly after this other guy came along and the cops decided ‘Hey, we’ll arrest you too for no reason’, and then decided to search this one guy’s house randomly (also for no reason), and happened to stumble across some drugs they never expected to find there.

Do I have it right? I’d like to be sure on this.[/quote]

That sounds like an entirely plausible scenario to me. Seriously.[/quote]

Guilt by association?!?! :noway: Never heard of it. Certainly not in this up-right bastion of corruption free democracy.

(not picking on you infidel :slight_smile: )

According to the original report, it wasn’t the cops. It was the coastguard, away from their usual beat and presumably therefore involved in some proper detective work instead of harassing innocent yachties like they usually do.

Anyway, it was a long time ago and I’m curious about the outcome. The endings of stories never seem to get reported. Did he get away with it? Deported? Shot in the back of the head, or what?

[quote=“cfimages”]Just came across this while looking for something else.

[quote]Three foreigners were arrested in the middle of a narcotics deal in Taipei on Tuesday, with one British man allegedly being involved in a much larger operation, the Cabinet-level Coast Guard Administration disclosed on Wednesday.

The 27-year-old Londoner, named Jamie, was caught selling two grams of hash to a 30-year-old American called Jones and a 27-year-old New Zealander named Michael at around 8 p.m. on Tuesday in a Taipei city park, the CGA noted in a press release.

The CGA, cooperating with police led by Taipei prosecutors, later seized 220 grams of prime hash and 1610 grams of marijuana in Jamie’s apartment. The marijuana could be used to produce around 5,000 marijuana joints, and could “harm” 500 people, the CGA estimated.

Police noted that Jamie has no job in Taiwan and has overstayed his visa by two years, while Jones and Michael work as English teachers.
Taiwan classifies narcotics into three classes, and marijuana is listed as a class two narcotic. According to the Law for the Control of Narcotics, those who sell class two narcotics face a maximum NT$7 million fine and a minimum seven-year jail sentence, while the penalty for using class two narcotics is a maximum three-year jail sentence.[/quote]

http://www.taiwannews.com.tw/etn/news_content.php?id=403271&lang=eng_news&cate_img=49.jpg&cate_rss=news_Society_TAIWAN[/quote]

Funny story about the coast guard. .

My friend “P” was going up and down the coast looking for good spots to windsurf. The Coast Guard was watching him while he looked around, wondering what he was doing driving up to different parts of the coast and holding up this small device (a hand-held anemometer) and then driving to a new location to repeat the act. While doing this he got a strong urge for No. 2 and got behind a bush to relieve himself. When he was done he got in his car and begabn to drive off. At this point the Coast Guard comes screaming down the road to a skidding stop. Both Coast Guard jumped out of the truck and ran behind the bush.

One stepped right in it. :bravo: Doh!