Eyebrow-raising white powders in luggage

So my checked luggage will have a variety of questionable white powders. Some benign, some quite toxic, but none forbidden. I do not need five pounds, so if I transfer it from its original package to a baggie or plastic canister and label it, will that suffice? It would be very bad for some curious customs agent to open it and sniff it, or worse, rub it on his gums like they they do in Hollywood. Will they take my word for it if I tape a MSDS or hazmat label on it?

If worse comes to worse they will do a field test on it like in that border patrol show. What are you worried about?

Confiscation. It would be expensive to replace it all

I think it’s only a concern if you’ve shoved the powders up your ass or they alert the snitch beagle, which they won’t as they aren’t actually banned substances.

If I were you I’d just label them and be cool.

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl:

I guess you’ll be ok if you’re sure the powders aren’t prohibited (it isn’t illegal to carry white powders…just possibly suspicious - so what can they do?).

It would obviously make sense to ensure that everything is packed securely though, e.g., in double bags inside solid containers or whatever, and properly labelled with the names of the chemicals and hazards (not least for the benefit of anyone who does come into contact with it). Proof of the nature of the powders and purchase receipts presumably wouldn’t hurt, either.

I can’t imagine that airport staff have too many analytical techniques at their immediate disposal, besides using automated GC-MS or IMS or whatever to confirm that suspicious powders aren’t the relatively small number of drugs or explosives they’re looking for - they almost certainly won’t be able to confirm on the spot that the powders are or aren’t what you’re claiming them to be. By which I mean that as much evidence as possible would seem wise. I assume if they incorrectly confiscate something they would return it after analysis elsewhere, but who knows.

How was Bolivia, by the way?

If they are suspicious (unlikely if you are open about it) they’ll take a sample and do a quick strip or colorimetric test for presence of drugs. Doing the right thing bringing an msds or ingredients list.
Likely that’s the end of it.

2 Likes

Can you be more specific?

Why transport toxic powders in your luggage? If it’s not illegal in Taiwan it should be available for purchase here. If it is toxic the issue may be with an airline not allowing it to be transported in luggage rather than customs.

From here. Most countries will have similar regulations.

3 Likes

Just to be on the safe side, I would divide up the powders into small quantities and wrap tightly in many little balloons.

5 Likes

Is the powder hazardous or oxidizing?

If you’re thinking to bring pyro chemicals into Taiwan, there is no need. Most are cheaply available in Taiwan. If it’s metal powder then there is no way anyone is going to think they’re drugs.

But most of all are these powders hazardous? Does it include things like cyanide, which may be prohibited in Taiwan (they’re used for gold refining, but honestly there are other much less toxic stuff for this, and not to mention it’s far too easy to accidentally contaminate food with it so there’s no need to use them). Keep in mind there is a limit of 25kg for potassium chlorate and perchlorate for individual possession, so don’t go bringing 50lbs of them.

I would just mail them and include MSDS in each bottle. If you mail them mail them by sea. Do not do it by air.

… and conceal them somewhere about your person? :slight_smile:

Bring a data sheet, and you really shouldn’t have any problem. I carried 20kg of “suspicious white powder” (anionic polyacrylamide) in my luggage once and nobody even noticed.

1 Like

This is what you say to them.

plata o plomo

1 Like

At least check the UN number. Or better mark the bags with the UN number.

" UN numbers or UN IDs are four-digit numbers that identify dangerous goods, hazardous substances and articles (such as explosives, flammable liquids, toxic substances, etc.) in the framework of international transport. They are assigned by the United Nations Committee of Experts on the Transport of Dangerous Goods."

1 Like

My brother-in-law works for a firm that manufactures all sorts of stationary, art supplies and such. Last time I was in SA, he got me a whole pile of stuff, including play-doh, some of it white. I had it in my hand luggage. Transiting through Singapore, at the x-ray machine:
Self-important dude: Sir, did you pack this bag yourself?
Me: Nah, my mum packed it. I’m useless at packing.
Him (on his walkie-talkie): Mumble mumble blah blah.
Next thing I’m surrounded by ten cops with tasers and guns and other unidentifiable shit.
Him: Please take a step back, sir. I’m going to open your bag. (Hauls out the white play-doh). What is this, sir?
Me: It’s what it says on the container. Do you need to call a translator?
Him: No need to be funny, sir. I’m just doing my job.
He opens one, and all eleven of them peek inside and take a sniff.
(Indistinct chattering)
Puts it back in the bag. “OK. Have a nice flight, sir.”

I doubt I’ll be bringing cheap play-doh through Singapore airport again.

6 Likes

The one I’m most worried about doesn’t have a UN number. It is poison, but not hazardous. I’ll label with MSDS and call it good.
I already own the stuff and don’t want to rebuy it.
Thanks for everyone’s input

1 Like

If it’s a poison, it’s hazardous. Print a safety data sheet and have it on the container.

Is it cyanide by any chance?

I will try to use this at least once a day in various contexts.

7 Likes

You got me.
Meaning it won’t combust or corrode through the container.

It’s still hazardous.what if it breaks open and a worker inhales it? What if it contaminates the area?

If you won’t say what it is other than its poison, then I have reason to think it’s likely illegal or a narcotic.

I think you should leave it at home