EZ Way App - Customs information

I’ve submitted a complaint few days ago, no outcome yet.
It may help if they receive more signals from those who are affected.

1 Like

The purchase was made on a Taiwan eCom site, but the shipping is from overseas. I know there have been issues with non-ROC citizens registering, but others have reported on other threads that it is possible. It looks like @Marco got most of the way there. I think the purpose is to give the importer your authorization to import on your behalf as @ericinformosa said, that makes sense from this message I got. But apps update and policies change so what may have worked for him may not for others.
What worries me on Shopee and Ruten is that I can’t use my real full name. The number of characters allowed for the recipient’s name is not enough for my name. I’ve been using my transliterated name on Ruten and only my first name on Shopee. That’s good enough for most orders that arrive at 7-11 because they only check for prepaid shipments. I don’t know if that’s a factor with real name verification.
And does this count as one of my 6 under-NT$2000 imports without customs fees?

What a shitshow

Just out of interest, how long have you been in Taiwan? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

It’s a POA for your imports, no matter how expensive. You can do it in the not EZ way, just takes longer. Fax your ID and POA.

Write to the boss at Write to the Director of Immigration they will get in touch with the offending government department, at the worst you’ll get a reply saying they made a request on your behalf, best they’ll get something done. They are usually good with cases of government departments not accepting ARC numbers.

It looks like in some cases it’s required, at least by some sellers.

This has already been discussed in the “What places don’t take ARCs” thread, so if nothing has been done yet, I wouldn’t expect much.

Did you contact them?

I did it last week.
They’ve only provided the customs contacts.

1 Like

I didn’t because I didn’t expect much.

Not sure if this helps or not. I registered for EZ Way using my Chinese name, with my ARC as supporting document (which contains my English name, Chinese name, and address and is TW government-issued). The process was smooth and, when required, now takes only a few steps (less than a minute) per delivery.

3 Likes

So you’ve ticked “I’m Taiwan citizen” ?

1 Like

I think someone else said they first registered with a Chinese name. But you say your ARC has your Chinese name? I think mine doesn’t. Does it let you enter an English name?

Thanks.
Were you able to proceed with that “real name authentication” then?

You can enter an English name, but I purposely didn’t. That seemed to be the trick. Originally I tried my (real) English name with passport as supporting document. No good. I thought our ARCs all include Chinese names (needed for bank accounts, drivers licenses, etc.).

At that time, yes. I am not sure if that still works or not.

I’m pretty sure mine doesn’t, and neither does my bank account. Is it a transliteration of your English name or did you just use a Chinese name? Do you have to have some documentation that it is your Chinese name?

I guess a better question would be can you use both a Chinese and an English name.

1. Times have changed. I was required to have a Chinese name to get a bank account and, thus, get paid. Now my driver’s license, lease, Masters and PhD diplomas, assistant professor’s certificate, work contract, MOST account, and many other official documents are all in Chinese.

2. I think having an English name, in addition to or instead of a Chinese name, is actually prefered for non-citizens.

3. I may have been “grandfathered in” by applying a couple of years ago, if changes have been made.

1 Like

When did the time change? I first came to Taiwan 17 years ago, though I’ve left a couple of times. Since my first year here I’ve had an ARC, bank account, rental contract, and work contract all in my English name. My first bank was First Bank (yeah, I hear it). I still have that account so I’m sure it was in my English name. I’ve opened 4 or 5 bank accounts over the years, all in my English name. I don’t have an never have had a Chinese name, except transliterated on Ruten. I’ve read on this forum for years about how a Chinese name is needed for this or that, but it’s never been true for me.
I actually wouldn’t mind having a Chinese name on my ARC.

2 Likes