EZ Way App - Customs information

Good question. My first job required an account at 彰化銀行 (Chang-hua Bank). As far as I was told, I needed a Chinese name and chop to apply (circa 2003). I had very limited Chinese at that point, but took them at their word.

I currently have a Taiwan Post Office account for banking. A chop is also required to confirm my identity if I use want to withdraw funds using my bank “book” which contains my Chinese name and stamp.

I think the “official” Chinese name on the AR(P)C is another type of identity verification. It has advantages, in my experience. As posted on Forumosa, the “tourist” vs. “resident” issue can be more quickly resolved by having a Chinese name. It’s also more “trusted” for local official business (eg. stamp for lease agreements).

Congrats on getting by so long without the need for a Chinese name/chop. In academics and business (公文等等) I’ve just, personally, found a Chinese name/chop as both expected and expedient.

1 Like

I think I had an account at Chang-hua around 2005 with no Chinese name. I opened an account at the post office around that time for another job. I never used a Chinese name for either.

How do you make your Chinese name official? Do you just write it on your ARC form an that’s it? I’ve heard tell of chops needing to be registered, is that a thing?

Just pick one or have one picked for you by a Fengshui master. You go to the Hukou place and tell them your Chinese name to be put on it. (If you’re not happy with it you can change your Chinese family (surname) name one time. First name in Chinese you can change whenever you think it brought you bad luck).
After that go to the immigration office to get your ARC changed, now you can go everywhere they want to know you have a Chinese name, banks, phone company, drivers license …

Currently, I just fill it in on my ARC application ( there’s a section for Chinese name). However, I’ve been doing so for years, so can’t remember if they needed corroborating evidence in the past. Same with my address in Chinese, forget if they need to see your lease contact or not.

That’s not a thing for me. I’m just thinking of when I apply for my next ARC. I’m not a citizen.

Maybe I’ll try that when I apply for my next ARC. I have a sort-of Chinese name. There’s a clue in my username. I’ve been told it’s not a good name, but I like it.

1 Like

You just give your name in Chinese when you apply for an ARC. You need to have an address right? You just go to the place where you register your address and give your Chinese name.

1 Like

You need a chinese name for a license?

You can, I have. If your Chinese name is on the ARC you can use your Chinese name on your license, vehicle tax and insurance.

2 Likes

Back in the day, when I got my scooter license, I believe Chinese was the only option. Well, it’s what’s on there now (along with taxes, registration, fines :imp:). Could be due to the need for a chop (or red thumbprint, I guess) to legally process everything.

Huh? You mean when one applies for an ARC? The immigration agency? I have always brought my rental contract. That has my English name on it. If you can just make up a Chinese name and write it on an ARC application that would be great. I could have a different one each year.

Not really.

BTW, what makes your rental contract official? You can make up any rental contract.

I solved my problem. Physically showing up at UPS.

3 Likes

Not really a different one each year or not really just make one up.

Umm…You live or have lived in Taiwan, right? You can buy a rental contract at any stationary store, I think at 7-11 too. You just fill in the blanks and it’s a rental contract. No stamps, no official registration. There’s usually 2 and you get one and the landlord gets one, signatures on both. I guess the signatures make it official. I’ve done that every year at every apartment I’ve ever lived in and I’ve used it when I apply for an ARC at least a dozen times.

小熱粉? :grin:

You just make up a name and have it put on your ARC.

1 Like

Help!

Anyone in Xindian vicinity can help me register? I offer a nice huo guo meal in return. :sob:

I have a Friggin iHerb package at customs. They charge 200 NTD per day in hold. :rant:

Who is the courier? You can insist that the courier use the traditional paper form if you don’t want to deal with this app.

I have a taobao package still stuck even though I already did the ez way thing.

DHL. I’ll talk to them tomorrow.

Whoever designs those apps should be hanged by a very tender spot…

Most appreciative for the help.

1 Like

Did you go over the 2000 limit?