EZ Way App - Customs information

My stuff was 1927 NTD. Close to the edge.

I had 3 deliveries from abroad, including masks way in January.

What is this EZ Way thing?
Why is that related to packages suck at customs?
Can it be connect to a package a friend sent me (through regular mail) from bank home in February and that haven’t arrived yet?

It’s a “brilliant” /s way to make customs processing easier by you turning over a copy of your Personal ID to some non-government entity where it is hosted on a server somewhere with unknown security and authorizing this third party to act on your behalf to process the customs papers for you. Couriers all over Taiwan are now trying to switch to this platform because they don’t want to deal with the customs forms, but they can if you insist.

4 Likes

I found DHL Taiwan so rude, just the worst. I always go with SF when ordering iHerb, no EZWay, just shows up at my doorstep. Have DHL actually called you or did you just get all the generic warning emails? This is the first I heard of someone having to register when having a parcel under the limit.

1 Like

Generic. Waiting to speak to a human being.

I registered a day ago and received an email saying that it was successful… but when I try to enter the 實名委任 area, it borks:

It’s telling me to click on “update information,” and then click “electronic verification”… But there’s no option for that!!

Sigh…

How did other people figure this out?

It’s not really the amount per parcel but rather the frequency/quantity of buying in a year.

You think they are tracking everyone’s total number of parcels from all couriers? That would require some pretty serious IT investment!

Yes, and they ask bigger online retailers abroad to keep an eye on taxes when shipping to Taiwan.

Update: I tried to speak to their customer service… and they officially do not support foreigners.

公司戶電話、預付卡、外籍人士無法進行認證

I feel like the kid who didn’t get picked to join the losing baseball team.

3 Likes

Anyone had any luck with this app recently? I bought something from Taobao and it said I was required to use it. I signed up, uploaded IDs and everything with no problem. No “real name verification” as usual. But there is an “Appointment” button which appears to allow you to create a power of attorney. I haven’t got that far because I don’t have the HAWB number. Does that allow you to send it directly to the shipper?
I think I’m not going to find out because it looks like SF Express is not on the list. I don’t know if that means they don’t use EZ Way or it only works with name verification.
Usually I get packages from SF under $2k with no problem, so maybe that will happen again.

I’m also bothered that I’m walking around with this app in my pocket that has visible copies of my ARC. What if I lose my phone?

1 Like

The power of attorney makes it easy when using the same shipper/courier regularly.

What if you lose your wallet, including ARC?

What if I’m kidnapped and they get my actual face? Better to reduce things to lose than increase them.

1 Like

No need to worry about that. Criminals already have all your data.

That’s the hukou office database, right? I don’t think foreigners would be in that. Not unless they are citizens or married.

1 Like

Yeah, I think so - I wondered about that as well a couple of months ago when the news came out. One of the rare times that having an incompatible number has come in useful haha

1 Like

I have ARC by marriage, so I guess my details were part of that hack.

I’m having fits with this process at the moment. I made a few Ebay purchases in June which have been sitting on a shelf in Chicago O’Hare for almost three weeks.
I guess Ebay hands off the international leg of the shipping to SF Express, and SF Express has been considerably less than useless in helping me speed things along.
Has there been some new change /update in the EZ Way app that I’m not aware of?
which of the screens in the app indicates SF Express? Seems they’re not listed.
Somebody please text back before I begin breaking things around the house.
I’m really frustrated and don’t know what to do.

For foreigners, the app seems to be different. Since we can’t use real name verification, we can only submit whatever needed forms to the shipper. SF Express isn’t one of the options available. I’ve got a package sitting somewhere in China. I consider it lost.