F-16 crash in Hualien?

The US would be involved as well.

There are so many RADARs in the region. You can’t just traverse the strait without being seen.

Give it a week or so. They will find wrekage.

They’ve grounded all 150 F16s now for safety checks.

Jesus I hope we don’t have to rely on the IDFs to defend the island.

Wasn’t there a problem with F16s losing control because the wires were chafing against the airframe and thus suffers a complete loss of control.

Do you think perhaps that’s what happened?

There’s no freaking way anyone can just fly F16’s to China from Hualien on afterburners. F16’s are LOUD and there would be witnesses who hears the noise.

Only way to do this is land on a carrier in the pacific, but then the F16 would have to be fitted with an arrestor hook. I’m pretty sure nobody will fit a F16 on a training mission with arrestor hook unless it took off from a carrier. And you can’t do a belly landing on water with F16 because even at stall speed it’s going to hit the water fast enough to destroy it.

Almost anytime a fighter aircraft goes into the ground or water without any communications or ejection seat attempt, it’s due to operator error either of disorientation or possibly a medical condition causing black out like a heart attack or something.

Mechanical failure the pilot will always immediately attempt some type of communication. Even if just clicking the mic but not speaking at least try to it’s like an immediate finger reaction.

If he is trying to recover then the radar will show the obvious the attempt.

If they know they’ve lost control and they’re going to crash then they pull the ejection seat.

I just saw a news saying they detected the F16’s black box signals.

So definitely crashed

There are also some mirage. Anyway they will surely be grounded ‘at their stations’.

1 Like

Germany, Japan…any country that wasn’t the USSR in the Cold War haven’t really had to worry about any branch of its military being up to scuff cuz 'murica’ll protect 'em!

I think the case with Germany is, that the war is still remembered very actively. The whole concept is “never again” and having been a militaristic nation during the Kaiserreich and the 3rd Reich left not few germans with the opinion that anything military is to meet with distrust.

I can recommend “Germany, Memories of a Nation” by Neil MacGregor. It explains the whole deal really good.

4 Likes

I think this is right. During peaceful times this is a good mentality. If trouble starts in Europe they need to get their act together because the EU cannot rely on France alone.

Germany knows that. Yet there’s still a lot of distrust and it has a constitution, that makes it real hard to “just send the troops”.

2 Likes

So what the hell is happening with the F16 crash?

Last I heard is they found the black box. That was over a week ago.

Now there’s complete media blackout on it.

Do you think he really defected and they are keeping it secret?

Or it was aliens?

1 Like

Defected but intercepted by aliens.

And the box by the way isn’t black.

Basically just waiting for the weather to improve in order to salvage. It’s a kilometer deep, so not an easy task. Strong currents too.

2 Likes

I have no idea of the seas around Taiwan but I keep hearing people say that there’s a window of a few days a year (really twice a year) where invasion can happen because the seas around Taiwan is very rough. So I imagine this isn’t good for search and rescue?

How do cargo ships get in then?

Remember that busload of tourists fell off the cliff between Hualien and Suao a few years back? They never did reach the bus.

Just too deep.

Cargo ships aren’t unloading at sea.

1 Like

An interesting perspective of ocean depths around Taiwan.

2 Likes

:thinking:

wait, what?!
That is horrific!
When did that happen?

Around 2010. Too deep to even locate bus.

Here’s a lead. Probably more info somewhere.