F-16 crash in Hualien?

The tourists were from the PRC. Some mention of this horrible accident are in this 2010 report:

Guy

East coast highway’s 112.8km marker.

I’ve been to the spot taking a look and had it marked on my maps but can’t find it right now. It’s a sheer drop off.

Similar situation as the Canadian that disappeared at Qingshui cliff. Deep waters.

Terrible stuff.

Just to be clear: the article linked above by Liberty is from October 2010.

Guy

So basically the ground just drops into the water to abysmal depths? No continential shelf or anything, just above water to 1000 meters under water within a few hundred meters?

If that’s where the F16 ended up… there’s no getting it back anytime soon.

Can check Google Maps terrain view that shows ocean depths.

One of the sheerest deepest drop offs from a land mass in the world.

F-16’s are worthless planes. Mishaps with Belgian Airforce F-16’s over the years.

Except Taiwan is paying the cost of F35’s but getting F16’s.

Of course with all the American military “experts” who keeps telling Taiwan that China is so much more powerful to get Taiwan to pay protection money.

The weapon systems the US sells to Taiwan is worthless but the money ensures America will protect Taiwan.

Bullshit. Without those weapon systems there wouldn’t be a Taiwan or Forumosa to post on.

1 Like

If only taiwan was a manufacturing oriented country…then we could show them!

1 Like

There won’t be anything for America to help protect if Taiwan is totally unable to defend itself.

1 Like

Maybe the F16 crashed because a flap was held on with a piece of 100mph tape, and it fell off?

Considering that Taiwan exports machine tools why can’t they manufacture some of the parts themselves?

1. Because they are not permitted to do so by the manufacturer and most likely that’s made quite clear in the contract.

2. Because aircraft parts are not trivial to manufacture.

1 Like

I want to see Taiwan build a plane similar the growler. A fast intercept plane.

Basically a F16 but made in Taiwan. The planes only need a 500mile operation range.

1 Like

The real issue is lack of investment into the military in general because KMT neutered the military and DPP doesn’t care either.

???

The Growler is an electronic warfare version of the FA-18. Carrier launched. mostly used for radar jamming to screen attack planes, so it needs a long dwell time and so a 500 mile range is useless. Anyway, for the kind of defence activity that Taiwan would need a Growler for, you could do all that off Taiwanese mountain tops. So no need for a plane.

the Taiwanese air force needs some F-15E. now THAT’S a plane.

and 1,000 F-22s. That is also one hell of a plane! but they’re not making any more, and they were only ever intended for USA-only operation.

3 Likes

Yes there are a whole airforce stationed in Guam and Okinawa.

I guess my point was kind of lost. Taiwan needs to builds its relationships with the west. That is is best defensive position.

Also the biggest risk to Taiwan in the next decade is a political takeover. So it’s up to the population to ensure that they do not vote in a party sympathetic to China.

1 Like

That was exactly my point…taiwan should develope some nice stuff and roll em out en masse

Taiwan just needs tonnes and tonnes of mobile launched missiles and bigger and more capable drones to back up it’s jets.

Taiwan should also take special care of capitation attacks so have depth in their leadership preparedness.

3 Likes