Famous songs people think are from someone else

Today I found out that a song that I enjoyed for a while was not originally composed for the artist I assumed was the author.
The song is “Smile” which I always thought it was composed by Nat King Cole:

And it was later recorded by the King of the Pop, Michael Jackson:

When, in fact, it was originally composed by no other than Charles Chaplin!

It made me think that’s probably not the only instance of famous songs people think are from someone else.

Do you guys know other occurrences?

6 Likes

A lot of people think this is a Brothers Johnson song:

When actually it’s a Shuggie Otis song:

1 Like

turns out Santana did NOT write this song. It was written by Peter Green of FLEETWOOD MAC.

2 Likes

Shuggie fucking rocks. Black Belt Sheriff, Destination You.

1 Like

Thought this was written by CCR but in fact is NOT, and even though Marvin Gaye claimed it he didn’t write it either.

2 Likes

Yesh well we all knew that already. Here’s another Peter Green song. Man these gurls can rock.

3 Likes

The CCR version is awesome, but that’s really hard to believe…

1 Like

Thought Julio kept the fame going for this song but Patsy Cline wrote it…nope Willie Nelson did.

1 Like

It don’t get any better than that CCR version. It’s like intensity in ten cities…

3 Likes

the younger set thinks Mariah Carey wrote this song but no

not him either but

BADFINGER

1 Like

Yesterday, some people on my mate’s Facebook were discussing the 1960s teen pop hit “Shout” by Lulu:

None of them knew that it was originally a 1950s rock & roll song by the Isley Brothers:

Lulu’s version is still popular in the UK, so I’m guessing this sad state of affairs is reflective of most of the population.

1 Like

It’s my favorite version (that guitar too!), but imagine thinking it was their song.

1 Like

Empire State of Mind.

Pretty much everything by Led Zep?

1 Like

Pretty much. Except Kashmir. Which I hate. Especially when played by ICRT Terry. :sweat_smile:

Kashmir is brilliant. You need professional help.

2 Likes

I know. Kashmir and Layla. I can’t abear them.

1 Like

I always thought Nancy Sinatra was original for Summer Wine, heard this fantastic cover:

That made me look up original and found was this;

1 Like

Suck on this

1 Like

It sounds better when you don’t listen to it on ICRT.