Famous US athlete indicted for dog fighting

[quote=“R. Daneel Olivaw”]Aw, come on. Let’s give him a chance to have a trial before we start deciding what factors led up to his depravity.

Everyone was all on about how Kobe had committed rape. Then it was pretty well shown that it was a false accusation. Rich and famous people are often the targets of individuals and even career-minded law enforcement agents.[/quote]

Yea, yea, innocent until proven guilty and all that but authorities raided his property seized 66 dogs, including 55 pit bulls, and equipment commonly used in dogfighting, and claim they property has been used to stage numerous dog fights since 2001 with gambling and dogs being shipped in for the fights from various states and Vick claims. . . .

. . . he was rarely at the house, had no idea it may have been used in a criminal enterprise and blamed family members for taking advantage of his generosity. Yea, right.

:angel:

Sickening sickening. This guy must suffer for his mental illness. Plse help and sign petition.

The abuses described in the indictment are almost beyond belief, and include a report of Vick being consulted before the execution of the losing dog “by wetting the dog down with water and electrocuting the animal.”

The indictment also describes “the execution of approximately eight dogs that did not perform well in “testing” sessions … by methods including hanging, drowning and slamming at least one dog’s body to the ground.”

thepetitionsite.com/takeacti … 0m=9447765

The NFL said he wasn’t a repeat offender.

Is petition netspeak for lynchmob?

[quote=“jdsmith”]

[quote]

And this is supposed to be an excuse ?

Lynchmob :unamused: ? I m not pointing a gun at his head.

But for sure the power of people putting pressure by signing a petition is a counterbalance for this guy having enough money to get good lawyers and weep about his background

Sorry if you don t understand that some people want to make their voices heard for some innocent victims who cannot even speak out

I suppose I should add that I mean in the sense that most dogs who have been turned into vicious fighting machines are usually euthanized.

[quote][quote=“SHARLEE”][quote=“jdsmith”]

No, but the NFL seems now to be saying that the trial, if any, should first run its course. Innocent until proven guilty and all that…

No, you are just trying to oraganize a mob to get him fired or suspended before he is taken to trial.

Power to the people! Why not just put pressure on the expensive defense lawyers and force Vick to shop at the WalMArt LAwyers.

Nah, this is vengence. The deal has been done. There aren’t any dogs to save here. Or are you petitioners trying to make this a focal point for dogfight fighters?

[quote]
I suppose I should add that I mean in the sense that most dogs who have been turned into vicious fighting machines are usually euthanized.[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]
Geez, I hope you don’t feel the same way about stud farms. :astonished:

[quote=“jdsmith”][quote=“SHARLEE”][quote=“jdsmith”]
The NFL said he wasn’t a repeat offender.[/quote]
And this is supposed to be an excuse ?[/quote]
No, but the NFL seems now to be saying that the trial, if any, should first run its course. Innocent until proven guilty and all that…[/quote]

If any” ??? :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: One more reason to sign the petition… I think MT said it best: [quote=“MT”]Yea, yea, innocent until proven guilty and all that but authorities raided his property seized 66 dogs, including 55 pit bulls, and equipment commonly used in dogfighting, and claim they property has been used to stage numerous dog fights since 2001 with gambling and dogs being shipped in for the fights from various states and Vick claims. . . .

. . . he was rarely at the house, had no idea it may have been used in a criminal enterprise and blamed family members for taking advantage of his generosity. Yea, right.[/quote]

No, you are just trying to oraganize a mob to get him fired or suspended before he is taken to trial.[/quote]

Only an idiot would believe that this guys had 55 Pitt Bulls in his house without being involved with this in one way or another, and being involved is criminal.

Power to the people! Why not just put pressure on the expensive defense lawyers and force Vick to shop at the WalMArt LAwyers.[/quote]That’s irrelevant and idiotic sarcasm. The point is simply that his money could very well buy him a way out of this, or at least get away with minimal charges which is probably what’s going to happen. I agree with SHARLEE, some balance is called for.

Nah, this is vengence. The deal has been done. There aren’t any dogs to save here. Or are you petitioners trying to make this a focal point for dogfight fighters?
[/quote]You should think before you type. There are a lot more dogs to be saved here, if only this asshole can be made into an example of how the legal system treat those who are involved with brutalizing animals.

Besides, there is nothing illegal about starting a petition. It’s merely a way for people to have a say. Innocent until proven guilty and all? Fair enough, but what about freedom of speech and all?

Instead of bitching regarding an animal abuser’s rights, why don’t you bitch about your own right to speak freely and to associate with those who have similar opinions as yours? It’s kind of weird that you would speak out for the rights of an animal abuser all the while you disregard the rights of those who exercise their rights to speak freely via a petition.

But whatever… I do not expect anymore than that from you.

I would think Vick should be concerned about learning a new position. I don’t think it is easy to move from QB to Tight End.

[quote]
No, but the NFL seems now to be saying that the trial, if any, should first run its course. Innocent until proven guilty and all that…[/quote]

In this case, you seem to support this innocent until proven guilty. Does this apply to Gitmo ??? :smiling_imp:

ok back to topic
I would certainly hope there is a trial. Or would you like this thing to happen again if unpunished ???Is that what you support ?
You are free not to sign, you are also free to think it doesn t help. But as Bobepine said, let the people use their freedom of speech. This is not going to kill him.

[quote]
Why not just put pressure on the expensive defense lawyers and force Vick to shop at the WalMArt LAwyers.[/quote]
But of course. Do you think they would refuse good bucks ???

Power to the people, and above all power to the victims.I am on the side of the victims and will never have a tear for this guy or whoever else was with him

[quote][quote=“SHARLEE”][quote]

In this case, you seem to support this innocent until proven guilty. Does this apply to Gitmo ??? :smiling_imp: [/quote]
Nope. GITMO and those incarcerated there are a completely different story. But yes, of course the guy is given the LEGAL benefit of the doubt. As one can see by bobepine’s spinning head and frothing lips, public opinion seems to have been made already. I guess I don’t have an opinion yet, not due to lack of evidence of any belief that his rich lawyers won’t win, but more because, it’s a big world, and this man and his crimes are fairly insignificant…to me and my world at ant rate.

[quote]ok back to topic
I would certainly hope there is a trial. Or would you like this thing to happen again if unpunished ???Is that what you support ?[/quote]
Oh no. I think he should go to trial. The evidence seems overwhelmingly against him.

[quote]You are free not to sign, you are also free to think it doesn t help. But as Bobepine said, let the people use their freedom of speech. This is not going to kill him.
[/quote]
I appreciate that, seriously. I won’t sign it because, like I stated before, it’s not like he STILL has dogs that are in danger. And I hate jumping on bandwagons. (I will have you know that I did sign the using dogs as shark bait peitition. :wink:)

[quote][quote]
Why not just put pressure on the expensive defense lawyers and force Vick to shop at the WalMArt LAwyers.[/quote]
But of course. Do you think they would refuse good bucks ???
[/quote]
Well, you’re right. The big time lawyers would LOVE it if people hated them too. All that free advertising. :laughing:

I never had any feelings for Mr Vick before, and it is highly doubtful that I will ever have any feeling for him, trial or no trial, conviction or acquital.

It is good that the dogs are now out of harm’s way.

And Welcome back sharlee. :rainbow:

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]

Not really. I don’t feel the least bit sorry for him. He appears to be a cruel, insensitive asshole who has committed terrible crimes, causing immense suffering. But I’m trying to understand who he is and why he might have committed such stupid and terrible acts.[/quote] I think you know that I don’t think of compassion as “feeling sorry” for someone.

[quote]No, you’re twisting it around backwards. I’m not saying all who come from A become B. I’m saying it helps to understand why he is B, because he came from A.[/quote]But that’s not how it came across. HGC and Funk 500 even pointed that out, and I know they could give a rat’s ass about race/background/class structure.

[quote]Would you be surprised to learn that a rapist or pedophile had been molested as a child? [/quote] No

[quote]Would you be surprised to learn that an abusive husband had an abusive father? [/quote] No

[quote]Or an alcoholic came from a family of substance abusers? [/quote] Got one in the family
so no

[quote] But it’s not surprising to learn that one who commits those acts grew up with them in his/her childhood. There is a link. [/quote] But until you were pressed for links, you just spouted the ‘liberal’ :boo-hoo: case of “he grew up in a low income situation and therefore he’s xyz

[quote]
Likewise, it’s not surprising that a rich and famous guy who seems to have it all, but ends up blowing it all because it turns out he’s totally cruel and violent and is committing terrible felonies that cause immense pain and suffering, started out life in such crappy circumstances. Perhaps some of his friends or siblings broke free, but it does help explain who he is and why he did what he did. That’s all.[/quote]

Why would you think he had it all because he’s rich and famous? That’s a sad belief to have to begin with…

[quote=“jdsmith”]this man and his crimes are fairly insignificant…to me and my world at any rate.
[/quote]

So… dogfighting, and killing dogs who can’t win fights via hanging, drowning, electrocuting and slamming them to the ground are insignificant crimes?
WTF?

What a sad world we live in when innocent living beings are treated like this, but somehow, to some people, it’s insignificant. :frowning:

I’d like to say that you are trolling, but sadly, I don’t think you are…

This is what a Pit Bull looks like:

And this is not:

:nsfw:
[color=red]Warning[/color]
: Gruesome pictures :nsfw:

i10.photobucket.com/albums/a111/ … itBull.jpg

i10.photobucket.com/albums/a111/ … tBull2.jpg

i10.photobucket.com/albums/a111/ … tBull3.jpg

i10.photobucket.com/albums/a111/ … tBull4.jpg

And as for killing dogs by “hanging” here’s one: (Warning…)

i10.photobucket.com/albums/a111/ … tBull5.jpg

One would go to prison for a long long time for doing this to a person… Sure they are “just dogs” but to say that it’s insignificant “in the big picture” is incredibly wrong to say the least. :frowning:

Here we go again…

Bobepine, why is it not insignificant? Some people love dogs. Seeing them harmed is not insignificant at all. Others just don’t really care one way or another about dogs. To them it could well be insignificant. Still others might absolutely HATE dogs and wish them wiped off the face of the earth. To them it would be a positive boon. They’re all valid opinions.
If its not significant to JD, then its not. If it is significant to you, then it is.
I, for example absolutely LOVE stag beetles and those emerald green scarab beetles and feel a pang when I find a dead one, but I fully realise that not everyone shares my feelings. I don’t consider such people to be nasty unfeeling fuckers at all.

This sort of crime is not insignificant
As Marguerite Yourcenar wrote the worst executioners, tantalisers and killers have always got trained on animals.

Although I don t know this guy nor do I know anything about american football , it seems to me that this guy, by his fame, is a role model for many children. As such, a strong sign should be sent.
The danger is in his or his likes head.

[quote]
And I hate jumping on bandwagons.[/quote]
Me too, that is why I was against the war in Irak :wink:

Thank you. Probably because it happened in France. :wink:
This petition was signed by people around the world and put pressure on our government, embassies and legal system to act. That guy was not punished enough in my eyes but this problem came under scrutiny of the police and of the people living on this island. That was exactly what was needed. If there had been no petition, probably nothing would have been done. After all, it was only a dog. :frowning:

[quote]
It is good that the dogs are now out of harm’s way.[/quote]

Yes but there are others in the same situation. People doing this need to know this is illegal and should be punished

JD, thanks for the welcome.

bobepine, get the hell over yourself.

I am not losing any sleep over dead or (up until recently) suffering dogs, nor am I losing sleep over the cruelty of Mr Vick. I am keeping abreast of the story and watching the discussion, but sorry, this story, compared to what’s going on in the world just doesn’t concern, interest or affect me.

jdsowhat

Let the authorities do their job. And let’s not blow this out of proportion to what it is.

Thanks for shopping.

[quote=“jdsmith”]bobepine, get the hell over yourself.

I am not losing any sleep over dead or (up until recently) suffering dogs, nor am I losing sleep over the cruelty of Mr Vick. I am keeping abreast of the story and watching the discussion, but sorry, this story, compared to what’s going on in the world just doesn’t concern, interest or affect me.

jdsowhat

Let the authorities do their job. And let’s not blow this out of proportion to what it is.

Thanks for shopping.[/quote]

Pity :frowning:

“Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace.” - Albert Schweitzer (The Philosophy of Civilisation)

[quote=“sandman”].
I, for example absolutely LOVE stag beetles and those emerald green scarab beetles and feel a pang when I find a dead one, but I fully realise that not everyone shares my feelings. I don’t consider such people to be nasty unfeeling fuckers at all.[/quote]

In my eyes, there is a difference between finding a dead beetle and inflicting intentional pain to a living creature for money or for getting a high watching that.

But ok, i agree and understand everyone does not share the same “feelings or priorities”. Varieties of priorities is a good thing in this world. So we can tackle all sort of problems.

But let the people ,who are outraged, try to rise awareness. We can make it a better world by making an unsignificant thing become a significant thing. So does my heart speak.

[quote=“sandman”]Bobepine, why is it not insignificant? Some people love dogs. Seeing them harmed is not insignificant at all. Others just don’t really care one way or another about dogs. To them it could well be insignificant. Still others might absolutely HATE dogs and wish them wiped off the face of the earth. To them it would be a positive boon. They’re all valid opinions.
If its not significant to JD, then its not. [/quote]So what’s your point? That when he expresses his opinion it’s fine, but when I do the same it’s not? It invalidates his opinion? I don’t get it. [quote]If it is significant to you, then it is. [/quote]Precisely.

[quote]I, for example absolutely LOVE stag beetles and those emerald green scarab beetles and feel a pang when I find a dead one, but I fully realise that not everyone shares my feelings. I don’t consider such people to be nasty unfeeling fuckers at all.[/quote]Fair enough, but there are laws against animal abuse, and for very good reasons.

Instead of using the same old card “bobepine you don’t respect other’s opinion” why don’t you tell us what you think about it, Sandman? What is your opinion? Is it insignificant or not to treat animals like that? If you think it’s significant, and I think you do, then why on earth would my opinion be regarded by you as an attempt to invalidate someone else’s opinion? It’s my opinion, nothing else, and if it invalidates jd’s opinion, then tough luck.

Or maybe it’s my tone you don’t like? Guess what, I’ll say it again: It’s a sad fucking world when people do shit like this to animals and others think it’s insignificant. That, Sir, is an opinion, and one I am fully entitled to.

[quote=“SHARLEE”][quote=“jdsmith”]bobepine, get the hell over yourself.

jdsowhat

Thanks for shopping.[/quote]

Pity :frowning:

“Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace.” - Albert Schweitzer (The Philosophy of Civilisation)[/quote]

I’m into Nietzhce myself. :slight_smile:

If everyone was like you, then no one would be special. Huh? :laughing:

Take care SL.

jds