Fantasy premier league

[quote=“jimipresley”][quote=“bismarck”]Some amateur thoughts (punters beware, my picks are shite, so go with the opposite to be sure of a great haul)…
Surely Bolton to beat Stoke, yeah? 2-1?
Arsenal 2-0 or more?
Fulham to draw with Tottenham?
I would say Man U, but after the last round they might just draw or lose to W. Brom… :idunno:
Westham 1-0 over Wolverhampton?
I’m a Newcastle fan, so I’ll go with them…
Surely Chelsea by 2-0 or more, right?
Everton, seeing as Liverpool has been so crappola. :2cents:
Man City to win or maybe a draw?
C’mon, help a straggler out! I’m behind my wife, for crying out loud, and she doesn’t even know which team is which. She just picks based on which jersey looks “prettier” or something. :fume:[/quote]

Let me give you a few pointers. Disregard what I say, because I’m probably wrong.

1. Bolton/Stoke: both very physical teams with not a whole lot of talent. I’d go for a 0-0 draw here, or either team to edge it 1-0. Stoke have had some impressive results thus far. Beating Newcastle at St James’ Park was one. They were not horribly outplayed by Chelsea (losing 2-0 at Stamford Bridge) and they beat Fulham, Aston Villa and Blackburn at home this season.
    Bolton have only managed draws at home so far.

2. Arsenal/Birmingham: The Gunners have had impressive scores against mediocre opponents in the Champion’s League. But have looked tentative at times in the BPL, and are plagued by injuries. Birmingham have secured a few draws and only one home win so far. They have a great keeper in Ben Foster, but I don’t see him holding the fort down single-handedly. Arsenal’s depth will carry them through, although they may be a little tired after the Europe stuff. I don’t see this as being too exciting. Arsenal will eke out a drab victory. 1-0 or 2-0.

3. Fulham/Tottenham: Fulham are really hard at home and Tottenham have been teetering. I’m inclined towards a 1-1 draw, but either side could snatch it.

4. ManUre/ West Brom: WBA have had a dream start to the season, but I can’t see them taking a point away from Old Trafford. Especially after ManUre’s humiliating draw with the Mackems last week. 3-0 MU.

5. WHam/Wolves: Two big relegation candidates languishing at the bottom of the table. Both teams will see this as one of their easier fixtures. Could go either way, but I’m going to pick the home side 2-1.

6. Newcastle/Wigan: I can’t see Wigan not going down this season. Will require an Herculian effort from another physical, but untalented team. I fancy the Magpies to take this 2-0.

7. Aston Villa/Chelsea: A tired and injury-wracked Chelsea will take this by one or two. They just have too much depth.

8. Everton/Liverpool: This is a BIG derby match. Liverpool have been utterly dismal so far. They have nothing left to loose anymore, it seems. Hatred of the owners, questions hanging over Hodgeson’s appointment, egos and in-fighting. Everton haven’t been much better, either, though. The Toffees may snatch this at Goodison, but I’m going to go for a 1-1 draw.

9. Blackpool/Man City: Blackpool have been playing out of their socks, and had some good results, but I can’t see them keeping it up. City are definite contenders for the Premiership, and I’m backing a 0-1 or 1-2 win for them.

10. Blackburn/Sunderland: Both teams are a bit iffy of late, but I’ll go for a Mackem win, considering how buoyed they must be after recent draws with Manure and Liverpool. Sunderland 0-1.

I’m probably totally wrong, so don’t kick me when I’m drunk just because you listened to my advice! :wink:[/quote]
What I should do, is write down my picks. Log on to Superbru and put in the exact opposite. If my 40 odd % is anything to go by I should be able to make a turn around of 60%!!

2010/2011 EPL Round 8

Results:
Bolton 2 - 1 Stoke
Man Utd 2 - 2 West Brom :fume:
Newcastle 2 - 2 Wigan :fume:
Arsenal 2 - 1 Birmingham
Wolverhampton 1 - 1 West Ham :fume:
Fulham 1 - 2 Tottenham
Aston Villa 0 - 0 Chelsea :fume:
Everton 2 - 0 Liverpool
Blackpool 2 - 3 Man City
Four effing draws!!! :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: Totally screws with my picks.

TwoTongues got the short sharp punches in for the Yellow Cap! :bravo: The top three, howver, sees no change with the Matchstick Man still at poll position, followed by jimipresley at 0.17 points adrift, closely followed by TwoTongues in third 0.41 points adrift. To those unfamiliar with Superbru scores, that’s less than a single correct pick between the top three!

Fixtures for Round Nine:
Tottenham v Everton - Tottenham?
Sunderland v Aston Villa - Aston Villa?
Chelsea v Wolverhampton - Chelsea
Birmingham v Blackpool - Blackpool/Draw?
Wigan v Bolton - Bolton?
West Brom v Fulham - West Brom/Draw?
Liverpool v Blackburn - Blackburn/draw
West Ham v Newcastle - I’d like to say Newcastle…
Stoke v Man Utd - Man U?
Man City v Arsenal - Man City?

Barclays Premier League Log
1 Chelsea 19
2 Man City 17
3 Arsenal 14
4 Man Utd 14
5 Tottenham 14
6 West Brom 12
7 Bolton 11
8 Aston Villa 11
9 Stoke 10
10 Blackpool 10
11 Everton 9
12 Fulham 9
13 Wigan 9
14 Newcastle 8
15 Sunderland 8
16 Blackburn 8
17 Birmingham 7
18 Wolverhampton 6
19 Liverpool 6
20 West Ham 6

2010/2011 EPL Round 9

Round 9 results:
Man City 0 - 3 Arsenal
Liverpool 2 - 1 Blackburn
Stoke 1 - 2 Man Utd
West Ham 1 - 2 Newcastle
Sunderland 1 - 0 Aston Villa
Chelsea 2 - 0 Wolverhampton
Birmingham 2 - 0 Blackpool
West Brom 2 - 1 Fulham
Wigan 1 - 1 Bolton
Tottenham 1 - 1 Everton

Jimipresley regains the lead from Matchstick, who plummets to 4th on the log. TwoTongues comes into 2nd to fill the void, with Dougster hard on his heels in 3rd spot and the Yellow Cap! :bravo:
Personally, I have no idea what to do anymore. My picks suck. :frowning:

Fixtures for Round Nine:
Everton v Stoke Goodison Park
Arsenal v West Ham Emirates Stadium
Fulham v Wigan Craven Cottage
Blackburn v Chelsea Ewood Park
Wolverhampton v Man City Molineux Stadium
Man Utd v Tottenham Old Trafford
Aston Villa v Birmingham Villa Park
Newcastle v Sunderland St James’ Park
Bolton v Liverpool Reebok Stadium

Barclays Premier League Log
1 Chelsea 22
2 Arsenal 17
3 Man Utd 17
4 Man City 17
5 Tottenham 15
6 West Brom 15
7 Sunderland 12
8 Bolton 12
9 Newcastle 11
10 Aston Villa 11
11 Everton 10
12 Birmingham 10
13 Stoke 10
14 Blackpool 10
15 Wigan 10
16 Fulham 9
17 Blackburn 9
18 Liverpool 9
19 Wolverhampton 6
20 West Ham 6

Don’t despair bismarck, you’re doing a great job.

Yeah, you’re a stalwart. Personally, I would have given up years ago.

Yeah, you’re a stalwart. Personally, I would have given up years ago.[/quote]
We are not amused. :fume:

2010/2011 EPL Round 10

Meh! Here’s the log. :raspberry:

At least Frikkie got the Yellow Cap, but the bugger is that it makes me fall even further behind… :fume:

[quote=“bismarck”]
At least Frikkie got the Yellow Cap, but the bugger is that it makes me fall even further behind… :fume:[/quote]
Don’t despair. You’re still ahead of Hobbes.

[quote=“jimipresley”][quote=“bismarck”]
At least Frikkie got the Yellow Cap, but the bugger is that it makes me fall even further behind… :fume:[/quote]
Don’t despair. You’re still ahead of Hobbes.[/quote]
Sure, but that’s only because he forgets to make his picks!

Here’s the log for round 11 of the EPL.

Jimi maintains his lead, but Kiki gets the Yellow Cap for the round! :bravo: Dougster moves up to second, Matchstick hangs on to third and TwoTongues drops to fourth. Interesting to see some movement in the top four! Time to make my move! :imp:

EPL Round 12 - The mid-week round they slipped in there. :fume:

TwoTongues took the Yellow Cap :bravo: , while moving to second, with jimi in first and Kiki moving up to third. I didn’t even know about the round. :fume: Jimi was kind enough to “remind me to make my picks” after the round was over… :fume: :fume:
Now he’s probably going to tell me, with my picks, it wouldn’t have made a difference anyway. :bluemad:

EPL Round 13

Top three remains the same with Matchstick taking the Yellow Cap. :bravo:
Again, I get a miserly 2.3 points. If I just picked them all as a draws I would have gotten at least 4!!! :fume: :bluemad:
Soccer sucks!

It’s nice to see the top 5 so close together definitely makes for a more interesting competition.

2010/2011 EPL - Round 14

Arsenal 2 - 3 Tottenham
Bolton 5 - 1 Newcastle
Man Utd 2 - 0 Wigan
West Brom 0 - 3 Stoke
Blackpool 2 - 1 Wolverhampton
Birmingham 1 - 0 Chelsea
Liverpool 3 - 0 West Ham
Blackburn 2 - 0 Aston Villa
Fulham 1 - 4 Man City
Sunderland 2 - 2 Everton

Dougster takes the Yellow Cap and moves past Kiki (down to 4th) and TwoTongues (down to 3rd) to second place. Jimipresley does enough to remain in poll position.
Me? I’m just f*cking baffled.

Honestly, does the UEFA cup fixtures impact on performances? How does one pick winners? What about draws? Last round there were four or five bloody draws, this time only one and a few “upsets” or “surprises”. Seems rugby is a lot more predictable (draws being a rarity), often coming down to who can picks the margins the closest, although upsets do happen. Also, I am much more aware of which teams are on song and which ones are duds. With the football, it’s a just a crap shoot. I may as well toss a coin, draw lots or pick names out of a hat for all the help it does… :fume:
Seriously, not even remotely fun anymore. I don’t mind losing, but consistently only getting two picks out of eight on a good weekend??? WTF???

Fixtures for Round 15
Aston Villa v Arsenal - I’d normally go with Arsenal, but that probably means it’ll either be a draw or Villa by one. :fume:
Everton v West Brom - My pick is Everton, so you lot had best go with West Brom… :2cents:
Bolton v Blackpool - Bolton? Nah, probably end up a draw or Blackpool by 5.
Fulham v Birmingham - Fulham? I’d pick 'em, but then it’d probably result in a draw.
West Ham v Wigan - Draw? WTFK???
Man Utd v Blackburn - Man U? Guess that means a draw or a win for Blackburn. :wall:
Stoke v Man City - No idea, TBH. Draw?
Wolverhampton v Sunderland - Sunderland after their recent win?
Newcastle v Chelsea - Poor Newcastle. Must be my support doing them in. Guess they’ll be arse raped by Chelsea.
Tottenham v Liverpool - Tottenham, right? Nope, being my pick odds are it’ll result in a draw or Liverpool will come alive all of a sudden.

Oh, Bis, you’re a good sport. I would have hanged myself my now.

Yeah, yeah! Whatever! :fume: I finished third this week! :raspberry:

English Premier League round 15

EPL Round 15 results:
Aston Villa 2 - 4 Arsenal
Stoke 1 - 1 Man City
Bolton 2 - 2 Blackpool
West Ham 3 - 1 Wigan
Man Utd 7 - 1 Blackburn :discodance: :bravo: Well done, Berbatov!
Fulham 1 - 1 Birmingham
Everton 1 - 4 West Brom
Wolverhampton 3 - 2 Sunderland
Tottenham 2 - 1 Liverpool
Newcastle 1 - 1 Chelsea :bravo: Awesome draw Newcastle!

Matchstick gets the Yellow Cap :bravo: , in so doing drawing ever closer to the fading Jimipresley holding on to the ever so tentative lead. :smiley: Dougster and TwoTongues drop to 3rd and 4th respectively. I’m still quietly biding my time on seventh, keeping Hobbes at bay before I strike.

Actually. I think Hobbes has stopped playing. :ponder:

Fixtures for round 16:
Arsenal v Fulham - Arsenal, anyone?
Chelsea v Everton - Chelsea, maybe?
Birmingham v Tottenham - Tottenham, perhaps?
Wigan v Stoke - reckon Stoke should get it, yeah?
Blackburn v Wolverhampton - How about them Wolves?
Man City v Bolton - Tough one… :ponder: I’ll toss a coin. Nothing else has seemed to work so far.
Blackpool v Man Utd - Man U!!
West Brom v Newcastle - Newcastle!!!
Sunderland v West Ham - No idea. Sunderland? Draw?
Liverpool v Aston Villa - Aston Villa over the fading Liverpool?

English Premier League - Round 16

Arsenal 2 - 1 Fulham
Man City 1 - 0 Bolton
Chelsea 1 - 1 Everton
Birmingham 1 - 1 Tottenham
Blackburn 3 - 0 Wolverhampton
Wigan 2 - 2 Stoke
West Brom 3 - 1 Newcastle
Sunderland 1 - 0 West Ham
Liverpool 3 - 0 Aston Villa
*Matches in Italics are games that were on Superbru.

Jimipresley has a good showing to remain on top and win the round’s Yellow Cap. :bravo: Dougster and TwoTongues remain second and third on the log. Outside the top three Matchstick passes Kiki for fourth, hot on the chase to get into the top three again.

Round 17 fixtures:
Everton v Wigan - Everton or a draw possibly.
Fulham v Sunderland
West Ham v Man City - Man City?
Stoke v Blackpool
Aston Villa v West Brom - Possible draw?
Newcastle v Liverpool - I’d like to see Newcastle win, but Liverpool is looking better atm. Liverpool then?
Bolton v Blackburn
Wolverhampton v Birmingham
Tottenham v Chelsea - Tottenham, maybe? Or a draw?
Man Utd v Arsenal - Man U.
*Matches in Italics are on Superbru.

C’mon, liven up the thread and tell me what you think…

Great job as always bismarck… but as for your picks! A few derbies this weekend so zzzz draws are safe bets. man u arsenal will be interesting.

English Premier League Round 17

Results:
Fulham 0 - 0 Sunderland
Everton 0 - 0 Wigan
West Ham 1 - 3 Man City
Stoke 0 - 1 Blackpool
Aston Villa 2 - 1 West Brom
Newcastle 3 - 1 Liverpool :discodance:
Bolton 2 - 1 Blackburn
Wolverhampton 1 - 0 Birmingham
Tottenham 1 - 1 Chelsea
Man Utd 1 - 0 Arsenal :discodance:
*Italics represents games on Superbru.

Frikkie scores an awesome round to take the Yellow Cap, closely followed by the wee Taiwanese lassie. The top two remain unchanged, but Kiki comes storming back into third spot by knocking TwoTongues to fifth spot and Matchstick (who jumps over TT) to fourth.
I had a superb round in getting the fourth highest score for round 17, especially considering I forgot to make my picks and lost out on the first four games. I made my picks just as the Newcastle game had started, and sadly couldn’t back my boys against Liverpool.

The fixtures for Round 18:
Sunderland v Bolton
Arsenal v Stoke - Arsenal
Birmingham v Newcastle - Newcastle
Wigan v Aston Villa - Villa, or a possible draw?
Blackburn v West Ham - Blackburn
Liverpool v Fulham - Liverpool to avenge the lost to Newcastle?
West Brom v Wolverhampton
Blackpool v Tottenham - Tottenham
Chelsea v Man Utd - Draw?
Man City v Everton - Man City
*Italics represents games on Superbru. eight games this round, so plenty of opportunity to make some good points (or fall even further behind!).

A heads-up, y’all. Remember: there is a gameweek starting on the 26th and the next is on the 28th. Don’t want you lot crying about the unfairness of it all when I whip your sorry asses.

Note: I didn’t post the results for Round 18, because most of the games were cancelled due to snow/weather conditions.

English Premier League - Round 19

Results:
Fulham 1 - 3 West Ham
Newcastle 1 - 3 Man City :frowning:
Bolton 2 - 0 West Brom
Blackburn 0 - 2 Stoke
Wolverhampton 1 - 2 Wigan
Man Utd 2 - 0 Sunderland :discodance:
Aston Villa 1 - 2 Tottenham
Arsenal 3 - 1 Chelsea
*Games in Italics were on Superbru.

Forumosa Log after Round 19

Frikkie gets the lion’s share of points to secure the Yellow Cap, but it’s not enough to break into the Top 3. The Top 3 remians unchanged with jimi leading, followed by the Dougster and the wee Taiwanese girl, Kiki.

[color=#FF0000]
Remember, Round 20 begins tonight, so get your picks in early!
[/color]

Fixtures for Round 20:
Tottenham v Newcastle
Sunderland v Blackpool
Stoke v Fulham
West Brom v Blackburn
Man City v Aston Villa
West Ham v Everton
Birmingham v Man Utd
Wigan v Arsenal
Chelsea v Bolton
Liverpool v Wolverhampton