Fastest Scooter (Your bike's top speed)

Maoman, you paid 190,000NT for a SCOOTER?

I’m confused. My 14,000NT RZX stock will (and has) smoke the pants off any of these things…My Shiny new RZR back in 1990 was only 60K!

I rode it and raced it for 13 years and put some 170,000K on her during that time. Once I finished with all the mods I could bury the speedo (180k)at 12,000RPM in 5th gear!

I just wonder if any of these newfangled plastic tanks will have that sort of durability. My current RZX (1992) is a sweet little stocker with a top speed of 140K or so…Be VERY interested to see ANY stock scooter take it on top end (or anywhere in between for that matter)…The only motorcycle or scooter ever made on this island that can outpace an RZ would be a NSR150. Another two- stroke I might add.

Actually, I’d like to give that a go…A spanking new 250 scooter against my 12 year old RZX…

I’ll admit they look coomfy but 6,000US?..Damn! :notworthy:

I used to have an RZR that I had modded past the point of recognition. It was a thing of beauty. Monoshock suspension, rebuilt engine, braided brake lines, discs front and rear - but too fast and too light. It went so fast that I got nervous front wheel was always lifting off the ground. Wheelies in fourth gear on a bumpy Roosevelt ROad are cool to watch, but a little freaky when you’re doing them. I sold it before I killed myself, and the guy that bought it off me cracked it up after it got away from him. He got off lightly with a broken arm.

Until recently scooters were just transportation. Up to a few months ago, I was covering up to 100ks in a day of teaching privates (My $8400NT Saturdays), I needed a bike that could do it reliably, fast, safe and dry (scooter drivers stay dryer than motorcylists). Oh yeah, I could also fit my briefcase under the seat. I drive hard and aggressively, and I needed a top-end scooter. The 250 fit the description perfectly. It was GREAT ride. I already miss it. Next year, I’ll get another one. Maybe the Suzuki Skywave 250.

My 10 year old Dio ( originally a 50cc up’ed to racing 90cc ) can do over 100kph. 0-80 can be done in less than 10 seconds. Not to mention - you can snake in and out between the traffic like a well-lubricated pussy you met at the meat market.

Maoman,

I knew you had it in you… :sunglasses:

Wow, some awsome suspension mods…I’d love to see a picture and see how you did the swing-arm and the Monoshock on the RZR frame…Cool stuff indeed!

I didn’t crash and burn mine…Just rode it to the point of parts exhaustion and rust… :cry: I went through six heads and four complete bottom end rebuilds. But, over the 13 years I had it, and despite all the crazy mods, it never once broke down on the road…Never.

I got really lucky and found a replacement soon after. I don’t use mine for city commuting, it’s strictly a mountain toy. The guy babied it, greased everything and kept it in the garage…Only has 16,000K from the original owner.

Be honest though…Don’t you miss it sometimes?

If you ever want to build another one, I have enough parts here to make at least one or two more… :smiling_imp:

Fly One

I used the Fly One for a while-150cc yamaha, 4 stroke, slightly different looking to most scooters, somewhere inbetween normal and the new style-Dink/Majesty. Very comfortable to ride, stopped well-quickly and safely by using its great suspension, good for long rides, quick enough-topped out around 90k, solid and safe in traffic, but tended to overheat. I imagine that you can still pick them up in Yen-ping N. Rd. for 15-20k, second hand (but beware the eventual cost for replacement parts).

[quote=“Michael J Botti”]Maoman, you paid 190,000NT for a SCOOTER?

I’m confused. My 14,000NT RZX stock will (and has) smoke the pants off any of these things…My Shiny new RZR back in 1990 was only 60K!

I rode it and raced it for 13 years and put some 170,000K on her during that time. Once I finished with all the mods I could bury the speedo (180k)at 12,000RPM in 5th gear!

I just wonder if any of these newfangled plastic tanks will have that sort of durability. My current RZX (1992) is a sweet little stocker with a top speed of 140K or so…Be VERY interested to see ANY stock scooter take it on top end (or anywhere in between for that matter)…The only motorcycle or scooter ever made on this island that can outpace an RZ would be a NSR150. Another two- stroke I might add.

Actually, I’d like to give that a go…A spanking new 250 scooter against my 12 year old RZX…

I’ll admit they look coomfy but 6,000US?..Damn! :notworthy:[/quote]

a 100cc 2 stroke bike will be able to outrace a 100cc 4stroke in any contest…due to simple design giving it an extremely high power-to-weight ratio compared to 4 stroke designs…really narrow powerband tho

4 stroke scooter vs 4 stroke motorcycle of same displacement…the motorcycle wins cuz of the manual transmission…

therefore…135 rzr 2stroke motorcycle with manual tranny vs 250 4 stroke scooter with variomatic transmission…the rzr wins…but not by much…come on out…lets play…nothing beats cubic inches(working with such small displacement, shouldn’t it be ‘cubic inch’) 0-70kph…

250 scooters, even the small Ego, are way more comfortable over distance than the 125/150 scooters esp with a passenger on board…don’t knock the big scooters before u try them…i was riding a borrowed 90cc before i upgraded to the 250…nearly triple the displacement and really smooth power from 0-110kph…

mao: skywave 250 is a beautiful bike…a bit long, and would not work well in heavy traffic…but great for taking out for mountain and coastal rides…if u got a bit more freedom…go for the 450 or 600 version…same body…way bigger engine…suzuki burgman…

-chris

My Kymco 125 will do about 100 KM on about 300 meters of road, but I have rarely been on anything longer than that to really try it out. I would love to though especially as it’s just about run-in.
I once got my mountain bike up to 70 MPH coming down a mountain road in Germany. That was pretty scary in the wind! Foolishly fun though!

Side topic.

All I have noticed about Yamaha 125 magesty’s is that they have all the disadvantages of a motorcycle i.e being heavy, not very manouverable difficult to park, not enough room to sheild your feet from the rain and no place to rest your shopping bags plus many disadvantages of a scooter i.e. being slow, having small wheels to sink into potholes, looking less cool, looking less cool and looking rather sillier.

So why do people spend so much money on them?
And are the engines as bad as the other Yamaha scooter models i.e. wear out quickly, blow smoke and suffer from being very expensive to repair?

[quote=“sula_vaca”]My Kymco 125 will do about 100 KM on about 300 meters of Road, but I have rarely been on anything longer than that to really try it out. I would love to though especially as it’s just about run-in.
I once got my mountain bike up to 70 MPH coming down a mountain Road in Germany. That was pretty scary in the wind! Foolishly fun though!

Side topic.

All I have noticed about Yamaha 125 magesty’s is that they have all the disadvantages of a motorcycle i.e being heavy, not very manouverable difficult to park, not enough room to sheild your feet from the rain and no place to rest your shopping bags plus many disadvantages of a scooter i.e. being slow, having small wheels to sink into potholes, looking less cool, looking less cool and looking rather sillier.

So why do people spend so much money on them?
And are the engines as bad as the other Yamaha scooter models i.e. wear out quickly, blow smoke and suffer from being very expensive to repair?[/quote]

majesty’s can be modified…and they are quite popular among young scooter racers…big platform, fairly stable with a long wheelbase, quality Japanese engine design specs, easy to carry passenger…majesties don’t HAVE to be slow…hit the mountains sometime…you’ll be amazed at what ppl have done to their bikes…

and beware of ‘kuai le biao’(happy dials) aka unreliable spedometer readings…many locally made scooters/bikes are accurate up to around 70 kph…after that…WOW looks like we’re sizzlin today…‘i swear i had my 50cc green plated beast up to 125kph yesterday going up the hill’

-chris

Mine don’t go too fast – 140kph but it didn’t really like it too much – too big and heavy, too small an engine is a good description of the 150cc Yamaha Dragfire. Still, its so low to the ground and so long, I can jam a toothpick into the throttle, lean back on the sissy bar and cruise along with my feet up on the bars and it just rolls along steady as a rock. You’re talking major comfort here. Then I have to park, and the back fender gets scraped by passing cars cuz it sticks out so much.

In 1966 I had a Honda CS-90(4-stroke) motor bike with a tuned straight pipe. I could do 70 MPH on the flat and I weighed about 180 lb. It cost me ( including freight charges from Japan) 117.00 US dollah! :laughing: However, I rode the thing so hard I had to get the engine rebuilt twice within about 9 months. Each rebuild cost less than twenty bucks!! :laughing: :laughing: I had a blast except for urban driving. Traffic consisted of about 20,000 bicycles per kilometer along with fifteen or twenty Bluebird taxis and a dozen fish trucks. GOL, I was crazy. :sunglasses:

I have a P.G.O. “Hot 50”. I think the highest I’ve ever spied the speedometer at was 60 km/h.

I don’t dare glance down at the speedo when I’m going top speed. (Ok, maybe just a little bit - 110 on the flat).

Brian

I think all the replies on this forum is foolishness.I wont dare doing more than 80km/h on my scooter.I wonder how many people die each day on the roads in Taiwan.This is not the place to check out the top speed of anything.I think all of you are atta atta.lol

80km on my 50cc. Yeah, with a tail wind but still true, I don’t know how though.

Just got my first scooter yesterday… My wife’s sister moved to tokyo so she gave me her 50cc scooter… I have got it up to 80 and that is fast enough for me in this city… I have always had crotch rockets in the states, but to me, in this city, I am trying not to waste my money on one even though I bet the mountain roads would be a blast on one if you didnt get ran over…
Even though I will probably get killed, the Ducati store I pass everyday on the way to my new home keeps calling my name… Dont know how long I can resist, even with my wife saying she will divorce me if I get one… Scared the shit out of her on my bike in the states so I will see how it goes, if I get the nerve might just have to hide if for a while.

If I was ever to mod my ultra cool neon green 50cc Dio scooter, is there a shop that you guys recommend. It is old so I guess I could have some fun with it before junking it.

Why bother with these pony 150cc bikes. Not worth the effort. If you’re gonna ride a bike get something 400cc or bigger.

My Fuzzy serves me just fine - just took it to Sun Moon Lake, from Taichung, in two hours. Opened up to 120 on the open stretches, no problem.

I laugh, and cringe, when I see a foreigner on those mock-Harleys. Get a life, or a real bike. “Charisma Man Commutes to Kindy”…haha

The old scooter/motorbike debate still has a little life left in it.

If people want to ride mini-cruisers then let them – they’re pretty comfortable and can probably still out-accelerate (because of the manual gears) and out-handle most scooters (because of the bigger tyres, larger wheels, stronger frames and longer, better suspension).

Also regarding sport-style bikes, Hexuan wrote on another thread that he can get his knee down while riding his Yamaha FZ150. I’m sure I could on mine too if I were brave enough. FZ and FZR 150s have to be among the best handling small bikes anywhere (I would have thought Cagivas or Aprilias to be as good or better, but ten times the price if you can get them here at all).

But for general comfort and convenience scooters come out top. I swapped bikes with a friend for a week so have been riding his Kymco Apex 150 around – roughly the same size as a Dink or Grand Dink. It’s very comfortable, not only for the pilot but also the passenger. The seats are like armchairs. It’s also more comfortable for the passenger because the acceleration is smooth, due to the continually variable transmission. On a small motorbike you’re always changing gears. Changing down can be got pretty smooth but changing up is a little jerkier.

I saw a foreigner on a new Grand Dink 250 the other day. It didn’t actually look that bad on the road, with a rider. He proudly told me “You can ride it in the mountains!” 250 scooters are pretty tempting – still pretty convenient but better for long distances as well. I don’t really ride my bike very hard and prefer fairly relaxed cruising so I think I be alright with the limitations of a scooter. Only the price puts me off.

I’m on my 11th scooter/bike in Taiwan. I’ve had everything from a Vespa, a 50cc moped, a dirt bike, a 150cc scooter or two, various souped-up crotch rockets, etc. and the mock Harley I ride now is simply streets ahead of anything I’ve had in the past here for what I require.
Me, I cringe and laugh when I hear a moron spout off about things he doesn’t have a clue about.

1 Like

Saw a bike/scooter this weekend, that i am still trying to identify. It looked like a scooter, in temrs of styling etc, dual heieght seat etc, but had large - in appearance normal motorcycel size wheels - a honda badge, all on a yellow plate, suggesting larger engine capacity, no idea what size.

Still cannot make up my mind if it is a good idea or not. :blush:

OK, found what it is, a Honda Silver Wing

powersports.honda.com/scooters/m … Id=FSC6004

A 600 c.c. scooter with larger than normal scooter wheels, 14 inch front, 13 inch rear… which are still smaller than the normal motorcycle wheel