Fat, Salt or Sugar: Which is the biggest killer?

[quote]zender wrote:
I think it’s something like Paper, Scissors, Stone.

Yeah! If you only eat that stuff, you won’t EVER get fat![/quote]

Don’t forget the wok and pot - essential to the weigh loss diet.

“We need to quit demonizing entire macronutrient groups. Your body needs all of these things in varying degrees.”

Exactly. What is “good” or “bad” for you depends on the context of the rest of your diet, lifestyle, genetics, age etc… Some people are many times more prone to diabetes than others, same goes with hypertenstion, and high cholesterol, etc. Writing off white flower, salt, or red meat as evil is not useful, unless you know you are particularly prone to their downsides. All things in moderation for the rest of us. :smiley:

Thanks for your reply. I think I’m with you on your fuller explanation, but I’m still interested in having these questions answered in layman’s terms, if possible.

Question 1: Is it the case you’d ONLY go into ketoacidosis (from ketosis) IF your body was insulin deficient?

Question 2: Can the Atkins Diet be attributed with causing this insulin deficiency?

Question 3: Is it possible or probable to experience Ketoacidosis where insulin function is normal, but glucose or carbohydrate ingestion is extremely low? If not, why not? How does the manifestation of extreme Ketosis differ from Ketoacidosis if this circumstance doesn’t lead to Ketoacidosis?

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]I went to Burger King one day last week, sat down to a meal of Fat (bacon cheese burger), Salt (french fries liberally salted) and Sugar (massive cola), and wondered which of the poisons was most toxic. I guess the answer depends in part on the particular person – whether he/she has high blood pressure, diabetes, hypoglycemia, etc.

But, in general, which is most deadly?[/quote]

I think your poll should include tobacco, as cancer is this year taking over as the biggest killer.
dailymail.co.uk/health/artic … -2010.html

And especially in a place as heavily industrialized as Taiwan, PCBs, dioxins, lead, mercury, cadmium and other widely spread toxins and heavy metals are also worth being aware of.

Then there’s the question of which of the following is least disgusting and contains the lowest percentage of fat, gristle, skin, hooves, beaks, bacteria and fecal matter. I rarely go to fast food, but did today and opted for the chicken sandwich – thinking it might be slightly less unhealthy than a double bacon cheeseburger – but as a chewed on it I couldn’t help picturing what might have gone into it. :sick:

And those are the clean photos. Maybe I’ll have a salad next time.

Sugar get my vote! Ironically many foods we eat on a regular basis are loaded with sugar. Sugar has the potential of inducing abnormal metabolic processes in a normal healthy individual and to promote chronic degenerative diseases! Less sugar and more sweetness in our face. :slight_smile:

Health problems (obesity, diabetes etc…) didn’t get completely out of control until high-fructose corn syrup was invented by the Japanese.

Check out this video:

Ever wonder how that perfectly healthy guy had the liver of a chronic alcoholic after eating McDonald’s for a solid month in ‘Supersize Me’ (the documentary)? Sugar. May as well be drinking bourbon when you’re on that high-fructose chemical death.

People are convinced that it’s the fat…the sodium. Nuh-uh. Watch this vid on YouTube and I’m certain you will never see the food industry the same way again.

I still have a cola one in a while, but I steer clear of anything with this crap in the ingredients now.

Another interesting video talk, this time by Gary Taubes. He’s done a lot of analysis of the research on weight which has been done over the past 100 years or so, to try to understand what are the causes of the current epidemic of obesity.
video.google.com/videoplay?docid … 661765149#

He’s got 2 books out on this subject… the earlier one is called ‘Good Calories Bad Calories’, which apparently was extremely thorough, but not very readable for non-scientists. His new book is called “Why We Get Fat” and is a distillation of the previous book, with some updates.

I’m currently reading the Why We Get Fat book and it’s pretty readable and does a good job of debunking much of the ‘conventional wisdom’, especially the well worn advice that you should simply eat less and exercise more, so you use up more calories than you eat. He presents lots of evidence to show that excess fat accumulation cannot just be caused by eating too much. In a nutshell, it seems highly probable that carbs are the big problem.

Anyway, just thought it might be of interest…

Ben

Well, one of the most oft cited examples of quality plant-based protein is tofu and related products. Too bad some people are allergic to such foods. Frankly, as an endurance athlete, there is a greater need for me to consume quality proteins according to several people who I know who work as nutritionists…

If people want to be vegan or vegetarian or Buddhist vegetarnian… have at it… I just don’t like being told that eating meat is somehow wrong… it isn’t…

OK, who did this?

Help! The gov’t needs to stop me from shoving things in my mouth!

1 Like

That article was pretty light. :grin:
And if the 'author ’ travelled around he would realise that Taiwanese consumers are actually quite knowledgeable about their drinks and actively try to avoid sugar compared to many countries.

There’s a few problems with food labelling in Taiwan though.

1. The weight or size is not always displayed on packaging or labelling

2. The portion size trick.
    It’s very common to see the calorie statement t o be split into ‘portions’ instead of the total calorie count in the package.
    They do this even when it’s a bottle or one single package of product !

3. Fats and sugars. It’s hard to understand exactly how much of the carbohydrates are this or that sugar . Or how much of the fats are this or that oil.
    For instance you can have a advertised as sunflower cookie but it could only have a small amount of sunflower oil and tonnes of other crappy oils added.

Or it has no added sugar but has malt or milk which already has sugar. I suspect thsts the trick many of the drink shops use as their ‘cream mix’ or 'pearls ’ are loaded with sugar already.

Crikey. I just noticed a huge error in one of those old posts from the esteemed mr urodacus. Your body can and does synthesize glucose (gluconeogenesis) from fats: indeed it must do so (a) to usefully dispose of the glycerol backbone of triglycerides and (b) as part of its control strategy to maintain blood sugar within limits. Odd-chain-length fatty acids (or it might be even-chain-length, I forget) can also be used as a substrate, although AFAIK this doesn’t happen much in humans.

In other words, the human requirement for carbohydrates is zero, as most physiology textbooks will tell you. It is the only macronutrient we don’t need to consume. I’m not suggesting that, therefore, we should not consume carbohydrates: just pointing out that “if you don’t eat carbohydrates you’ll die” simply isn’t true. We know it isn’t true because loads of keto fanatics are eating 20, 25g carbs a day, and they ain’t dead yet.

1 Like