Father abandons dog in mountains while owner is away

Sometimes it requires an effort. And as long as we are speculating, it wouldn’t surprise me if she lost some trust in addition to the dog.

Abandoning pets is a problem everywhere.

People seem to have the mistaken belief that animals will suddenly be aware how to fend for themselves after being dumped into unfamiliar environments.

Even cats need to be taught by their mothers how to hunt and kill for food.

I found a rabbit in Daan Park earlier this year! How stupid can someone get to believe pets will survive without them?

[quote=“rooftop”]Abandoning pets is a problem everywhere.

People seem to have the mistaken belief that animals will suddenly be aware how to fend for themselves after being dumped into unfamiliar environments.

Even cats need to be taught by their mothers how to hunt and kill for food. [/quote]
You mean like the 4,283,227,509,187 stray cats I’ve seen wandering around Taipei in the last four and a half months?

Them’s good eatin’.

Regardless of the circumstances, no one should ever abandon a dog like that. The father’s behaviour was vile and inexcusable, and he deserves at least to be publicly shamed for what he did. It’s a pity that the girl didn’t include the despicable old bastard’s picture and address with her appeal to find the poor dog. Frankly, I’d like to take the heartless old git to a remote area in Taiwan’s central mountains and dump him there without food, drink, clothing or any kind of aid to survival and see how well he fared – and I wouldn’t shed a single tear for him if he perished miserably as a result.

As it’s such a lovely looking dog, one can only hope that some kind-hearted soul has already found it and taken it home.

[quote=“MaPoSquid”][quote=“rooftop”]Abandoning pets is a problem everywhere.

Even cats need to be taught by their mothers how to hunt and kill for food. [/quote]
You mean like the 4,283,227,509,187 stray cats I’ve seen wandering around Taipei in the last four and a half months?[/quote]

As I said, abandoned pets are ill-equipped to survive. Those that are born stray could conceivably have been taught by their mothers, no?

Are you trying to advance the view that abandoned pets will survive based on seeing so many cats around the streets of Taipei?

Even if some survive, this does not discount the fact that animals learn necessary survival skills from their mothers

Also, worms, mange, attacks, malnutrition and a whole host of diseases/infections will shorten and eventually end the life of a street animal whether or not it was abandoned.

A sad tale, but at least the dog will no longer have to suffer the indignity of being dressed up like Santa Claus. Shame on the girl for being an ignorant shmuck that buys a dog and then leaves it. Double shame on the ignorant schmuck of a father.

I’d like to hire MaPo to solve the feral cat and dog problem. Vee must purify zee vildlife!

The number of abandoned pets here is incredible. Taiwanese pet owners - even self-proclaimed exotic animal enthusiasts - seldom do any proper research before buying a pet. “Oh, I didn’t realise they drank water!”

And let’s not forget the millions of critters that are “set free” by “merciful” Buddhists looking to score a few merit points for their karma bank balance!!!

Taiwan Beer wrote:

Sandman wrote:

You guy are assuming facts not in evidence.
The girl had the dog for six or seven years. She didn’t go out and get a dog and then traipse off to China to work. I don’t know, if you had a dog for six years and then were posted to China, would you expect that your Dad would dump the dog without even consulting you?
The people who suggest, “Well, just get another one,” have never owned a dog. Or perhaps they are the ones that had one in a birdcage then beat it to death when it got too big and was no longer a cute puppy.

Sandman wrote: [quote]A sad tale, but at least the dog will no longer have to suffer the indignity of being dressed up like Santa Claus[/quote]

Which is more than can be said for many of us fat bastard waiguoren!! :blush:

[quote=“almas john”]
And let’s not forget the millions of critters that are “set free” by “merciful” Buddhists looking to score a few merit points for their karma bank balance!!![/quote]This is becoming a huge problem, freshwater fish released into the ocean and vice versa to die and pollute the area, tame birds released into the wild to starve… Of course there’s too much money in it for it to stop anytime soon. The most profitable is the animals they sell for release, then round up after the faithful have left, then sell again to the next group. Or how about the animals they capture from the wild and sell to the faithful to ‘set free’? :loco:

Sorry, but no. I’ve shot dangerous dogs before, but I wouldn’t do that to harmless animals just trying to survive another day.

[quote=“wolf_reinhold”]Taiwan Beer wrote:

Sandman wrote:

The girl had the dog for six or seven years. She didn’t go out and get a dog and then traipse off to China to work. I don’t know, if you had a dog for six years and then were posted to China, would you expect that your Dad would dump the dog without even consulting you?[/quote]
OK, so let’s look at the facts…
The girl had the dog six or seven years.
She dumps the dog (which requires daily medication, I believe you said) at her father’s house while she goes off to pursue her career in China.
The father decides he wants to get rid of this burden his daughter has left with him and so he takes the dog that was dumped on him and he dumps it somewhere else.
Does that about cover it?
I think we’ve all been focusing our anger at the wrong party here. The father is innocent. As a matter of fact, the old man was only sitting at home when his daughter ran off and left a homeless mutt at his door step. Glad it wasn’t at my dad’s house - he would have shot it.

Vannyel wrote:

[quote]She dumps the dog… at her father’s house …so he [the father] takes the dog …and he dumps it somewhere else [in the mountains].
Does that about cover it?[/quote]
It does if you think these two are equal, which it appears you do:
Leaving dog (“dumping”) with Dad = Dad abandoning it in woods (to die).
I rest your case.

[quote=“wolf_reinhold”]Taiwan Beer wrote:

Sandman wrote:

The girl had the dog for six or seven years. She didn’t go out and get a dog and then traipse off to China to work.[/quote]
She’s an ignorant schmuck. My dog died last year at the age of 15, and I’ve decided against getting another one. Why? Because I don’t know where I’ll be 15 years from now and I don’t ever want to be put into a situation like that stupid girl found herself in. Would I LIKE another dog? You bet your sweet patootie I would. It’s called having a sense of responsibility.

More people need to think ahead like Sandman!

I don’t want to start some kind of people vs. animal value debate here, but taking on a pet is taking on responsibility for another life. Period.

I don’t know where I’ll be in the next ten to 15 years, but wherever I go, you can be sure that I’m bringing my dog.

Speaking of which, anybody want to dogsit/housesit this CNY at Lotus Hill? Otherwise, I’ll have to set Gustav free in the mountains to fend for himself while I’m sunning myself on the sunny beaches of the Philippines. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“wolf_reinhold”]Vannyel wrote:

[quote]She dumps the dog… at her father’s house …so he [the father] takes the dog …and he dumps it somewhere else [in the mountains].
Does that about cover it?[/quote]
It does if you think these two are equal, which it appears you do:
Leaving dog (“dumping”) with Dad = Dad abandoning it in woods (to die).
I rest your case.[/quote]
If dad didn’t care about the dog, how was it expected to survive anyway.
I had several pets in the U.S. and instead of abandoning them at my relatives’ doorsteps or coercing someone into ‘accepting’ one before I left, I took the time to find them real homes. And I too did not know how long I would be gone. There was a good chance I would be back in a month but I had to do what was best for my pets, the people adopting them, and myself.
And due to this experience I don’t have any pets here. Doing the right thing is a lot harder than dumping ‘Spot’ on dad and imagining that he will be there when I come back from living my life overseas. :wink:

In other dog news: A stray lurcher, named Red, learned how to unbolt his cage door at London’s Battersea Dogs’ Home. The pet would break out at night and then release other dogs.

Read more here

I don’t see how anyone can absolve the father of blame and guilt for dumping the dog in the manner that he did, regardless of whether the girl was at fault also.

Dogs are better than most people, and they don’t deserve to be treated in such a cruel fashion.

What dogs lack in brains, they more than make up for in heart. The worst part of incidents such as this, however, is knowing that the dog was not intelligent enough to know not to put all of his trust and faith in his humans.

Fuck that father.

I’m kind of curious how people would react to this story if the critter in question were a cat?