Father abandons dog in mountains while owner is away

Sorry, I respectfully disagree.

In matters of cultural differences, I’m very respectful.

In matters of cruelty that arise from either ignorance or callousness or both I’m not.

For example, in parts of Korea it is considered normal to eat dogs. While that is not my thing, I’m not going to campaign against it because meat is, after all, meat. Their dog is my cow and the Hindu’s goat, etc…

However, some Koreans feel that dogs taste better if they experience severe pain while dying. So, dogs are sometimes killed by being flayed alive, subjected to electric shocks, beaten, etc…

In this example, it is the torture that I would and do have a problem with.

Back to Taiwan: Ok, granted many people here don’t share my views on pets. Had the man ate the dog, we’d arguably be having a conversation about a cultural practice that conflicted with the daughter’s idea of having a pet. But, we’re not. No one here knows the economics involved with this family, nor do we know if baba grew up eating “fragrant meat” in the winters of his youth.

What we do know is he abandoned a dog in such a way that will almost certainly result in the dog’s death.

This is not cultural, nor is it excusable in the light of the average Taiwanese family’s income. It is wrong and cruel.

Your example of books and somehow comparing them with a sentient being is, well, hardly worth comment. But, I will let you know the next time I see a novel starving to death at the side of the road.

How do we know this?? What is the largest predatory animal on the island that might stalk and kill a dog? How many nights does it get below freezing in Taiwan? Are you absolutely certain that there was zero chances of anyone finding the dog or the dog finding a new home?

[quote]In matters of cultural differences, I’m very respectful.

In matters of cruelty that arise from either ignorance or callousness or both I’m not. [/quote]
Sorry but what constitutes cruelty is determined by culture - remember bullfighting, cockfighting, dogfighing…all these things are condemned by some cultures while praised or at least tolerated by others.

BTW wolf made the comments about the books…I only replied. I never compared a dog to a book.

What is this average income? Starting at NT$30,000 a month straight out of college only gives you about US$10,000 a year…slightly higher than poverty level in the U.S…why’s this considered great?

Vannyel,

I can only conclude you believe in the Walt Disney fantasy that pets can fend for themselves and will quickly adapt to life in the wild after spending their lives in a family home.

As such, I recommend you look into animal behaviour and needs.

Or, even easier, go read Tigerman’s post called “I found your dog today” a few pages back.

What is this average income? Starting at NT$30,000 a month straight out of college only gives you about US$10,000 a year…slightly higher than poverty level in the U.S…why’s this considered great?[/quote]

I think you’ve misinterpreted what I said here… But, the way I wrote it wasn’t too clear. I meant the income whether high or low, has no bearing on the moral implications of abandonment.

Look for all you hardheads who wannabe the next Johnnie Cochran, IT IS AGAINST THE LAW IN TAIWAN TO ABANDON PETS.

Now if the law don’t mean sh!t to you and you want to stand up for the right to commit such a heinous act because it’s your moral right to break hearts and inflict suffering :raspberry: , well don’t be looking for sympathy if it happens to you.

Eric: :notworthy:

I don’t really care about what happened to the dog, but I do think what the father did to his daughter was unforgiveable. He must have known she would be devastated. What a bastard.

Yep.

[quote]Animal Protection Law
Promulgated by the President on November 4, 1998
. . .
Chapter I. General Provisions
. . .
Article 3. Terms used in this Law are defined as follows:

Animals: Referring to dogs, cats, and other vertebrates raised or kept by human beings, including those for commercial use and laboratory use, pets, and other animals.
. . .
Keepers: Referring to the owners or persons actually taking care of animals.

Chapter II. General Protection of Animals
. . .
Article 5.
. . .
All animal keepers shall supply the animals in their care with adequate food, water, and living space. Safe and sanitary shelters with proper ventilation, lighting, and temperature shall also be provided, along with other suitable care. Animal keepers shall also avoid to harass, maltreat, or harm their animals.
Animal keepers may send their animals to shelters or locations specified by the competent organizations of special municipalities or counties (including provincial municipalities) for disposal, but they shall not abandon them outright. [/quote]
gio.gov.tw/info/98html/aplaw.htm

In a case of animal abuse, what steps should be followed?

I haven’t had many experiences with the police here, but of the ones I have had, I’m not too confident that they would do much to enforce the law.

Is there an animal protection agency phone number?

[quote]OK.
Here is the straight dope from the source:
When Mei was assigned to China, she discussed the issue of the dog with her parents and sister. Her sister wanted to take the dog to her house (Mei lived with her mother and father), but the mother said no. She liked the dog and wanted to keep it around the house.
The father, however, was not really keen on the dog, perhaps in part because it was sick with some form of epilepsy and had to take medicine twice a day.
The dog has some kind of sequela from being hit by a car. Mei took the dog in after it was hit; therefore, the dog was older than simply six years. The original owner didn’t want the dog after it was hit because he thought it would die. Mei nursed it back to health.
The dog was friendly and had a good temperament and the father used to take it for walks when it was healthier

Are you as dumb a fuck as you appear to be?

Cruelty is not determined by cultural tolerance. Would it be cruel to take you out to the middle of the fucking ocean on the pretense of having a cruise only to toss you overboard? Maybe most of us would praise this or at least tolerate seeing you scream for help. But, I’ll bet your dumb ass would feel we were being cruel.

In Taipei, there’s the Taipei Municipal Institute for Animal Health. The webpage at tmiah.tcg.gov.tw/html/english.jsp says they handle “Animal Protection Law education and enforcement, animal cruelty cases investigation,” and that the number to call about such matters is 02-87897131.

I don’t know about the other places, except that I think I briefly read something about Kaohsiung having an animal protection committee. I was browsing documents on Google, so I may have misread that one about Kaohsiung.

I also found some Taiwan NGOs on the Web that appear to have an interest in animal protection:

The Animal Protection Association of the ROC
中華民國保護動物協會
TEL: (02) 2931-8464

EAST
Environment and Animal Society of Taiwan
Mr Wu Hung
Fax: + 886 2 2239 7634
E-mail: eastmail@ms38.hinet.net

T-AARF
Taipei Abandoned Animal Rescue Foundation
Ms Mina Sharpe
Fax: + 886 2 873 1641
E-mail: sharptpe@yahoo.com

LCA
Life Conservationist Association
E-mail: lca@mail.lca.org.tw

Good point but maybe not blame-but fessin up to her responsiblity in it all. Oh wait, I’m in Taiwan… :noway:

Could be time for all the concerned waiguoren to mount a search party for the lost doggie.

I’m not joking when I say it might helpful to take one of these on such a search.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]Every one of you thinks the dad should be jailed?[/quote]Not me. From what wolf wrote, the poor guy is an epileptic, and he’s now apparently alienated from his family.

You mentioned people abandoning animals in the States. In Baton Rouge, there is/was (haven’t been there in a while) a group of women, nicknamed “the Cat Ladies,” who go/went to the LSU campus, and I guess to some other places around town, to feed the abandoned cats. I mention that by way of agreeing that there’s a considerable amount of abandonment of animals in the States.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]Maybe there’s more to this story then you realize.[/quote] Agreed, certainly. You sound like someone who’s had clients. :laughing:

It’s the poor dog that’s epileptic, not the rotten old git of a father.

And being in the doghouse at home is the very least that wicked bugger deserves.

[quote=“xp+10K”]
I’m not joking when I say it might helpful to take one of these on such a search.[/quote]

Anyone has one? If we could get something that the dog has slept upon or played with for some time, then it might work out.

We have to be fast though, as scent trails don’t last all that long.

:bravo: That’s the main point, IMHO.

Glad to hear posters have been put up. However, the most likely outcome of this is that he dog has been picked up and is being cared for by someone who will never read this thread or see a poster.

Here’s the dog again (click the pic for details in Chinese):

The dog’s name is Brother, and he will also respond if you call him Xiao Pang (Fatty). The owner says the dog has a chip but doesn’t give the number.

Or dress him in a santa suit, tie him to a stake at CKS memorial hall and hand out sharpened sticks? :wink:

The father is a fool, more stupid than cruel or evil, but I hope his family never let him forget it. I just wish the whole story didn’t sound so familiar.

On an animal-related note, I saw a small alligator being paraded round for the news cameras this morning, before being hacked up in front of children, who screamed in delight as its blood splashed them – delightful!

animalsasia.com/

I think the dog is somewhere, plotting his revenge a la Count of Monte Cristo. The whole thing is surprising since dogs seem to be well treated compared to most places I’ve been. A dog in Taipei can walk across the street and cars will stop for him; the sight of the pet shops is rather horrendous (I haven’t seen animals in cages for a long time), but dogs seem to eat well and participate in urban society, lounging around food stalls and such. In Latin America kids routinely throw rocks at dogs and no one stops for them in the streets.
This reinforces my conviction that the dog, being dissed so blatantly, can only save face by mauling the bastard who left him out to dry. I also see myself investing in the movie rights.