Father status for unmarried couple having 1st baby in Taiwan

[quote=“zyzzx”]So does mean that if a foreign woman has a baby with a Taiwanese man, and they are not married, the baby will not be considered Taiwanese and won’t be eligible for citizenship?
Just curious if it goes the other way as well.[/quote]
Under the law it doesn’t matter if the father or mother is Taiwanese. For a child to be a Taiwanese citizen at least one parent needs to be Taiwanese at the time of it’s birth. So, if the mother is a foreigner and the father is Taiwanese the child is considered to be Taiwanese and vice versa. If they aren’t married, that’s where the problem will come in, however, as far as I understand it, if the Taiwanese father claims paternity the child will be considered Taiwanese.
I could be wrong, though.

[quote=“bismarck”]
My son (like myself) has his mother’s family name in Chinese…[/quote]

Does your wife have any brothers? I’m reading through old threads and keeps seeing stuff like - “If the mother of a child has no brothers and if the father consents, the child can use the mother’s surname.”

but then i see references to naming laws being changed etc. It really does get confusing sometimes. :s

a.

[quote=“Askr”][quote=“bismarck”]
My son (like myself) has his mother’s family name in Chinese…[/quote]

Does your wife have any brothers? I’m reading through old threads and keeps seeing stuff like - “If the mother of a child has no brothers and if the father consents, the child can use the mother’s surname.”

but then i see references to naming laws being changed etc. It really does get confusing sometimes. :s

a.[/quote]
Yes, she has a brother. But that’s not why we used her Chinese name. In Taiwan, you must have a legal Chinese name for things like household registration, children’s names etc. Now, if I just used some made up name vaguely resembling my real English name for myself and “passed it on” to my son, that would be ridiculous IMVHO. So I opted to take her name.
Also, because I have a foreign passport, as does my son (along with his birth certificate from South Africa, which I applied for via the SA trade office in Taipei after he was born) his name in English/pinyin on his Taiwanese passport and anywhere where they write the Chinese name in pinyin isn’t the pinyin for his Chinese name. They use his English name instead.
So, both of us have official Chinese names (his mother’s family name) and English names (my family name) on all official documents.

Makes sense to me.

Can anyone refer a lawyer that has experience in child custody cases between Taiwanese and foreigners?

Question here, my girlfriend and I also had a baby recently, and the parents have been rejecting the idea of marriage. Now that the baby is born and he is a boy, her family got super excited, came, and told me that I have no rights because I didn’t marry her. They pushed me to accept the name that they have thought of (I am of Chinese descent, but living in other countries), instead of my family name rules. They said that if we name the kid with my family name (including the second character), that will make her look like my concubine (because I am a divorcee). Is any of this true?

They also start talking about how the kid should be educated, etc.

9 posts were merged into an existing topic: Child Born in USA to American/Taiwanese: Father/Register in Taiwan