Favorite guitarist?

He (Santana) just never gave me a hard-on. I can’t really explain it. It’s music. :wink:

Santana has never done it for me either, but I can appreciate his talent.
And he’s obviously got a huge following.

A lot of people often dismiss the greatness of a groundbreaking or talented musician because by they time they’ve actually heard something by that musician, they’ve already heard so much hype and so many imitations and variations (sometimes improvements) on what that musician started that it’s hard to appreciate their greatness objectively, much less enjoy the music itself.

Maybe that’s why people here are calling Clapton, et al “tired dogs”?

I’m not a diehard Clapton fan but I wouldn’t call him a tired dog either.
Many of his recordings with the Bluesbreakers and Cream justify his reputation as a guitar god–innovative, passionate playing that’s never sloppy, even at high speed. If you only know him from his laidback 70’s work and beyond, you owe it to yourself to give his early work a listen.

In the end, it’s totally subjective as to what we like and don’t like.

I like Black Sabbath’s early albums a lot, but I’d actually never heard anything by them until I was in my late 20’s because I’d always associated their music with these dickheads at my highschool who wore Black Sabbath T-shirts and didn’t bathe very often. I thought if they liked Black Sabbath, then the music must be shit. And I also tuned out a lot of great music simply because so many people said it was so great, like the Beatles, the Sex Pistols, Nirvana–I didn’t really listen to any of these for years. In the end, they still aren’t my cup of tea but I can’t deny their influence or talent or why so many people like them and consistently list them as masters at what they did.

Buddy Guy-

he has inspired many of the greats. clapton, beck & page attribute much of their play to him.

Tom Morello-

what an innovator. a bright guy with unflinching intensity.

Ben Harper-

maybe not the most technically sound but plays with a lot of heart. one of the few who has successfully integrated the Weissenborn into modern rock.

Dan Auerbach-

his gritty playing is the backbone of The Black Keys. if you haven’t heard of them, get your ass in gear and check them out…very exciting stuff.

Duane Allman was the one I was trying to be when I first started to play.
It’s a shame the good die so young.

Izzy Stradlin because Guns N Roses wasn’t the same without him. His playing was never over the top, fitted with the song and he wrote kick ass songs.

Sabicus

We’re still on the 's’es?
Segovia

1 Like

Sebaceous

The smirking chimp:

John Sebastian

Paul Simon

Hound Dog Taylor
Bo Diddley
Lou Reed
Mick Ronson
Guitarwolf
Brian Setzer

Al Dimeola

George Thorogood is pretty damn good.

georgethorogood.com/www/

[quote=“Comrade Stalin”]George Thorogood is pretty damn good.

georgethorogood.com/www/[/quote] He would tell you he’s not good. He’s bad to the bone.

I really wish I’d seen him live many years ago when I had the chance.

[quote=“Matchstick_man”][quote=“Comrade Stalin”]George Thorogood is pretty damn good.

georgethorogood.com/www/[/quote] He would tell you he’s not good. He’s bad to the bone.

I really wish I’d seen him live many years ago when I had the chance.[/quote]

What’s up with him now? Can one still see him play? Hope this isn’t a stupid question. He rocks.

[quote=“Matchstick_man”][quote=“Comrade Stalin”]George Thorogood is pretty damn good.

I really wish I’d seen him live many years ago when I had the chance.[/quote]
Not true. He’s not bad to the bone. He’s b-b-b-bad to the b-b-b-bone.

Ok, now I understand. :slight_smile: I bought Beano and it just arrived today in the mail. Wow, great stuff. Raw screaming guitar licks and vocals from a young guy full of energy and a band that sounds like they’re having a great time, not like Clapton’s more recent stuff that sounds like an old man who’s played the same tunes a few thousand times and laid down the tracks in a plush studio where all the rough edges have been eliminated. Beano’s good. Love that harmonica too, on Parchman Farm for instance, and the wailing sax at the start of Have you Heard (though Clapton’s hot licks soon blow the sax away). Thanks for the great tip. :beatnik:

Robert Fripp
Steve Hackett
Jimmy Page
Steve Vai

Favorite guitarist?
For me, they come and go. Currently it’s Norman Blake.
The album Whiskey Before Breakfast on Rounder (1976) is especially good. He’s been the back-up guitarist for many folks, including “The Man in Black” :sunglasses: , but here he’s on his own and solo, except for one or two cuts with another guitar behind him.

1 Like