Lenny Kaye ‘25th Floor’
Mississipi john Hurt 'Stack’o lee blues"
Vini Reilly ‘Otis’
Frank Zappa ‘Watermelon in Easter Hay’
PJ Harvey 'Hook"
Thurston Moore First bit of ‘Purr’
Bernard Butler first bit of 'So Young"

The guy from the Wedding Present for being fast. Johnny Marr always

Richard Thompson is the Fairport Convention guy, no? Kewl.

Too many to list, too many ‘whys’…

I’ve always liked David Gilmour’s playing. Not the most virtuostic guitarist, but very melodic.

Oh, I don’t want to leave out a perennial favorite of mine, and one of the biggest influences on Clapton et al. It’s the Texas Cannonball:
freddiekingsite.com

I enoy a lot of the favorites mentioned, so here is a list of some other favorites of mine.
I like another King, Albert King, about equally well.
Magic Sam
Leo Nocentelli: worked with The Meters among others.
Evan Johns (Evan Johns and the H-Bombs)
Taj Mahal Acoustic or electric, he’s mighty fine. I especially like De 'ole folks at home and Giant step albums
Roy Nichols: Merle Haggard’s guitar player for years and years. He’s a team player and can turn on a dime… no grandstanding or endless noodling.
Clarence White: played for the Byrds alongside Gram Parsons for a while, and with Gene Parsons in Nashville West, and with the White Brothers. Made the “b-bender” famous and used it to great effect in his work. Also a very handy flatpicker. Died tragically in 1970.
Clarence “Gatemouth” Brown, who checked out recently. He was a great bandleader, and also played fiddle at times.
Rick Miller of Southern Culture on the Skids: just for fun.
Django Reinhardt
Charles Sawtelle of Hot Rize, sadly deceased
The Reverend Gary Davis
I 'm not a Jerry Garcia fan per se, but I have huge respect for his encyclopedic knowledge of interesting old covers. The Garcia/Grisman stuff is fun to listen to for that reason. Researching the original versions of Dead covers can lead you to a lot of interesting stuff.
Frank Zappa: He’s much more than a guitar player, he once called himself a composer who operates an instrument called a guitar. Add to that job description independent record producer, recording engineer, and classical composer. I still have my Zappa for President bumpersticker somewhere.

Jimmy Page
The Edge

Hendrix

in no order…

John Squire
Kevin Shields
Nels Cline
Lee Renaldo
Jay Bennet
Leadbelly
Robert Johnson
Jim O’Rourke
Mick Taylor (on Stones records)
Nick Drake
Steve Cropper
Clarence White
Eric Ambel
Marky Nevers
Nick McCabe
Neil Young

I care not for speed or technique but rather expression and emotion.

I was wondering if anyone would mention Robert Fripp. Well, NeonNoodle did :bravo:

[quote=“NeonNoodle”]Robert Fripp
Steve Hackett
Jimmy Page
Steve Vai[/quote]

Robert Johnson (Taught by the devil hisself)

Hounddog Taylor (extra digit gonna git it!)

Steve Rothery - marillion.

Incredibly smooth solo’s, moody, nothing too out of the ordinary. Not boastful.

Here’s one that I’ve never seen a discussion about–best rhythm guitar. No one ever seems to notice them. (Poor guys.) Maybe there’s just not that much to discuss. I can’t think of many offhand. Bob Weir and Ron Wood come to mind.

In no particular order.

Stevie Ray Vaughan
Eddie Van Halen
Hendrix
Jimmy Page
Clapton
Keef
Ronnie Wood
David Gilmour
Buddy Guy
Pete Townshend
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
The Edge
John Butler
Michael Bloomfield
Robbie Krieger
Peter Green

N: on the contrary, I think that there is a lot to discuss about rhythm guitarists. I guess it really depends on your perspective. Personally I give a big so what for thems that need someone else to set’em up so that they can knock’em down. I have much more respect for players that can multi-task and who have an economical style.
Here’s my nomination for a great rhythm guitarist: Steve Cropper.

I’m sitting here listening to Procol Harum’s A Salty Dog…damn! I’d forgotten how good Robin Trower was/is. Fantastic work…and Juicy John Pink is unreal. Kickass guitar.

trowerpower.com/
home.ca.inter.net/~suth/trower/procol.html

wildly off topic…but can any of u axeheads help a poor bear…im racking my brains trying to figure out a riff from claptons change the world…the little sign off descending thingy at the end of the bridge going b-a home to e…he doubles it with voice and loops it second time around. its very cool but im too useless to work it out…

I’d like to throw Wes Montgomery and Grant Green in. Stanley Jordan is also interesting to listen to.

Honest, you don’t have to like country to like this guy. He cites Hank Williams, Dick dale and Jimi Hendrix as major influences, and he carries the whole show with vocals, steel, and guitar.

[quote=“Jerry Garcia in Ruben and Cerice”]
Each note cut a thread of Cerise’s fate
The voice of Cerise from the face of the mandolin[/quote]

[quote=“plotch”]Oh, I don’t want to leave out a perennial favorite of mine, and one of the biggest influences on Clapton et al. It’s the Texas Cannonball:
freddiekingsite.com[/quote]

Freddie King was a huge influence for Jerry Garcia. JG loved the way FK played.

Buck Owens also had a slick way of playing.

T-man
I’ve always been impressed with Mr Garcia’s wide range of influences and interests. It would be interesting to see a list of just how many musicians/bands that would be exactly.

[quote=“Shin-Gua”]Phillip Catherine :bravo:
Larry Coryell :bravo:
Al Dimeola :bravo:
Sabicus :bravo:
Wes Montgomery :bravo:
Kenney Burrell :bravo:
Me Too :raspberry:
You are pretty good :laughing:[/quote]

I vote for Kenny Burrell as well. He’s great!
plus:

Carlos Santana
Edward VAN HALEN