FIFA World Cup 2018

Give it ten years.
Parents nowadays are less and less signing up their children for tackle football, because of all the ex-NFLers and brain injuries.
Soccer much much more popular for summer camps.
For tackle football, sign-ups are lagging so much that they are setting up flag football leagues instead for kids.

yeah, there is a movement to delay the introduction into tackle football from the game side (not from the parent side, although as you say it’s strong there, too).

CTE is killing the NFL, and the league doesn’t seem interested in fixing things anytime soon. That has to help soccer in the US, agreed.

France vs Argentina early game tonight. Pretty big clash.

One key problem with US soccer is it’s currently perceived as a white sport. If they can broaden its appeal then I reckon they’ll soon be world beaters.

Import more African players to the US! Some are darn good players.

The US team didn’t do bad in 2014.

WC 2014

Yes, that game is rightly to be called ‘hand-spheroid’, or perhaps ‘hand, foot and prolate elipsoid’?

I have reduced interest for this world cup as my country is not qualified, and my country of actual residence has sorted in much disgrace.

Italia and Deutschland?

Yes I am in Germany now. The football ambiance is not very elevated.

I see two websites that should have tonight’s game:
First one is CTS website.
Second one is ELTA. It is actually showing its live broadcast now.

https://event.cts.com.tw/2018FIFA/

2 Likes

Well that was fun. Looks like France has come to life. Shame to see Messi lose in what may be his last WC game.

I thought Argentina got manhandled. France’s size and aggression took 'em through. Oh and their speed up front, too.

1 Like

With a bit of help from Mbappe Great game, France looking very strong.

1 Like

Best WC ever.

Yeah, the Argentina foul that set up France’s first (penalty shot) goal, Mbappe just kicked the ball up into the penalty box and dared the Argentina defender to get there first. That’s not a foot race Mbappe will lose very often, it seems.

Just read that Mbappe was born on December 20, 1998 - roughly six months after France last won the WC. He’da still been wearing onesies when we went through the lunacy of Y2K. :eek:

Man, am I old.

Great game and a cracking world cup so far.

But a shame Argentina and Germany out

1 Like

Except for this…

2 Likes

Messi is an awesome footballer. I do think his reputation has been tarnished , not much he could have done. This clip is funny … i have pity but can still see this as tragically funny.
https://www.facebook.com/dinh.vietnamnet/videos/1858965880806661/

Messi’s assist on their last score right before time ran out was rather a sweet pass.

On the other hand, glad to see Renaldo have to get on an early plane ticket out of Russia.
Now, if Brazil can just lose to Mexico, then we’ll really have a very, very interesting world cup champion.

1 Like

if by “interesting” you mean a free pass for FrAnce, sure[