FIFA World Cup 2018

ABB. Anybody But Brazil

not

The France-Argentina game was the most exciting one Iā€™ve seen live this WC. Fell asleep before Portugal-Uruguay though. Bummer.

1 Like

I stayed up till the end of Portugal-Uruguay, paying for that decision today. Not as exciting as the earlier match, but still very good. Uruguayā€™s Cavani limped off the field (on Ronaldoā€™s shoulder), not sure what the hell happened. BBC says it was a hammy, but on the sideline last night Cavani was wrapping his calf. Uruguay must be trying to play things close to the vest?

What the hell is up with Ronaldo? When he had possession he would pop up and do a whirly-gig thing with his legs, trying to feint the defender. It never worked on Uruguay, even once. Kind of a weird ballerina move that futzed. Iā€™ve never seen him do that so much. Heā€™s only 33, but maybe itā€™s a sign of age that he would resort first to trickery. Anyway, Ronaldo was pretty much a non-factor in the match.

1 Like

Tired, too many games during regular season and Champions League

1 Like

Hoping Edinson Cavaniā€™s injury is not too serious and he can play against France, what a fantastic player!

Maybe Ronaldoā€™s last World Cup Iā€™m thinking (looking him up I see he was born in ā€˜85, so I guess itā€™d have to be). He seems to have lost whatever magic he once had. That pulling his shorts up so he wedgies his crotch before taking a shot poseur routine reminds me why I donā€™t like him. OTOH, it was decent of him helping Cavani off the field. I always like it when opposing teams act decent towards one another. Thought France and Argentina were going to come to actual blows on a couple occasions towards the end of the match.

Predicting Brazil to win the world cup, which would be the most boring result for me, rooting for France and England.

1 Like

It would be amazing if Mexico beat Brazil.

South Korea did manage to best Germany, so who knows.

If Belgium passes Japan, theyā€™ll go for 1st.

Yeah, it was weird. It was a super muggy, no-breeze evening in Sochi (so said the commentator) and I can understand hitching wet drawers up so they donā€™t bind the kick, but I didnā€™t see anybody else do that.

There were a couple players for Uruguay who cramped up very late in the match, the players were just sopping wet, and players on both sides were slipping on the turf throughout the match. The conditions were pretty miserable in Sochi last night.

Lucky for Russia, they had an own-goal and now tied it up on a hand-ball foul.

It was clearly ball to hand. Not sure why it wasnā€™t VAR. Spain are right to feel aggrieved.

2 Likes

Whatever tonightā€™s result, Spain arenā€™t going to win the WC playing like this.

Yeah, Spain are more tentative, less dominant.

Anybody else staying up for Croatia-Iceland? Spain-Russia are going to extra time, the action may be nearly continuous until at least 4am.

Rain pissing down. 40 mins into overtime. This is insane.

75% possession then lose on penalties?

The ref has made a lot of calls that seem to favor Russia as wellā€¦ :thinking:

Fugging great game.
Good on yah, Russkies
Glad I stayed up for it.

Announcers saying it was 3rd biggest upset in WC history, and biggest upset in any knockout round history.

Evidently so. Somebody(s) in Spain are probably not going to have a good summer. Amazing result.

The Russia penalty was muffed, it was definitely ball to hand. Still, hats off to Russia. They held their nerve in the end, and Spain did not. Not what I expected.

eta: Was there a rule change? I seem to remember that extra time was 30 minutes, not 15. Or am I wrong?