FIFA World Cup 2018

it was 30mins. They played two 15 minutes of extra time, for a total of 120mins in the game (including over-time).

But my memory is that it was two 30-minute extra periods for a total time of 2.5hrs. I seem to remember lots and lots of cramping at the end of the second extra period, but that happened a bit in this game, too.

The way Spain were playing it was always a strong possibility. The refereeing was debatable, yes, but they shouldn’t have allowed the possibility. 75% possession FFS

So far, this has to go down as one of the most interesting WCs ever.

1 Like

So the borscht eaters beat the paella eaters. Not the result I wanted, but I can’t deny this is certainly the most interesting WC in a long time.

1 Like

The way things have gone, I half expect Mexico to beat Brazil.

ABB

It’s been a great World Cup. I’m amazed that it’s run as smoothly as it has. Russians aren’t known for their administrative skills, but they’ve put on a helluva show.

Wasn’t 2002 WC also kind of crazy? Or was it ‘98… which was probably the first one I watched? What was the last really good one?

'98 was the year Italy won when an Italian said some things to France’s Zidane (just resigned as manager of Real Madrid) about his sister, Zidane head-butted the Italian in the chest, the Italian flopped (as per usual), Zidane got red-carded, and Italy went on to win with France short-handed. In the final. Pretty wild result.

eta: all right, it’s official my memory is fucked. That was the 2006 WC, not 1998. I guess I am going to have to wiki everything from now on. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

No, dude. That was 2006.

edit: haha, no worries. I remember seeing that live. Total “wtf” moment. Yes, the final match was memorable in ‘06, but I think the rest was business as usual.

1 Like

For England fans of a certain age it was 1990. In reality there were only 2 goals per match and the final was shite. We had Gazza, though.

Another cracking game. What a WC!

Well, if this pace keeps up Denmark-Croatia are going to set a scoring record.

What a first four minutes.

4 mins and then nothing until penalty shootout. Nuts.

It was ball to hand, but his hand had no business being up there “fishing” for a potential ball he couldn’t see. The refs are looking for “unnatural” position of the hand, and that was clearly the case here.

An own goal evened out by a wannabe volleyball player…lyl

It would be cool to se Russia winning it all at home!

Good point. My initial feeling was that it was a harsh decision, but as you say his arm was in an unnatural position. Handball laws are tricky.

Didn’t make it past half-time in Croatia-Denmark. Sleep happened. :sleeping:

Somebody upthread (hannes?) observed that Croatia plays aggressively. Saw that last night in the lines of their passing, in the first half anyway.

Interesting result in that quarter of the 16-team bracket, Western Europe losing to Eastern Europe.

Watched the highlights. Standard of shooting was on a par with an under-tens Sunday school match. Truly abysmal. People falling over trying to kick the ball. One goal scored thanks to a defender attempting a clearance and pole-axing his own player. :laughing: