Filing Taxes in 2022

I used the phone option this year (which has new support for self-entry) and was done in 5 minutes. Verification is done through your mobile provider so there’s no messing with NHI passwords or card readers.

1 Like

Went on Monday to tax office. It was alright.

1 Like

Will this saga be printed as a small children’s novel? Would like to read it to my future kids some day.

1 Like

@discobot fortune

You’ve disabled me in your preferences. You need to allow new user onboarding tips to interact with me.

7 Likes

Wow, spurned by a robot… :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

@discobot fortune

:crystal_ball: Reply hazy, try again

1 Like

@discobot fortune

:crystal_ball: As I see it, yes

4 Likes

Don’t be a tease, @discobot.

@discobot fortune

1 Like

:crystal_ball: Signs point to yes

1 Like

Things are looking good for my children’s novel

1 Like

When going to tax office also change the NHI password to something simple like your birthday (e.g. 19851225). You need to tell it to the worker who does your tax submission. Afterwards you can change the password back to something more safe.

When I went to the tax office I didn’t have my new NHI card yet, and the old one wouldn’t let them log in. They also couldn’t get in with the access code they generated. Not sure how they did it in the end but they didn’t need my NHI password luckily. Good tip for the future though

I went in person this morning to Taipei City’s Tax Bureau on Zhonghua Road steps from Beimen MRT Station. There were quite a lot of people, more than usual at this early stage in the filing period, but I was able to get out of there in about an hour. Great staff, as usual, who politely helped to correct my form in my favour. Imagine that in Canada (NOT!).

Guy

2 Likes

My (now previous) employer has provided totally bogus figures for my employment there, reporting only 2/3 of my income (which wasnt much, as i only arrived and began working in May 2021).

Without telling me, they have deliberately underreported and have asked me to just confirm the number they reported.

I repeatedly established with them prior to all this that I have a record of my payslips with all of the tax witholding amounts, NHI etc, and they confirmed they would be reporting the correct amount.

What should I do? Although the outcome will be the same (I will likely have nothing to pay), I am not sure I am comfortable with this.

To clarify, I found this out using the efiling system.

Hi,

Just to ask, what do you take to provide income info when you physically go to the offices? Your pay slips?

I take it this will be the first time you file taxes in Taiwan, right?

First step: which jurisdiction are you residing in? That’ll affect which tax office you should be dealing with.

Second step: visit the relevant tax office and ask for your income details, which they can print up for you. (Of course bring relevant ID such as an A(P)RC and your passport.) Get the relevant forms (the key factor here is if you are a tax resident who spent 183 days in Taiwan during the 2021 taxation year—if so, you can use the resident form with deductions of various kinds and a progressive tax rate; if not, then you’ll be taxed at a flat rate, using a simpler form). Go and fill out the forms to the best of your ability. Return to the office and file. Done!

Guy