Finding white-collar jobs in TW for Filipinos

does he has dual nationality, so you have a work right? Or, do you need a work permit? What and how you can/must do are largely different by it.

1 Like

Weird, if he’s an American then how come you have a JFRV? As I know foreigners here can only get up to an APRC, which is permanent residency. Very few get dual citizenship, one usually has to renounce their citizenship to become Taiwanese. JFRV are only for spouses who married a Taiwanese.

This is important to check because you might not have a JFRV, rather a dependent visa or ARC. Check with the NIA or the Labor Office. I’m not sure if you can just find work without the employer sponsoring a work permit for you.

1 Like

he could be an ABT with hukou.

Spouses of foreigners on ARC get Resident Visa for the purpose of Joining Family too, though JFRV is mostly used to mean resident visa/ARC for a spouse of a Taiwanese citizen on this forum.

4 Likes

What Tando said above.

Also, just because I’m really itching to say this, employers here do not discriminate white-collar jobs against Filipinos. As long as you are legally able to do the work, as long as you meet the requirements, they will hire you. Just because most Filipinos do blue-collar jobs doesn’t mean they don’t hire Filipinos for white-collar ones.

Just find a job that’ll take you and you can take. You being a Filipino doesn’t matter. It’s your legal status to work that matters, and that’s not a motherhood statement. That’s what Taiwanese employers actually consider.

TBH, I’ve said this much because I have an issue with this thread’s title. I don’t like this kind of blue-collar vs white-collar shenanigans within the Filipino community. It’s like hey, I’m Pinoy but don’t mix me with the blue-collar ones because [insert reasons why I’m an office worker and don’t work in the factory or as a caregiver]! Sorry for that brutal honesty. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Yes. This is true. Anyone can tey and do anything. See above post. Peoples choices are their own. Including this filipino person chosing their own thread title.

Lots of opportunity in taiwan actually. But there are layers of rules thatmake it more time consuming for sure.

And yes. Foreigners with aprc can have their spouse apply for jfrv. Have a few friends, 1 american, with aprc and their husbands/wives got jfrv based on that. There did seem to be some differences and restrictions though in comparison to a taiwanese spouse with ID.

pretty close but not exactly correct.

though off topic, every foreigner whose residency is supported by a spouse gets JFRV/ARC (resident visa/certificate for the purpose of joining family). It doesn’t depend on the status of the sponsoring spouse (foreigner/nwohr/citizen, arc/aprc/tarc, work/study/investment etc.).

If sponsoring spouses fulfill some requirements, sponsored spouses have work right, or can apply for open work permit, or can get work permit for part-time specialized and technical work.

1 Like

I partially understand both. A poster who says filipino nationality might get many recommendations of factory jobs or home helper jobs if white-collar is not mentioned, which a poster who says American nationality usually wouldn’t get.

I think it’s an important distinction because the person asking is living with her husband, and unless I’m wrong the blue-collar jobs require workers to either live in a dorm or live in the home of the person they are caring for.

What kind of work is that, those listed in chapter 2, article 4 here?
https://law.moj.gov.tw/ENG/LawClass/LawAll.aspx?pcode=N0090031

If so, they applicant would need to be an expert or have special skills in a small list of fields. I looked further down in the act, and the qualifications are restrictive for each job.

What requirements are those, being a foreign senior professional? That’s a hard qualification to fulfill.

I hate to post so often, but it seems that a foreign-language tour guide is an achievable option. One needs only have a high school degree. While there’s no category for Filipino (though there is for Thai, Vietnamese and other SEA languages), there is for English. It looks like the only qualifications are having a high school degree and passing an examination. However, I can’t figure out if the exam is in English, but it seems that it is, or if Chinese ability is required. And looking at the qualifications, it looks like an applicant must pass an exam, take a 98 class training at some other institution (not of the language involved), and then pass another exam. That seems odd.
This is the link for the laws for tour guide qualifications:
https://law.moj.gov.tw/ENG/LawClass/LawAll.aspx?pcode=K0110003

Does anyone know more about become a tour guide without speaking Chinese?

examples of exam are here.

Some subjects in Chinese and a foreign language exam. Foreigners are allowed to answer in English, but it seems they should read Chinese questions for Chinese subjects. You may ask them.

Ok, it looks like there’s 4 sections to the test and only 1 is in English. The history one is crazy hard. One sample question was who promoted brushing teeth among Indigenous Taiwanese. Any guesses? It was the police.
I think this one is out for non-Chinese speakers. And non-history experts.

1 Like

2 others in that qualification are manufacturing and wholesale. These are the job descriptions:

That’s pretty broad. Consultation could mean a lot of things. But then there’s these requirements:

There are no certificates for manufacturing or wholesale, so the applicant would need to have a master’s or bachelor’s with 2 years of experience.

They don’t make it easy.

1 Like

I agree with what has been posted already - being Filipino per se does not qualify or disqualify anyone from executive or professional positions. What seems to have been critical to the Pinoys in Taiwan in such positions who I have known over the years has been, first, what skills and experience they have had (how much of a “fit” they have been) and, then, second, solid Mandarin language abilities so they can interact and manage those whose English is not that great.

When I first got here in the 90’s, the most senior level Filipinos I knew who were not either diplomats or missionaries were senior partners in TN Soong (then the SGV/Arthur Andersen affiliate) and PWC. Obviously, they fell in the “fitness” category. When I went to business school in 2001, I was one of 3 in our class who commuted to Singapore from Taiwan, and 2 of us were Filipinos who had lived in Taipei for 8 years. My kababayan classmate was fluent in Mandarin and had risen to Director level in Acer, directly reporting to Stan Shih himself iirc. Apparently, my friend hit a ceiling, and after we graduated, relocated to Singapore – a choice I thought about breifly at that time, although I was keen to move to Malaysia instead. Only later did I redirect myself to healthcare and China.

For those of us who don’t have the advantages of any “special fit or role” or a solid Mandarin language base, we seem to set up our own business or consulting practice. As already mentioned.

So my advice to @Orangeday is to do what anyone would do who needs to hustle a job: network and demonstrate what you bring to the table to people and partners who you want to work with. Being Filipino probably means it will be a bit harder to get a teaching job that pays well while you plot your next career move – and when I was an English teacher in the 1990s I knew Filipinos who taught English here despite the visa requirements because they were good teachers – their situation was like that of Europeans who were also left out in the cold when the “English speaking country requirement” came about 25 years ago.

I am not plugged into the Fil-Chi (Filipino Chinese) network here. The people in that community who I’ve known seem to have started in blue collar positions and worked their way up or set down their own roots, setting up their own businesses, driving taxis and vans, or opening Filipino restaurants or bars that cater to the migrant community.

Since you have a specialized professional background, make sure you hit Southeast Asia headhunters and get to know people there (use LinkedIn) like HRnet One / PeopleSearch (I think those 2 firms are related to each other and target different levels of seniority). When I worked at CETRA, I unwittingly was placed by Manpower (that’s a long story, but I only found out Inwored for Manpower, Inc, on my last day at CETRA when I said I wanted a letter of reference; 3 years at an organization that I thought was paying my salary and I only discover when I leave that I’ve been a temp the whole time). Manpower normally places blue collar positions, so when I went there to ask for my letter, they referred me to Adecco, which had some kind of relationship with Manpower at the time – Adecco places white collar positions. It was on that unexpected visit to Adecco that I bumped into a guy I knew in college in New York, a Filipino-American, who was the head of IT for Adecco. How he got his position is a whole other rabbit hole.

If you go to a church or study in a school (where there could be a network of teachers and professors who operate off-campus as well), and you have the time, be active and help out on the pastoral council or in clubs or causes, if possible. When people like you and know you (i.e., what you can do), you put them in a position to help you.

That’s kinda my own story: I broke into GSK because I was tipped off by a consultant who was doing medical editing on the sly and needed a substitute editor fast when he got a career opportunity to move to Tianjin – we got to know each other because randomly I lived near his restaurant and happened to enjoy the food he cooked. At that point, I was working at CETRA in a position I landed through my roommates (again, people who knew me and were happy to work with me), and before that, I was working in equity research at Yuanta Secs (actually I was at Core Pacific before Yuanta ate them), a position which I found from the newspaper (the one time answering a job ad worked for me).

Since you are a Filipina, try to get friendly with the folks at MECO, the local staff who are settled here are probably even more useful to you than the diplomats who come and go. Participate in their events and offer to volunteer to support their events (OK, I have never done that myself but look for meaningful and sincere ways to help out – be careful, if anyone gets the impression you are just scamming for a job, you are likely to get unpopular quickly). I get the impression they have seen it all and done it all. And because they are settled here, they have figured Taiwan out in their own unique ways.

9 Likes

My two cents to add to Gus and others.
Learn Mandarin, learn Mandarin, learn Mandarin. Go full-time if your husband and you can afford it for a year. If not full time it is possible to study Chinese part-time too.

This depends on how long you want to stick around . Probably a lot longer than you planned like most of us !!
I always regretted not being able to learn Chinese earlier as it would have made my life easier and more comfortable in the first few years too.

Apart from the Filipino community you can probably network in other groups. They could be entrepreneurship or toastmasters or running or chambers of commerce.

Another one to look out for is is it possible to apply for a local masters and scholarship at some point?

Getting some local work experience will always stand to you the most, there are usually many jobs on 1111 and 104 , get your resume done with a short intro in Chinese as to your experience and get it uploaded. That’s where the motherload of regular jobs are. Even if you interview and don’t get the job they often will remember you in future.

But if you can afford it and sticking around you might focus on mandarin first.

2 Likes

Speaking very generally, it’s often difficult to break into white-collar jobs beyond teaching of you don’t have at least B2 or C1 level mandarin and an APRC/JFRV.

I spent years getting my Taiwanese passport and still have to use a Work Permit linked to my American passport (since I don’t have a household registration), only to be later told when I applied for a “Foreign Editor” job at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs that I was technically no longer American in the eyes of the government, and therefore not allowed to apply.

When I first graduated from my Master’s program, I ended up jobless for about 6 months. Simply, no engineering firms could hire me for the 48,000 required by law. Eventually made my way into teaching, but I’m tired of it now.

I’ve faced similar problems in international companies; if I apply as a Taiwanese citizen, a manager will inquire about my TOEFL scores to prove my English proficiency. If I apply as an American, they’ll ask me about my Chinese proficiency and require some kind of documentation.

2 Likes

Hello Orangeday where do you live? did you find a suitable job now? If not feel free to contact me. I might be able to help.

1 Like

Sent you a PM. Thanks! :slight_smile:

Hi, i’m a Filipino, i just want to ask if my arc type can change to arc type like white collar have? my arc type is foreign labor.
I’ve been working in a company for 8 years now as a marketing and graphic design supervisor. I have a bachelor’s degree of Computer Science major in graphic design.
My reason why i want to change my arc type is that i want to stay in Taiwan longer without limit of 12 years.
Foreign labor arc type is not eligible to have APRC, that’s why i want to change my arc type to white collar arc so i will be eligible for aprc.
Any comments and suggestions are all welcomed.
Thank you!

1 Like

iiuc,
Your ARC cannot be changed to other types of ARC without leaving Taiwan. You should once leave Taiwan and get an appropriate visa, then get a white collar ARC in Taiwan.

You may check with BOCA or NIA or WDA.