First date ideas?

I’ve been meeting lovely women like crazy lately through various channels and have been collecting phone numbers and trying to actually be charming and I even showered once…I’ve got a few tentative dates coming up and could use a refresher course.

What’s a good idea for a first date with a nice girl? I’m thinking activity based, with food and/ or coffee, refreshments, etc.

I’m going to the National Palace Museum with someone, going hiking, Bitan, Danshui, maybe a bike ride, and don’t have many other ideas.

I kind of like to make things a bit more interesting and hopefully don’t end up in the 2 hour movie trap without conversation thing. I really don’t know.

Apologies in advance. I couldn’t find an earlier thread about this.

I’d be a bit hesitant about physical exercise for a date (har har I can here the jokes now), because most Taiwanese girls abhorr sweat and sun and its unlikely their skinny legs have taken them any further than Mitsukoshi 10th floor.

If on the other hand they are into fitness (u lucky man), then by all means.

Otherwise, if you want a quiet coffee (best I’ve had in Taiwan) in a serene location thats easy to get to, I highly recommend:

Fortress Cafe:

Yan Ping nan lu No.98 Zhongshan hall 2F
延平南路98 號中山堂2 樓
TEL:02-23819551

I think the best dates are dates where there is not too much noise to talk but enough things to do that when the conversation dies there is no discomfort. I prefer dates like arcades and such. Or to go see a band play but there isn’t much conversation there.

But if canucktyuktuk is looking for a gal who’s not afraid of a bit of exercise, then a bike ride, badminton game, bowling etc. might be a good way to weed out the super lazy ones.

Don’t do spaghetti on the first date.

(Um, that is, don’t order spaghetti in an Italian restaurant for the purpose of eating it. Other uses are of course not expressly forbidden.)

Aren’t first dates supposed to be short - like one hour?

That way you get a good idea of whether you like each other, without having to endure a lengthier and more costly date, and you would both leave wanting more.

On my first date with SuchAFob, I took her to the movie theater, but only to see the commercials. It was perfect.

[quote=“Stray Dog”]Aren’t first dates supposed to be short - like one hour?

That way you get a good idea of whether you like each other, without having to endure a lengthier and more costly date, and you would both leave wanting more.

On my first date with SuchAFob, I took her to the movie theater, but only to see the commercials. It was perfect.[/quote]

Was that so you could see her in 2 places at once?

Well that would require that I had actually been there!

I agree with Stray Dog, best to keep the first date casual and low-key. Coffee/tea or a walk in the park - some low-pressure situation where you can have a bit of conversation.

Ice skating at the Taipei Arena

There’s swing at Capone’s on wed. nights, which is nice music even if you don’t get up and dance.

Lazertag in KMALL

You can do the paddleboats in Bitan. But that may be a bit too romantic for a first date. Haha. But supposedly dangerous places are supposed to make you more attracted to the person you meet, so you could also park yourself on that pedestrian suspension bridge and have a chat.

Try having it at a Tiffany’s window.

[quote=“canucktyuktuk”]I’ve been meeting lovely women like crazy lately through various channels and have been collecting phone numbers and trying to actually be charming and I even showered once…I’ve got a few tentative dates coming up and could use a refresher course.

What’s a good idea for a first date with a nice girl? I’m thinking activity based, with food and/ or coffee, refreshments, etc.

I’m going to the National Palace Museum with someone, going hiking, Bitan, Danshui, maybe a bike ride, and don’t have many other ideas.

I kind of like to make things a bit more interesting and hopefully don’t end up in the 2 hour movie trap without conversation thing. I really don’t know.

Apologies in advance. I couldn’t find an earlier thread about this.[/quote]

don’t waste your time, take her directly to a motel… :wink:

Jeeze, I could just go to a hotel by myself and make a few phone calls if it came to that.

LoL and the new avatar says all types of things. Whose Bad? Damn it nama I got that song in my head now.

I think a casual short date is always best. Coffee houses are great. If things go well you can always continue the date otherwise you can just cut out if you don’t click with the person. Sometimes that first one hour date can turn into the longest first date ever if you know what I mean. :wink:

Of course you have to have some game and lot of charm for that.

Might sound like a cliche to you but. I prefer having coffee. Its a perfect opportunity to know someone by having a good conversation in a simple coffee place.

The problem with coffee is that it kinda forces you into first-date-conversation, which I always find pretty tedious. Places with conversation built into them are better - markets, interesting parts of town, activities, heck even projects (volunteer work, for instance). That way you don’t have to make such an effort to be Interesting And Fun, and can just have a good time together.

1 Like

Hit a night market for shopping, games and food.

[quote=“Stray Dog”]Aren’t first dates supposed to be short - like one hour?

On my first date with SuchAFob, I took her to the movie theater, but only to see the commercials. It was perfect.[/quote]

Nah first dates are best done in the 3 hour love motels. At least you come out smelling clean before you go home.

[quote=“Tyc00n”]I’d be a bit hesitant about physical exercise for a date (har har I can here the jokes now), because most Taiwanese girls abhorr sweat and sun and its unlikely their skinny legs have taken them any further than Mitsukoshi 10th floor.

If on the other hand they are into fitness (u lucky man), then by all means. [/quote]

On the contrary, using this method I weeded out all the wussy ones who couldn’t even bench their own weight (I mean, seriously, feel the burn, woman). When my current gf on our second date climbed down a 100ft drop into a river with a bit of twine and shouted impatiently that I should hurry up because it was only a bit of water I knew it was meant to be.

So canucktyuktuk, care to at let us know where you went, what you did on your first date(s)?

Just curious if you took up any poster’s suggestions or winged it.