First thing I think on seeing Western guy with Taiwan girl

[quote=“stragbasher”]When I introduce my gf to foreigners they usually say something like “Oh, that’s a nice name. Did you choose it yourself?” and look at me as if to say “can’t you find a western woman, loser?”

Then she says “No, my mother chose it for me when I was born.” And I say “She’s American”, and there’s kind of an unconfortable moment because some assumptions that had been made have been disproved.

I try not to think anything when I see two people together because I don’t know what their story is.[/quote] I can relate to this, in a sense. I met my Taiwanese gf in the U.S. I’ve never even been to Taiwan and, until recently, I have been completely ignorant of this so-called “Charisma Man” phenomenon that exists on the island.

But I

When I see a hideous-looking guy or a guy who is acting like an insecure asshole with a reasonable-looking Taiwanese girl I think, “Wow, she must really want a passport.”

Flame me. I don’t care.

:idunno:

I think you need to look at this in perspective. I mean, take the Philippines, for instance. Now that truly is a country where any white man with a pulse can pick up the most unbelievably gorgeous senorita in town. I hear that Japan is a gaijin’s dating heaven as well. Thailand, Indonesia - ditto; in my experience, I’ve had to fight them off with a stick. Women from those countries have serious white boy fever. Taiwanese gals? Nah. I can honestly say I don’t notice any increased/decreased level of sexual attractiveness towards me here in Taiwan, compared to the way it was for me back in the States.

Hong Kong, on the other hand, is supposed to a tough place to pick up the local women - more competition and the Cantonese ‘attitude’.

Could be he’s looking for an ARC. :wink:

Beauty is definitely different here than back in the States. Size 0-1 anything above that and a girl is considered to fat. Oh well women were always a slave to fashion.

Could be he’s looking for an ARC. :wink: [/quote]

AC! More humour!

:laughing:

Yeah, I asked mine, and she said she didn’t want a SAfrican one.

She says it’s because I’m tall, and she wants a cute baby. Everyone else forgot that when judging the shallowness of Taiwanese women, and their need to draw attention to themselves and stand apart from the crowd.

I didn’t think that guys with ‘yellow fever’ had girlfriends. I thought they just hit the club looking to dip their sticks. Interesting that people openly admit to jumping to conclusions based on outward appearances.

I guess gay Taiwanese are more desperate. :stuck_out_tongue: I’ve seen a number of white/asian same-sex pairings in Taiwan where the local guy, if not gorgeous, is on a higher “attractiveness-level” then the white guy. The white guys are often significantly older, scraggly, fat, etc… :astonished: My partner and I the exception, of course, as we are both gorgeous. :wink: :laughing:

Of course, that is my opinion. I truly think that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. After listening to my friends, both gay & straight talk about someone they think is gorgeous or watching them point and say, “Damn he (she) is hot!” I’ve decided they are either off their nut or just have significantly different tast than me. :unamused:

So… who knows why someone is dating someone else and to place our judgement on that relationship – gold digger, green card digger, rice queen, etc. – is just… well… stupid. Though, I must admit I do it to, thinkikng, “Ah, honey, no… no… why are you dating HIM!!! Are you that desperate for a white guy???”

Sigh

[quote=“QuietMountain”]

I guess gay Taiwanese are more desperate. :stuck_out_tongue: I’ve seen a number of white/Asian same-sex pairings in Taiwan where the local guy, if not gorgeous, is on a higher “attractiveness-level” then the white guy. The white guys are often significantly older, scraggly, fat, etc… :astonished: My partner and I the exception, of course, as we are both gorgeous. :wink: :laughing: [/quote]

Are you kidding me? Some of the Taiwanese guys are as big of nasty losers as the white guys they are with. Factor in their education levels and family clout, and they are certainly no prize. (with the exception of your and your partner, of course, as you are both gorgeous).

I can remember a lot of gay friends used to rip on every Chinese chick they’d see with a white guy–not rip on the foreign guy, but the chick. “God she’s low class, look at her clothes, what a whore, etc., etc.” Shallow jealous BS. I’ve also known some girls who admitted they would date foreign men just so they could keep getting free English lessons.

It doesn’t really seem that the free English lessons, stepping stone to a foreign country, etc., relationship factor pertains to the straight couples I know, but a lot of the gay ones seem like that.

[quote=“Flicka”][quote=“QuietMountain”]

I guess gay Taiwanese are more desperate. :stuck_out_tongue: I’ve seen a number of white/Asian same-sex pairings in Taiwan where the local guy, if not gorgeous, is on a higher “attractiveness-level” then the white guy. The white guys are often significantly older, scraggly, fat, etc… :astonished: My partner and I the exception, of course, as we are both gorgeous. :wink: :laughing: [/quote]

Are you kidding me? Some of the Taiwanese guys are as big of nasty losers as the white guys they are with. [/quote]

I didn’t say the Taiwanese guy was always gorgeous, just often better than the white guy. Though, again, that is my opinion. :smiley:

The old “Western men only get the avergae girls” cliche.

I’ve met quite a few Forumosans with gorgeous Taiwanese wives.

Brian

I get very confused as to what kinds of foreign guys Taiwanese girls consider to be good-looking.

Time and again, I’ve seen what I’d have thought would be universally regarded as a really hunky specimen of eye-pleasing manhood, but when I’ve pointed him out and asked the Taiwanese girl or girls with me what they think, the response has more often been negative than otherwise. Conversely, when I’ve seen what I think is a truly grotty-looking guy with an oglesome girl, and have made some derogatory comment about the pairing or wondered what on earth she could see in him, I’ve found I’m as likely as not to be told that in fact he’s rather dishy.

So I really don’t know: these days, when I see a gorgeous Taiwanese girl with a less-than-presentable foreign bloke, I just assume that he must have physical attractions that the girl can perceive but to which I’m blind.

[quote=“Omniloquacious”]So I really don’t know: these days, when I see a gorgeous Taiwanese girl with a less-than-presentable foreign bloke, I just assume that he must have physical attractions that the girl can perceive but to which I’m blind.[/quote]Or maybe she likes him for other things ? Maybe he’s nice :idunno:

I include niceness and other such characteristics as part of the appearance. Eyes that shine with kindness, liveliness, humour and intelligence make the most homely features attractive. Eyes that are glazed with egotism, arrogance and ill-nature make the most well-chiseled features repulsive. It’s all factored into how I rate a person’s looks, and I assume it’s likewise factored into a girl’s assessment of a potential paramour.

I include niceness and other such characteristics as part of the appearance. Eyes that shine with kindness, liveliness, humour and intelligence make the most homely features attractive. Eyes that are glazed with egotism, arrogance and ill-nature make the most well-chiseled features repulsive. It’s all factored into how I rate a person’s looks, and I assume it’s likewise factored into a girl’s assessment of a potential paramour.[/quote]

Omni, I agree with your assessment of that extra-something that personality adds to looks. I’ve seen guys who, at first glance I don’t find all that (let alone the bag of chips), but once I talk to them, see their smile, the twinkle in their eye, hear their laugh, and/or etc… They become more attractive.

As I said earlier, beauty (and handsome) is in the eye of the beholder and depends on what things they are beholding. :smiley:

Added after the fact: I just realized that with this post, I’ve reached 500 posts. Woo HOO! :rainbow: :bouncy:

Thank goodness for “beauty is in the eye of the beholder”. If it wasn’t for that, I would never get any action. :laughing:

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]The old “Western men only get the avergae girls” cliche.

I’ve met quite a few Forumosans with gorgeous Taiwanese wives.

Brian[/quote]

Over here, yes, that’s me. Oops, we haven’t met. :blush:

Thing is we’ll think of it like meat, excuse the expression, I don’t mean it like “that”. :blush: If you’d become used to eating imported meat would you ever go back to the domestic product, that is unless there was a “mad cow (foreigner)” type scare. Hell no, have you ever eaten Taiwanese meat?

Now take the above picture and put it into a relationship context.

I heard many Taiwanese girls say that after dating a foreigner they could never go back to dating Taiwanese men.

Ok, another picture for you guys - Imported beer or Taiwan Beer?

BFM has a very valid point. Most of us are writing about things that are purely physical when it is possible that the Taiwanese woman is looking at the guy from a different perspective.

I have been told more than once by different Taiwanese women that when they see a really good-looking guy, they think he would make a good boyfriend. However, they would not really consider that guy marriage material because they fear that he may not be faithful to them. Instead, I have been told that such things as having a good job, a nice personality, and other things not related to looks are important in a husband.

So, it is possible that the Taiwanese woman is with a foreigner not because she thinks he is terrific looking but perhaps she sees other things about him that are appealing to her.

You mean to treat a foriegn guy as something more than a sex object…hahahaha Don’t make me laugh…Okay it could be possible, maybe? :laughing:

That’s assuming they’re using logic when entering a relationship. Show me a Taiwanese woman that uses logic in a relationship, and I will show you a Taiwanese she-male. :wink:

I just asked a Taiwanese friend this question and this was his reply:

1. The foreign guy: He just wants to have sex.
  2. The Taiwanese woman: She just wants a big dick.

Taiwan women realize, on the whole, that foreign men will treat them better than Taiwanese/Chinese men will. What’s hard to understand about that?

How come these two quotes show a contradiction. If the Taiwan girl wanted a prick as boyfriend she could have just gone out with anyone. :wink: