First time in Taiwan

“Language exchanges” still appear to be quite popular

Costco sells 1.75L(also phillipine rt store) house brand irish cream ( baileys or maybe carolines) for about 500nt thats not bad… and simple and welcome sell half liter euro beers 3/100nt or sometimes cheaper and sometimes 3/120

So i guess its where you shop and where come from as to how expensive tw alcohol is
Now wine i buy spanish or chile about 220nt a bottle wine is definitely cheaper in Europe.omg i miss 2 buck chuck in usa…
How about cocktails in euro at a bar?

Paid around NT$ 590 for 1L Baileys at Costco, I think. But yeah - special offers might make it cheaper.

Really depends on the country and area. In Germany, you can get €5 (NT$ 165) “Cocktails” (read: Mixed drinks consisting of juice and some cheap liquor) during happy hour at some places. If craving for “real” cocktails, probably should be willing to spend at least €10 to €15 per drink (NT$ 330 to NT$500). Everything above that, I’d consider as expensive.

I guess, maybe I shoud’ve phrased it better as @Rzarobbie said but either ways if you look at it prepared alcohol is expensive. hell craft beers are too, even local ones. a pint was 330nt. whereas local craft beers are around $7. bottled liqour off the shelf seems affordable, like a bottle of gin being 500nt which I say is decent.

language exchange you say ? will check those out.

Careful. I tried that and ended up with a Taiwanese wife, three kids, two car payments and a home mortgage.

4 Likes

You’ll find that alcohol at liquor stores is actually quite cheap!

You’ve been hella lucky with your cab drivers.

Dammit all I got was a trip to the urologist :flushed:

3 Likes

FYI

You ever have purple urine? It’s very unsettling.

1 Like

2 Likes

any suggestions on english based shopping sites here in Taiwan ? or sites that provide an english option under language settings ? thanks

I don’t think that actually exists.

Closest thing I could think of is Carrefour, but I believe it’s not a complete English option of the website.

2 Likes

Iherb?

That’s why Taiwanese girls do language exchange
The secret is out

anyone know where I can find HEPA filters ? my local carrefour doesn’t seem to carry any ? oh and garment steamers, nothing fancy something I can dispose away later on without trying to resell ie chinese branded ones or local

1 Like

Finally went to a bar that wasn’t empty or close to empty. Near Tamkang University. Ran into it as an alternative since the one I wanted to go to was closed - Sip Gallery yet they say it’s open daily 9pm - 3am. Midnight place was closed.

Maybe it’s time I change hobbies from drinking at bars to coffee shops to conversate with people ?

2 Likes

When i first came here i was shocked being alone how hard it was to find a busy social bar to blend in.
Found bars some with nobody inside on a Friday or Saturday night. Tw love to eat and drink at restaurants… when alone its strange to join there group, but some tw will invite you to join, depending how drunk theyare

1 Like

I would think that people at bars with a few drinks in would be a bit more social than a coffee shop where they most likely are digital nomadding.

Just have to find the right bar. I would suggest hitting up places with bars with bar stools where you can converse with the bartender. Through him/her you will meet the other regulars at the bar who could be drinking solo or waiting for their group of friends.

Good luck!

1 Like

FIFY

2 Likes