Fitness accessory deathmatch: Nike, Jawbone, Fitbit, Garmin ...?

A few friends have persuaded me to do a 10K with them. Does anybody here have any (good or bad) experiences with these gadgets that they can kindly share? Or in cases where you’ve tried at least two, which would you recommend and why?

I’m mostly down to either the Fuelband or the UP, but if anyone can make a good case for the Fitbit Flex, I’m all ears.

1 Like

I have an UP, but I don’t use it for fitness. In fact I only wear it at night and I only use it to collect my sleep data.

It’s very good, I think. The breakout between deep and light sleep is pretty close for me, I reckon.

Would definitely recommend it, but it has some shortcomings as a device (no Bluetooth, thickish on the wrist, catches on shirt sleeves).

I made a market research presentation for my company for all the fitness + food + Sleep bands out there. Let me know if you need them, it consists of UP, Fitbit, Lark e.t.c

Interestingly, Jawbone UP has contracts with fareast one in Taiwan. So you can buy it there. Not sure about the English compatibility though. I am currently leaning towards buying the Jawbone UP

I have tried or owned most of these. I currently use the fitbit flex because I lost several of the older clip on fitbits (the price you pay for being small/discreet) I actually plan to switch back to using a fitbit one because I dont like wearing it when I sleep and sleep tracking is very important to me. The cloth wristband of the fitbit one is more comfortable when youre asleep.

the size, quality, lack of capabilities (usually sleep tracking or software integration) put me off the other brands

[quote=“flike”]I have an UP, but I don’t use it for fitness. In fact I only wear it at night and I only use it to collect my sleep data.

It’s very good, I think. The breakout between deep and light sleep is pretty close for me, I reckon.

Would definitely recommend it, but it has some shortcomings as a device (no Bluetooth, thickish on the wrist, catches on shirt sleeves).[/quote]
exactly, isn’t jawbone known for its bluetooth devices? weird. I have an odd feeling that I might loose the cap pretty soon. fingers crossed

[quote=“hs172”]I made a market research presentation for my company for all the fitness + food + Sleep bands out there. Let me know if you need them, it consists of UP, Fitbit, Lark e.t.c

Interestingly, Jawbone UP has contracts with fareast one in Taiwan. So you can buy it there. Not sure about the English compatibility though. I am currently leaning towards buying the Jawbone UP[/quote]
I just got one at the apple store, each of the boxes come with a measuring ring but already I can tell you they run a little small (trading it back for a larger one soon), so when in doubt go a size up (no pun intended).

[quote=“Lo Pan”]I have tried or owned most of these. I currently use the fitbit flex because I lost several of the older clip on fitbits (the price you pay for being small/discreet) I actually plan to switch back to using a fitbit one because I don’t like wearing it when I sleep and sleep tracking is very important to me. The cloth wristband of the fitbit one is more comfortable when youre asleep.

the size, quality, lack of capabilities (usually sleep tracking or software integration) put me off the other brands[/quote]
the UP has both iphone and android apps, and like flike mentioned, it does monitor your sleep (apparently it also gives useful data on your diet as well, you can scan what you eat with your phone, and the app will do the rest). I have heard good things about those fitbit ones though I do agree with you that clip-ons are kind of inconvenient. still prefer a wristband.

I’m taking my time to see how the jawbone works for me, and will likely trade it in for a fuelband in a couple of weeks for comparison.

i have the earlier generation Fitbit and can’t go anywhere without it. i love it. It keeps track of my steps and show how long and intense my workouts are. I don’t wear it to sleep any more but when I did, it showed how often I woke up at night. Highly recommended.

[quote=“Rockefeller”][quote=“Lo Pan”]
the size, quality, lack of capabilities (usually sleep tracking or software integration) put me off the other brands[/quote]
the UP has both iphone and android apps, and like flike mentioned, it does monitor your sleep (apparently it also gives useful data on your diet as well, you can scan what you eat with your phone, and the app will do the rest). [/quote]

What I meant by lack of software integration was that they dont integrate well with other devices or allow you to share your data between platforms. For example, if you have a heartrate monitor and/or GPS tracker to monitor your runs, a WiFi scale to track your weight, an app to track your diet, etc. and you want to combine information from these different systems to get a more complete picture, most of these fitness trackers do not play well with others (Polar is particularly bad about it :raspberry: ) but Fitbit seems to be the best overall about letting you share info between them (as long as you do it through fitbit’s interface… thats the catch)

… but I still recommend the fitbit

where can you get the fitbit in taiwan ?

There are several of them listed on Yahoo Taiwan auctions. For example, this:
http://tw.page.bid.yahoo.com/tw/auction/b93201984;_ylt=Aggoeco4R0qYQiOi3XzZWplyFbN8;_ylv=3

If I buy them from here, do you think they will have English compatibility?

Of course. It is not a product that has been redesigned for the taiwan market. Those sellers are guys that bought them in the US and are reselling into taiwan. Expect to pay more for buying them here or you could order in the US and have it shipped over yourself… total price would likely be about the same except the guys selling here will charge a little markup for their time

they also sell them at apple stores with the other fitness accessories (where I got my up, also where they sell nike fuelbands)

Of course. It is not a product that has been redesigned for the taiwan market. Those sellers are guys that bought them in the US and are reselling into Taiwan. Expect to pay more for buying them here or you could order in the US and have it shipped over yourself… total price would likely be about the same except the guys selling here will charge a little markup for their time[/quote]

Thanks. Yet another cool gadget hah

I have been to the apple store in gongguan and guting and no luck. Which one has these do you recall ?

Hi riggers, I am in the States. Previously I assumed (knowing Apple’s obsession with their ecosystem) most if not all Apple stores worldwide stock pretty much the same stuff, now it may seem it isn’t so in this specific dept. Which device were you looking for?

Would any of you gentlemen/ladies kindly point him in the right direction?

I am looking for the fitbit flex.

Thanks for trying rockerfella ! I was going past those stores anyway so no t8me wasted.

I’m trying to get distribution right from it :smiley:

Any news on these? Would LOVE to get my hands on a Fitbit Flex.

I am also interested in the UP. Is there a store that carries them or is it online only?

Got the new FitBit One off of ruten.com and love it. It’s even better now that it measures flights of stairs that you’ve climbed. A friend on mine put his on a piece of string and made a necklace out of it so he never loses it. Very clever. Highly recommend the One.