"Fixing" an a/c remote that requires pushing the buttons really hard

I’m probably asking for the impossible here, but is there some sort of hack or trick for fixing/ improving an air conditioner remote? It does work, but you have to really mash the button down, and by the time you push it hard enough, it’ll toggle through the next couple of choices, necessitating a whole new cycle. I encounter this issue on several remotes, both at home and on campus.

Batteries in the one at home have just been replaced, so that’s not the issue.

I see from this thread that you can get new remotes, which is something I may consider.

(Today in Discourse’s “Your topic is similar to …” alert: it comes up with “Buttigieg criticizes Beto for threading to revoke churches tax exempt status over gay marriage.” So that’s weird.)

Open it up, pull the buttons off, clean button contact pad and circuitboard contacts with 99% Isopropanol. Let dry.

Use toothbrush.

7 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I was going to suggest too. Probably some dirt between the button and PCB contact.

I also agree that people should brush their teeth.

3 Likes

Maybe it picked up on “Push[ing the] butt[on] really hard”? :smirk:

1 Like

Turning on an a/c remote is very much like turning on a beautiful woman.

Ramming it hard isn’t, usually, going to work. Be gentle. Caress, don’t bang.

As other posters have suggested, she might need a bit of a clean up. Can get a bit crusty over time.

2 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue:

Yes. A toothbrush and Isopropanol are a great way to scrub dirt and corrosion from electronics.

Continuing with the somewhat dim questions: I assume this 75% alcohol we’ve all got now isn’t the right stuff? Or is it? Assuming not, what’s 99% isopropanol going to be called if I walk into an, um … well, what store do I walk into? Pharmacy, for rubbing alcohol?

It’s not - too much water. I’d personally use pure ethanol if I only had that (although most ethanol you can buy easily is just >95%, with the rest being water), but isopropanol is supposedly better for electronics.

I usually buy 99.8% isopropanol on Shopee (for making hand sanitizer, can search for “IPA” or “異丙醇”) for 105 TWD per liter, but you can also try the chemical shops on Tianshui Road (between Beimen and Zhongshan MRT stations - I remember you live in the north of the city). I presume you can also get it in certain pharmacies, but I didn’t have much luck when I tried that.

If it was me and I didn’t have any isopropanol and couldn’t be bothered going to get some, I’d personally be fine trying to clean the contacts with 75% ethanol. I’d just then be careful to only use it on the PCB contacts and any non-electronic parts after disassembling the remote and removing the batteries. That is, putting it on a tissue and wiping the PCB contacts and backs of the buttons, and making sure not to get any on the display or any electronic components, then letting everything dry properly. I’d prefer to use IPA though.

Edit:

• This is the chemical shop I prefer on Tianshui Road. They had IPA the last time I went there in February or so, 60 TWD for 500 mL, and speak some English.
  • This is the IPA I buy on Shopee (probably not worth the delivery fee if that’s all you’re buying, but seems to be eligible for free delivery to OK Mart above 99 TWD if you use the free shipping vouchers).
1 Like

You want this. Non conductive.

Chinese Pinyin Yi Bing Chun

Example on circuitboard cleaning.

1 Like

Check the model of your home AC, go to the department store where they sell lot of AC remote, choose the one which is compatible with yours. Doing the mating and done! it is 200 NTS around that, easier than fixing :smiley:

If all else fails, you can replace the remote. They’re pretty universal.

But try to clean the buttons first.