Flavors - Swedish restaurant in Taipei

I’m giving up on this place. Was in the area today, rang them (3rd time I have tried to eat there) for a reservation at 6PM, and was told they’re closed and relocating.

The Swedish restaurant Flavors have indeed moved. I think their new kitchen is nearly as large as their old dining room. The new place looks really nice too. I was there on Friday for the “Swedish beer night” arranged by the Swedish Trade Office. I had the meatballs and potatoes and they were just as yummy as usual.

Their website says something about “molecular gastronomy” which I am not sure what that is.

http://www.flavors.com.tw

Elias

Giving up on them would be your loss, trust me. I was there last week with my folks, and the meal was sensational! The food, the wine, the service - everything was first class, and the price was VERY reasonable. The same meal at Paris 1930 in the Landis Hotel would cost you twice as much easily, and it wouldn’t (couldn’t) taste any better. Ola and Stephanie have hit one out of the ballpark with this place - I can’t recommend it enough.

Wanted to give a bump to this old thread. I went to Flavors a few months ago and it was good! I definitely recommend it to anyone who hasn’t tried it.

You MUST order the apple cake. SO good. I would go back for that alone.

I got the Swedish meatballs, but there’s a lot of grilled meats (lamb, pork, beef) and fish options. There are a few set menus if you can’t decide, but their main dishes include a soup I think. The meatballs were yummy and the roasted potatoes were really great.

The ambiance is definitely suitable for a romantic night out. They have a no-kids policy.

Flavors won “most unexpected find in Taipei” on my blog’s reader’s choice poll… and I have to agree. I don’t know if I ever would have tried Swedish food in the states, but I’m glad it’s available here.

I’ll be posting reviews and pictures soon…

Thanks for bumping this hungryintaipei. You have been a very busy girl today. :bravo:

I haven’t been there for a while but you have to try the ribs. Freakin’ incredible.

Finally got here today for lunch… and a delicious lunch it was. My boy had the meatballs and my wife had the sea bass and I had the venison… all were very good. The orange and pumpkin soup was outstanding as was the homemade bread. We tried some appetizers (3 x cornets, 3 x snapas, and smorgasbord), and all were quite good. The apple scone with vanilla cream for dessert was very good.

Ola and Stephanie are very friendly and happy to explain the menu and suggest appropriate wines.

We’ll be going back, especially as Flavors is now located in Taipei City proper.

I realized I never posted the link to the actual review after last mentioning it in june- here it is:

hungryintaipei.blogspot.com/2009 … mmend.html

I wish the pictures had turned out better, but the lighting was dark and it was a point and shoot. Romantic lighting, I guess! :slight_smile:

Vanessa and I had dinner there last night with another Forumosan couple and we were again in gastronomic heaven. Flavors is fine dining at its finest. The service, the atmosphere, but especially the food was just superb. I can’t recommend this place enough. :slight_smile:

Set meals start at around $1000, but the value for your money is indisputable. Two thumbs up! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Don’t know what the fuzz is all about. The food is completely ordinary, and not particularly cheap. Ok, it’s the only Swedish food in town apart from IKEA, so you haven’t got much choice. Got a distintly unfavorable impression when calling to reserve a table the other day. The attitude of the woman answering the phone was arrogant, bordering on rude. Perhaps the success has gone to their heads. It wouldn’t be the first time that happened to a restaurant. But what restaraunts like that always forget, steeped in their stupid arrogance, is this: Restaurant visits are not just supposed to be pleasing to the taste buds. It’s a total experience, and the behavior of the staff is important too.

Geez dude, 4 posts about the same thing ? Do you perhaps have some vendetta against them or something ?

i was there about a motnh ago, service, hospitality, food were all absolutely great! Yes it was a bit more expensive than your regular restaurant, but it was a good overall experience. Would def go back there agian!

Eskimo, did you raise any of your concerns with the restaurant management before slating them on a public forum?

Four post only because the first three were censored by Forumosa.

I’ve been there only once, but in terms of food, service, ambience and yes, even the slightly high price, it rates among one of the nicest places at which I’ve ever eaten. I certainly got no impression of arrogance or any other kind negative vibe about the place. Just VERY good food in a VERY nice atmosphere with VERY nice staff.
Hats off to them for making such a success out of such a tiny niche market. Long may they continue.
Bjork bjork, y’all!

Yes, we do our very best to weed out idiocy on the forums. Sometimes we come up short. I’m letting your fourth post stand as testament to our failings in this regard, and also because you added a very wee bit of substance (the food was ordinary). Normally, I’d temp that as lacking necessary pith, but your insistence to display your ignorance wins the day! Well done, Eskimo! :bravo:

For future reference, you’re going to need a lot more substance than a perceived (and unarticulated) unpleasant telephone manner if you want to disparage a restaurant. And repeatedly posting the same bumfluff AFTER you’ve been warned by PM would normally get you suspended quickly. You’re lucky it’s Christmas, or that it’s a sunny day, or something. Don’t do it again, please. :no-no:

The woman who answers the phone IS rude!

I dealt with a very rude woman there a few years ago, when they relocated.

Then today we decided to try them out (at hubby’s insistence).

This time hubby rang to inquire about prices and times…and according to him the woman who answered the phone was also rude and impatient.

Not sure it was the same woman as two years ago.

I’ve heard great things about their food, but decided to not go ahead with a booking in order to avoid any potential unpleasantness that may occur when dealing with her in person.