Flowers

So it dawned on me whilst I was walking down a Taipei street, as the serene aroma of flora from a nearby flower shop drifted out through the air, that I have not presented any flowers to my lovelly girlfriend since I was in England.

Appalled by my obvious lack of gentlemanly behaviour I entered the premises with the view of making a potential flower purchase.

And then I remembered the reason for not purchasing flowers sooner.
Some flowers represent mourning and are unlucky. Just like back home, flowers represent a meaning, well-wishing or bad luck if given at the wrong time of year. Not wishing to fall into the trap of embarrassment by submitting unsuitable or undesireable flowers; and as I was perplexed by the diverse amount of flowers on display to me, I decided to give up and get something else for her.

The mop and bucket matched her shoes.

So my question: Which flowers (except roses) are suitable and which flowers are not, for the purpose of giving to a lady friend?

Just don’t buy white. Tell the florist it’s for your girlfirend and see what s/he comes up with.

Brian

Colorful daisies or sunflowers are nice…

I don’t know where your girlfriend comes, but I know that in the U.S., yellow means “just wanna be friends.”

The obvious choice would be the kind of flowers your gf likes.

If you don’t know then shame on you … :wink:

White is often associated with funerals, yellow roses say “it’s been nice knowing you – don’t let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.” chrysanthemums are funeral flowers, I think that covers the basics – imagine not knowing what flowers your girlfriend prefers!

If I wanted to be only friends with a woman, the last thing I’d do is give her flowers.

I’ve never heard of the yellow being a “just friends” thing, but then again I’m just a poor city boy. Perhaps that’s also why (not knowing a lick about flowers and such) I’ve been single for so long! :laughing:

All the women I know are thrilled when I bring them flowers and I never consider the PC qualities of the color or kind. I think the modern Chinese/Taiwanese woman appreciates the gift of flowers regardless of some hackneyed saws on what a flower or color means.
Ladies? What do you say?

Yes, despite all the formal etiquette on flowers and their colors…I would be thrilled to get most any species/color of flower.

Merry Christmas!

I got chocolates. It was easier. :sunglasses:

Perhaps next week when I go past the florist I’ll pop in and get a bouquet.

Thanks for the heads up guys.

Apart from the fact that my favorite flowers are easy to guess :wink:, I like flowers so much, I’d even put up with Carnations if they came as a present. Besides, any guy trying to convey a message to me by picking special flowers wouldn’t be very successful because not knowing the codes, I probably wouldn’t get it :s

A friend once brought a box full of different potted primroses for my birthday - it was the best present he ever gave me (no need to say that when we became a couple much later, I never again got any flowers from him :s ).

Merry Christmas![/quote]

Thank you, sweets! That’s quite an arrangement. Soft and beautiful on the inside, wild and prickly on the outside. Is that how you perceive me?

Nonetheless, I’m just so happy it’s not smoked salmon!

Yeah, and I hear you ate them all yourself, too. :unamused:

Just be sure not to eat those too. :stuck_out_tongue:

So what was wrong with the flowers that I bought for your birthday? :s

[quote=“Rascal”]
So what was wrong with the flowers that I bought for your birthday? :s[/quote]

The color, the size, the amount and the smell. Maybe you should bring chocolate next year!
:wink: :wink: :wink:

There you go men, whatever effort you make it’s never good enough.

Next time I will bring the chocolate - and eat it myself in front of you.
At least one of us will appreciate it then … :wink: :wink: :wink:

Merry Christmas![/quote]

Thank you, sweets! That’s quite an arrangement. Soft and beautiful on the inside, wild and prickly on the outside. Is that how you perceive me?[/quote]

Slow and sluggish when its cold. Feisty and more slippery than greased lightning once you get hotted up. Um, we are talking about your avatar, aren’t we? :wink:

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“aprimo”]

Thank you, sweets! That’s quite an arrangement. Soft and beautiful on the inside, wild and prickly on the outside. Is that how you perceive me?[/quote]

Slow and sluggish when its cold. Feisty and more slippery than greased lightning once you get hotted up. Um, we are talking about your avatar, aren’t we? :wink:[/quote]

Ah, yes, and a picture can be more than a thousand words, can’t it? :wink: