Food inflation, local trend or worldwide?

Obviously. I was merely pointing out that, in the narrow issue of acute food shortages, the problem is not caused by stupid tree-huggers who refuse to accept that farming = NPK in sacks.

Where there are production problems, it’s because those sacks of NPK aren’t there - but that’s going to cause issues down the line, not this week. Where producers are not reliant on NPK and are therefore still producing, their immediate issue is that there’s no means of getting their products out of the farm gate.

Update on Sri Lanka.
It’s out of foreign exchange reserves. Using some of $130mn from World Bank and some remittances from Sri Lankans working overseas to import fuel and cooking gas.
Negotiations with IMF are halted due to ongoing political crisis that has forced mass governmental resignations (including finance minister).
Long lines of people at fueling stations and cooking stations all over Sri Lanka.

Perhaps thu can jave some assistance from the belt and road initiative?

Sucks to live somewhere with such fuggery going on. People deserve better.

Taiwan is now having the usual pre summer inflation trend due to (finally!) having a real plum rain season this year. I found it interesting how fast some people i do business with forget environmental norms after the past decade being super crazy weather wise. we have had many years this past decade without a plum rain and people got use to that luxury of bumper crops and the enevitable low prices. This year is a normal year, with good rains now. As such, wholesale on local produce has skyrocketed the last couple weeks.

Just in case people that are prone to worry about things too much… This isnt russia, china or aliens. Its the normal cycle of taiwans domestic plant production :slight_smile: a lot of things have doubled and tripled over the past 2 weeks. On the wholesale level. Meat normally isnt affected much by this, outside of the usual greed taking advantage of the worry culture. If a person only shops at costco, this wont be relevant :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This May we have had, I read, the lowest average temperatures in 68 years. I dunno if I would call this “normal” . . .

Maybe the south has gotten off better than the north?

Guy

1 Like

I was referring to this year actually having a rainy season, not temperature. We have had many years without a spring rain season, which isnt normal.

Look at that.

That looks like an undated map showing global gas prices. Yummy?

It’s the worldwide petrol price NOW. See how insanely expensive it is in Europe.

Definitely worried about inflation getting worse. Taiwan is an import machine after all.

Things are really expensive today. I’m half-seriously considering to move to Thailand. Through their elite visa or new long-term visa. I get that it’s not cheap for locals and their salary, but still cheap for foreign income. They have plan to finally fix their MRT/BTS system in the next few years, but I’m skeptical about it. Perks of living under a super corrupt government.

Yeah, I’m planning a long trip back there later this year, though not really related to food prices. Still contemplating just how long I can get away with (mostly because it’ll irritate me to be paying 21k/month rent in Taipei while I’m not here)…

Consider Japan, so far prices have not risen a lot, and rents/housing are lower than Taiwan,
If your paid in USA$ then you get about 15- 20% more than a year ago.

3 Likes

I think it’s a bit more difficult and costly to get long term visa in Japan. The best chance is probably setting up a fake business and get the business manager visa. Which I believe is what pewdiepie did.

Also language schools in Tokyo are expensive last time I checked.

1 Like

It cost me around $4,000 US total to get a business manager visa in Japan and seemed fairly easy. The only real problems with a Japan business manager visa are finding a landlord who rents office space to foreigners, getting a business bank account, the fact that you need to pay about 500,000 yen per year business taxes even if you make no money, finding a tax accountant who speaks decent English, and the fact that accountants charge about 50,000 yen a month for their services for a small company. Getting an office and business bank account are way more difficult than they should be.

4 Likes

Taiwan is more lasez faire on a lot of things compared to Japan. More live and let live attitude here if you aren’t family.

1 Like

Huh, it reminds me of the Taiwan’s 200k USD “investment” visa experience shared by Bimmerjeff. Setting up business bank account, need a CPA to do the accounting, etc. The difference is it’s cheaper, and doesn’t have the office and local employee requirements. I think.

1 Like

Japan no longer requires a local employee. Taiwan is a far easier place to run a business and make a profit. With the yen now at 135/USD and possibly rising to 150 later this year Japan is cheap for anyone spending US dollars here. Trying to make money is getting difficult if your business relies on importing components or finished goods.

4 Likes

meanwhile one year later from the first post, inflation is worse (much more). Did some not notice last year as I and others did, bad gov workers who not notice this.

2 Likes

I feel like I am getting squeezed on all sides. Food across the board has gone up, from what is already a pretty high base. Shrinkflation in restaurants. I really can’t believe how much it costs to produce factory farmed meat and eggs in Taiwan. Some recent examples in Taipei:

Dragonfruits more expensive this year at the markets - maybe just beginning of the season effect?
Imported kiwi fruit across the board more expensive from last year.
Trays of meat at PX mart are more expensive than a year ago. Chicken at the markets seems dearer. >200 for one leg piece the other week (!).

Most times I punch the price of something into a supermarket web page from my home country, it is almost invariably cheaper there, on a nominal basis, to be clear that is no adjustment for the lower wages in Taiwan.

Aside: Fruits have been, generally speaking, across the board pretty disgusting for a year or more, with some exceptions. The pineapples this year had zero acidity, just all sweetness. And I’m giving the chalky guavas and spongey American import fuji apples a wide berth for a while at the markets. There’s a smattering of lychees hitting the markets now, let’s hope we have a better season than last year. I didn’t check the price, but we all know which way it will have moved!

3 Likes